OT: Guys and Gals

What do you guys and gals think?

I was glad to see you include “gals”, Saul.
The colloquial use of “guys” has meant, for many years, any group of people, male and/or female.

Born and raised in CA, it wasn’t until I moved to the South that I came to appreciate use of “y’all”. Yes, I suppose it is slang. [But maybe not anymore -?- considering how our language has been severely cut and pasted, of late especially.] It felt slang, foreign and totally out of whack when I lived in CA. “Y’all” wasn’t in my vocabulary. I was a staunch user of “you guys” [to refer to a group of girls, to a group of guys, or to a group of guys and gals].

Admittedly, and most assuredly, my grammar and language skills have suffered greatly from these past 30 yrs in GA. [And truly, that is a gross understatement.] But I no longer think that saying “Hey, y’all” is a malfunction, but rather, an appropriate salutation. Much more appropriate than calling a group of guys, “gals”.

That would be the simple test. If it’s okay to refer to a group of gals as “guys”, then surely it must also be okay to refer to a group of guys as “gals”. No?

[Please don’t anyone get wadded up over this. Just a ditty. OT. Perhaps something to consider.]

5 Likes

I think I tend to just use “guys” when referring to people, I wouldn’t quite address my department as “Gals” (most of those that work for me are female) in a work setting. Plus, Gal is not really the female version of guy, they would be girl.

But says Hi Guys and Girls sounds like you are talking to children and say Hi ladies and gentlemen maybe too formal for a casual note. So I think defaulting to Hi Guys… ends up being the normal.

All too confusing, I will just start typing everybody’s name from now on… all 16 of them

I’m a woman on the Fool and probably heavily outnumbered, what’s the ratio? I’m not sure, maybe 10:1.

On the boards, I truly want to be just one of the guys,

Karen

3 Likes

I’m a woman on the Fool and probably heavily outnumbered, what’s the ratio? I’m not sure, maybe 10:1.

Karen,

My guess is it’s more like 20:1, or even higher.

okapimoon<—another gal. . . mostly a lurker here, but still no problem being included in the moniker “guys”. (And after so many experiences being in ratios the other way around (as a former teacher, editor on a kindergarten magazine, currently in writing workshops and conferences) it’s kind of nice to experience tables turned).

1 Like

I’m a woman on the Fool and probably heavily outnumbered, what’s the ratio? I’m not sure, maybe 10:1

For what it’s worth, while I’m the one that posts and spends the most time here, my wife does keep on top of our portfolio and occasionally reads board posts too, especially in the companies that really interest her. I enjoy this a lot more than she does, but we always discuss changes to our portfolio and agree on them together.

So there may be some lurkers out there :slight_smile:

Neil