OT: AI finds Q. Does it matter?

Who founded the conspiracy theory QAnon?

Computer scientists used a mathematical approach known as stylometry to trace the still-unknown Q to a man who originally “discovered” and publicized Q’s wacko tweets. According to this evidence, the so-called “discoverer” actually wrote the messages himself but attributed them to Q. According to this, the original Q, Paul Furber, is a South African software developer and tech journalist.

Subsequently, a different man started writing as Q and hijacked QAnon. Ron Watkins, who operated a website where the Q messages began appearing in 2018 and is now running for Congress in Arizona. Mr. Watkins appears to have taken over from Mr. Furber at the beginning of 2018. Both deny writing as Q.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/19/technology/qanon-messages…

Does it matter? Q has now gone silent, without posting a message since December 2020.

I don’t follow conspiracy theorists. I’d rather stick needles into my eyes than read this garbage on Twitter or watch it on TV. But my understanding is that conspiracy theorists are doing fine all by themselves without Q egging them on in person.

Society has a very warped strain running through it. Many people (who knows how many?) not only believe in conspiracy theories but act on them – for example, risking their lives by not getting vaccinated against Covid-19. This is a real menace to society. It’s like a virus which starts with a single mutation, spreads a deadly disease and then mutates way beyond the original instigator.

Wendy

23 Likes

Thanks!

Q identified and he (them) are no surprise as to the “content of their character.”

Society has a very warped strain running through it. Many people (who knows how many?) not only believe in conspiracy theories but act on them

The antidote to this warping is very simple, and should be applied universally. The often hideous but also utterly brilliant Lord Protector Oliver Cromwell made one ([deeply, ahem] Christian) statement on it: “Sirs, I beg you, in the bowels of Christ, to consider the possibility that you might be wrong?” !.

Better still was what a smart woman told me back when I was still*** a young horribly presumptuous mostly small scale successful whippersnapper:

“David, your life will always be a failure and a screwup until you realize this one supremely simple yet obvious fact: You, YOU especially, are Wrong Now and you will Always Be Wrong no matter what you think or tell yourself, and Never Forget It.”

It was the best advice anyone ever gave me, but it took me ten years to even understand what she was telling me, let alone to act on it, mostly wrongly.

david fb
***Now I am an old fort rather than a whippersnapper, and as most of you have noticed still have strongly held wrong opinions…

8 Likes

I just finished watching a YouTube video about The Far Side cartoons, so I was rather startled to see this.

I’ll leave it there.

:wink:

Wendy

1 Like

<“You, YOU especially, are Wrong Now and you will Always Be Wrong no matter what you think or tell yourself, and Never Forget It.”>

Was that smart woman … no, perish the thought … your mother?

:wink:

Wendy

Mom heartily endorsed the David needs to learn humility sentiment (Dad not heartily but agreeing), but no, my teacher was a woman named Candace, five years older than me, enormously more disciplined, an escapee from an isolated dying Arkansas town who had moved to California and awakened to her own knowledge beyond her self-hating Baptist background and then exploded into success, and was one of the best persons I have ever met, ever crotch kicking the successful and arrogant, while comforting the hardworking but screwed over.

Mom outranks her, but then on that score I am deeply prejudiced.

david fb

5 Likes

Society has a very warped strain running through it. Many people (who knows how many?) not only believe in conspiracy theories but act on them

The antidote to this warping is very simple, and should be applied universally. The often hideous but also utterly brilliant Lord Protector Oliver Cromwell made one ([deeply, ahem] Christian) statement on it: “Sirs, I beg you, in the bowels of Christ, to consider the possibility that you might be wrong?” !.

Sadly, logic holds no sway with those who believe in conspiracy theories. Their belief is a matter of faith, not evidence.

It breaks my heart to have one branch of my family that holds on tight to these theories, no matter how ridiculous. Usually, their conspiracy theories are relatively harmless, but in the case of vaccines, it killed off an otherwise smart, loving, productive, kind young man. Did the remaining family run out and get vaccinated afterwards? Wear a mask? Accept responsibility? Hell no. Instead they blamed the hospital for not using cures “they had heard of” to cure him of Covid. Amongst this group is my sister, who holds a masters degree in nursing. They are extremely capable of learning, but refuse to look at what is around them. Logic is irrelevant when one closes their eyes and puts their fingers in their ears, chanting “I can’t hear you,” over and over again. No, this is not literally what they do, but effectively? Yes.

I wish I knew what the solution was, but logic isn’t it.

IP,
certain they pray for my unrepentant soul nonetheless

22 Likes

“Subsequently, a different man started writing as Q and hijacked QAnon. Ron Watkins, who operated a website where the Q messages began appearing in 2018 and is now running for Congress in Arizona”

yeah, this matters, for obvious reasons !!

“David, your life will always be a failure and a screwup until you realize this one supremely simple yet obvious fact: You, YOU especially, are Wrong Now and you will Always Be Wrong no matter what you think or tell yourself, and Never Forget It.”

File under a dog must chase his own tail.

The truth always matters. It’s great that these computers confirmed what the great documentary series, Q-Into the Storm, uncovered in 2021. The tenacious director, Cullen Hoback, and producer, Adam MacKay, tracked down the truth about Q, revealing the creep who is running for Congress in Arizona. See him in all his filth. Like Rudy Giuliani in Borat’s last movie.

If we are to triumph over conspiracy theories and have any chance against the predators that promote them, then we better be able to stand to see who they really are, or she we leave the sheep to their slaughter – and possibly our own because we lack the courage of our convictions?

3 Likes

or shall we…

editing!