OT My own indicator

I work in Real estate, and many years ago, I managed a building full of college students. They all were into the stock market. The year was 1998-1999. Soon after the market crashed.

After that I never heard a college student talk about stocks again. I developed my own indicator, which is when college students are all into stocks, we are near a top.

Recently, I talked to a friend with a son in college, and she said everyone in college was buying stocks, and crytpo. Sure enough, soon after the market crashed.

7 Likes

Dammit, Mark! Why didn’t you tell us sooner?

From now on, you hear that college students are talking stocks, you RUN to this board and report it.

Thank you.

SD
(who didn’t know what a regular person could buy stock in college.)

6 Likes

I developed my own indicator, which is when college students are all into stocks, we are near a top.

I live in a college town and agree that from my observations there is something too this. But I don’t
believe college students are unique, I observed the same phenonium in 2000, 2007 and the last couple
of years amongst almost everyone younger than 30. When you start hearing comments like “you’ve got
to get onboard now before it’s too late” from multiple people with no investing experience, watch out.
In 2000 four different young engineers got irate when I tried to tell them they couldn’t expect to have
30% + returns forever. In 2007 I was in a real-estate office they were trying to convinced me I
should put every single dollar I had into investment property, there was absolutely no risk. This last year
the big thing has been growth stocks & crypto with Robinhood from people barley scraping by.

Unfortunately, although one can recognize irrational sentiment and excess valuations it is difficult to
accurately define as mungo says the “dying bullish euphoria”. So far, I’ve been a little lucky but just
barley.

SD: (who didn’t know what a regular person could buy stock in college.)
We are talking about the students that don’t actually have enough to buy stocks but are so hyped they
believe they can invest their tuition money for a couple of months with no risk…

RAM

6 Likes