OT....it's Mothering Sunday

Or it would be for me if I were still living in England.

This is a bit of historical trivia but, for all intents and purposes, is celebrated now in the same way Mother’s Day is in the US. I’ve actually never thought much about the “mother church” thing, not being a god botherer myself, but gave a nod to the more modern historical significance of the day that young girls away “in service” (both my grannies before marriage) were allowed to go home to visit their mothers.

3 Likes

I had never heard of Mothering Sunday until I read Terry Pratchett’s book Nation. The setting is on a couple of the small islands of the Mothering Sunday Islands in the Great Pelagic Ocean. At first I thought that Mothering Sunday was a figment of Pratchett’s creative mind like the name of the ocean. But so much of his humor is taking some aspect of British life and sending it spinning in a new direction so I googled Mothering Sunday and found out that he’d done it again.

Mothering Sunday is reinforced in my home church as a day for the slight relaxation of Lenten abstinence (it is halfway between Ash Wednesday and Palm Sunday). We

sing hymns with harmonies,
light a rose colored instead of lenten dark purple candle,
the readings and sermons would also be less austere.

I believe the English middle and upper classes would also bring their children home from boarding schools so as to be able to “mother” them.

d fb

Most people in the USA have never heard of Mothering Sunday. But my wife and I watched a rather mediocre movie called Mothering Sunday a few years ago, and of course looked it up to see what it was.