OT: Chromebooks expire

DH and I are LBYMers who use old stuff as long as it’s functional. I was shocked to see that Chromebooks are built to expire.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/before-you-buy-a-chromebook-che…

**Before You Buy a Chromebook, Check the Expiration Date**
**Look up the Auto Update Expiration date on Chrome OS devices you’re shopping for—or already own—to avoid security risks**
**by Michelle Nguyen, The Wall Street Journal, 3/6/2022**

**...**
**Chrome OS devices have a limited shelf life. Google’s Auto Update policy guarantees software updates and security support for a certain number of years.**
**Before you buy a Chromebook, confirm its lifespan. If you already own one, check its longevity now, before it stops getting updates....**

**How to Check**

**If you take only one thing from this column, make it this: Before buying a Chromebook, check the model’s expiration date on Google’s Auto Update policy website. Scroll down to the list of brands, then click the brand to check the model you’re interested in.**

**If you currently own a Chromebook, you can check it yourself, though it’s a bit buried: Click the time on the bottom right. Go to Settings > About Chrome OS > Additional details. You’ll find your auto-update expiration in the “Update schedule” section. About a month before this date, you’ll get a notification for your final software update....** [end quote]

Based on this, I would never buy a Chromebook.
Wendy

7 Likes

Android smartphones come with a limited time period for software updates. Typically, two or three years.

intercst

Same with iPhones. Macs. PC’s. This is not unusual. I would argue it is necessary. And not because it generates new sales. You simply cannot support old hardware forever.

4 Likes

Apple and Microsoft have similar policies. At some point they drop support for old hardware and do not provide software updates.

— links —
How Long Support Mac Software Updates?, November 29, 2021 by Cathie
“What is the lifespan of your Mac?? In theory, if you want your Mac to be usable and secure, you can expect to get 10 years out of it at most. After about seven years, it will stop receiving the latest macOS versions, and then about three more years of security updates will follow.”
https://www.nstec.com/how-long-support-mac-software-updates/…

Windows 10 support ends in 4 years, but this is what you should know now
“Windows 10 will eventually retire with Windows 7 in the graveyard of Microsoft operating systems. But if you’re still using Microsoft’s older OS, don’t stress. Microsoft will continue to support Windows 10 until Oct. 14, 2025.”
https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/windows-10-support-ends-…

7 Likes

Windows and Apple have had about a 10 year support period. Chromebook’s might be less.

Samsung Galaxy Chromebook 2 expiration is June 2028, about 6 years from now.
https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366

My Mac laptop died of old age at 7. The keyboard was starting to go but the real problem was that new versions of software would not run on the old machine with the old processor and old OS. All the old stuff runs but not the new.

BTW the new vs. the old is like the Hare vs. the Tortoise. To back up the old took between 30 minutes and an hour. The new just a few minutes which means I run the backup much more often.

The Captain
wonders what he could do if he got that kind of an update…

oh well…

5 Likes

“I was shocked to see that Chromebooks are built to expire.”

If plastics are used in the construction of a device, the device is built to expire.

Howie52
And reasonably soon.

But if you are not doing more things faster every year, you may not need updates as much
as the advertisers tell you.

Course, you will soon suffer the slings and arrows of fuddie-duddie-ism.

Which can progress to curmudgeonism if exposed to large groups of popular culture.

4 Likes

My Nikon AW120 underwater camera recently has started becoming lobotomized every time I change its battery - requiring me to set its time/dates and some other default settings. I checked and whatever they are using for latency du of CMOS settings during the battery change (battery or capacitor) is shot.

Research on YouTube indicates that the camera guts are like a wristwatch and I’m not going down that slope.

The camera works fine, but at some point, the PITA of continually resetting the thing will likely cause me to replace it. That said, the easy engineering fix would be to have a replaceable hearing aid battery under the main one, but would have increased the cost of the camera by a fraction of a dollar - but wouldn’t force their customers to buy a new camera every eight years (the age of my camera).

Jeff

1 Like

I think you are over reacting to an insignificant problem.

The features that we take for granted and have grown to love about the computers we use every day is that they have continually gotten faster, more powerful and easier to use every year. A computer built 7 or 8 years ago is seldom fast enough, has enough memory or even an acceptable display capable of run the more powerful and complex software of today. Last time I looked Microsoft and Apple attempt to support their operating systems for 10 years and Chromebook cuts off at 8 years. Chromebook may be a bit shorter as they typically sell lower cost hardware that doesn’t have much excess capability at the beginning of life.
Even at 10+ years if you started off with one of the more powerful Mac Pro’s or Windows machine both Apple and Microsoft will still allow you to update for a few more years.

RAM

2 Likes

Wendy

https://chromeunboxed.com/google-aue-chrome-os-chromebooks-u…

Older Chromebooks are starting to get Google’s new 8-year Auto Update Policy
YOU ARE HERE: HOME/ CHROME OS/ OLDER CHROMEBOOKS ARE STARTING TO GET GOOGLE’S NEW 8-YEAR AUTO UPDATE POLICY
MARCH 13, 2020 BY ROBBY PAYNE

Back in mid-January, Google decided to announce its plans for extending the AUE (auto update policy) for new Chromebooks relesed in 2020. That new policy would affect any new Chrome OS device that hits the market this year, effectively guaranteeing buyers regular updates on these new devices until mid-year 2028. What used to be only 4-5 years of support has now grown to 8+ years, and we’re glad for the change.

But, as it turns out, that line may be getting a bit more blurry. Sent over by a reader just yesterday, it appears that the HP Chromebook 14 with AMD processor inside has been granted a new lease on life. You can see in the images below that this is an entry-level Chromebook and, in the settings, clearly set to get updates until June of 2028.

Besides all that, my current Chromebook was a gift from my eldest daughter so if it times out I will just have to inform her it is a dud and she owes me a new one … }};-D

I’ve never actually owned a laptop that was more than four years old, I usually buy something new and shiny … I do have a rather old Ipad2 but we rarely use it except for video calls with BIL in Ecuador.

Tim

1 Like

Last time I looked Microsoft and Apple attempt to support their operating systems for 10 years and Chromebook cuts off at 8 years.

I think you are over reacting to an insignificant problem.

I paid about $1,500 for a MacBookPro. 10 years is 120 months. $12.50 a month. 42¢ per day.

It only lasted 7 years, 84 month. $17.86 a month. 60¢ per day.

The Captain

**Starbucks Menu Prices** 
**FOOD           SIZE      PRICE**
Caffe Latte    Tall      $2.95
Caffe Latte    Grande    $3.65
Caffe Latte    Venti     $4.15
Caffe Mocha    Tall      $3.45
[https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q...](https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=strabuck+latte+price&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8)

2 Likes

Ipad2’s are still very useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5aEVGkkgVo

Jeff

4 Likes

But if you are not doing more things faster every year, you may not need updates as much
as the advertisers tell you.

It depends on the apps you are using.

One time I tried to turn an old iPhone into an audiobook player. I found that Audible required the latest iOS which was not supported on the old iPhone.

PSU

Right this very moment, I am using an Apple MacBook Pro that was purchased in 2012. It has all the latest security updates. In fact, it just received updates sometime on Sunday and rebooted overnight.

Interestingly enough, it STILL performs better in many respects than my new PC from 2021. Sure, its battery isn’t very good at this point, but I don’t use it that way anymore.

Android smartphones come with a limited time period for software updates. Typically, two or three years.

That reminds me about another complaint I have - Android Smartphones have batteries that completely die AND render the device inoperable. I have a bunch of old iPhones and a bunch of old Androids, and all the iPhones will power up properly - those with bad batteries need to be connected to power, of course. But my old Androids, after a while, simply will not power up properly - I’ve tried everything, reset bootloader, factory settings, hard restart, etc. Nothing works, they usually can’t get past the bootloader screen.

Right this very moment, I am using an Apple MacBook Pro that was purchased in 2012. It has all the latest security updates. In fact, it just received updates sometime on Sunday and rebooted overnight.

Your Macbook is not supported by the latest macOS.

PSU

<<Right this very moment, I am using an Apple MacBook Pro that was purchased in 2012. It has all the latest security updates. In fact, it just received updates sometime on Sunday and rebooted overnight.>>

Your Macbook is not supported by the latest macOS.

No, it is stuck at Catalina (MacOS 10). But I didn’t say “latest OS”, I said “latest security updates”, which indeed were pushed to my Mac this Sunday.

I also just got a new MacBook pro a few days ago, but it isn’t fully set up yet for use. It runs Monterey (MacOS 12), and with the new-ish M1 Max processor is super-speedy!

No, it is stuck at Catalina (MacOS 10). But I didn’t say “latest OS”, I said “latest security updates”, which indeed were pushed to my Mac this Sunday.

This thread was about the operating system not being supported. As others have pointed out, it isn’t just Chromebooks where the current operating system isn’t supported on the other machines. Macs, Windows-based, and cellphones “expire” when it comes to being able to use the latest operating system.

PSU

1 Like

This thread was about the operating system not being supported. As others have pointed out, it isn’t just Chromebooks where the current operating system isn’t supported on the other machines. Macs, Windows-based, and cellphones “expire” when it comes to being able to use the latest operating system.

Ahhhh … so “expire” isn’t really the correct word. You can still use those chromebooks after that date, it just won’t update to the latest version. I wonder if that lack of update has more effect than with a traditional OS?

So far I haven’t hit any roadblocks on my old macbook due to using an OS that is 2 versions old. For example, I can update my Chrome browser to whatever the most recent one is. Same for all the other apps I use regularly.

I don’t think this is a big problem for Chromebooks because people buy them because they are cheap, and they can swap them out every few years as necessary.

This thread was about the operating system not being supported.

I went back to check, and the thread is about OS updates and security support.

From the original post in this thread - “Google’s Auto Update policy guarantees software updates and security support for a certain number of years.”

1 Like