Ot -- How it ends

intercst

5 Likes

The sirens were an odd touch?
But, well, that’s all folks!

d fg

1 Like

Sure, but you wouldn’t really know the sun exploded until approximately 8 minutes and 19 seconds after it actually occurred.

I know, small consolation.

2 Likes

Time to build a big fire while there is still fuel. Food could be a problem.

I enjoyed reading The Last Policeman, a murder mystery trilogy set at the end of the world.

"What’s the point in solving murders if we’re all going to die soon, anyway?

Detective Hank Palace has faced this question ever since asteroid 2011GV1 hovered into view. There’s no chance left. No hope. Just six precious months until impact.

The Last Policeman presents a fascinating portrait of a pre-apocalyptic United States. The economy spirals downward while crops rot in the fields. Churches and synagogues are packed. People all over the world are walking off the job—but not Hank Palace. He’s investigating a death by hanging in a city that sees a dozen suicides every week—except this one feels suspicious, and Palace is the only cop who cares."

4 Likes

My men’s book club is starting its 19th year.

Ms. Wolf, who is in a woman’s book club, once asked me questions that went like this:

Ms. Wolf - Tell me about your book club members. Do they have wives and children?
Me - I don’t know.
Ms. Wolf - What do you talk about?
Me - The book.
Ms. Wolf - Oh. We never have time to talk about the book.

But I digress. I recommended The Last Policeman for our 2024 reads. In a very rare move for my nominations, the group voted to read it. Looking forward to it.

2 Likes

Don’t worry, there will be one very close.

WHO HIT THE RESET BUTTON ???

System refuses to post this message.

I was thinking that the EMP may have triggered the sirens.

intercst

That video is not at all how the sun will cease to exist. Stars the size of our sun are too small to suddenly blow up like that. When the hydrogen fuel starts to deplete, the sun will expand, but very, very slowly. It will take millions of years.

From the link above…
In 1.1 billion years from now, the Sun will be 10% brighter than it is today, and this increase in luminosity will also mean an increase in heat energy, which Earth’s atmosphere will absorb. This will trigger a moist greenhouse effect here on Earth that is similar to the runaway warming that turned Venus into the hellish environment we see there today.

In 3.5 billion years from now, the Sun will be 40% brighter than it is right now. This increase will cause the oceans to boil, the ice caps to permanently melt, and all water vapor in the atmosphere to be lost to space. Under these conditions, life as we know it will be unable to survive anywhere on the surface. In short, planet Earth will come to be another hot, dry Venus.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

As the fuel is used up, the diameter of the sun will increase. Eventually, it will be bigger than the orbital diameter of the Earth. But that won’t happen for billions of years.

Calamities can happen, though. Something like the Carrington Event could happen at any time. It already has happened, but we were not as technologically advanced as we are today. A large solar flare could cause serious problems here on the blue planet.

• Pete
2 Likes

What if the aliens blow up the Sun? If they have the technology to travel here, surely the Sun is no match for them.

intercst

3 Likes

What would they do? Set it on fire?

5 Likes

Their anti-grav units could neutralize the pressure of the outer layers of the sun, making for an explosive decompression.

DB2

1 Like

Good point! Thnx.

d fb

2 Likes

Wolf,

My mother’s knitting club is the same thing. No one pretends to knit.

1 Like

Good, but get a load of this one: Moon impact 1st person

5 Likes

Marvelously visually hysterical.

thnx

2 Likes

@FlyingCircus

People are so judgmental in these situations.