OT: Rainier cherries

Rainier cherries are one of the joys of summer. They were developed at Washington State University in 1952 and named after Mt. Rainier.

While eating some yesterday I was looking at the bag. Across the top it read ‘Rainier Cherries’ and underneath (so they can be sold in Canada) ‘Cerises Plus Pluvieuses’.

Cerises ==> cherries
Plus + Pluvieuses ==> more + rainy ==> rainier

DB2

16 Likes

I planted two cherry trees: a Bing and a Rainier, which are needed to cross-pollinate each other. The birds get all the Bings. They don’t seem to like the Rainiers (maybe because a yellow cherry seems unripe to a bird), so I get more of them.

Thanks for sharing the French translation of “rainier.” :slight_smile:

Wendy

1 Like

I planted two cherry trees: a Bing and a Rainier, which are needed to cross-pollinate each other. The birds get all the Bings. They don’t seem to like the Rainiers (maybe because a yellow cherry seems unripe to a bird), so I get more of them.

Consider yourself lucky. I read that commercial growers usually lose a third of their Rainier crop to birds.

DB2

Husband and I laughed and laughed.

Everyone in my family (it has always loomed over my northern ancestors) loves and often climbs that glorious mountain, often by complex North face glacial routes. Since the 70’s we have stopped calling it “Mt Rainier” and reverted to using its ancient name of Tahoma or Tacoma.

Tahoma Cherries is cheerful and solves the frenchifying problem.

david fb

Cerises ==> cherries
Plus + Pluvieuses ==> more + rainy ==> rainier

Marketing genius strikes again, but that’s no where as bad as the Chevy Nova being marketed under that name in Spanish speaking countries. No Va means not going in Spanish. Not what you want in a car.

IP,
appreciating the giggle

Marketing genius strikes again, but that’s no where as bad as the Chevy Nova being marketed under that name in Spanish speaking countries. No Va means not going in Spanish. Not what you want in a car.

True, but…

“Nova” in Spanish means exactly the same thing that it means in English.