OT rant: 99.6% isn't good enough?

Have you noticed you can’t buy Windows 11 retail? It’s only available preinstalled on a new PC, or downloaded from Windows Update.

Upgrade qualification hardware requirements are very strict. My Dell has all the features required except it has a 7th Gen, Intel i5 processor. The oldest i5 that Mr Softie supports is 8th Gen.

Here’s their rationale:

Reliability: Devices that do not meet the minimum system requirements had 52% more kernel mode crashes. Devices that do meet the minimum system requirements had a 99.8% crash free experience.

Security: Windows 11 raises the baseline of Windows security by improving the security default configuration to combat increasing cyber-attacks. These requirements were informed based on trillions of signals from Microsoft’s threat intelligence as well as input from leading security experts like the NSA, UK National Cyber Security Center and Canadian Centre for Cyber Security. Additional details on the background and value of Windows 11 baseline are below.

Compatibility: People continue to increasingly use their PCs for video conferencing, productivity and gaming. To ensure all Windows 11 devices can run a core set of applications to meet those needs, we set the minimum system requirements to align with some of the most commonly used apps.

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/08/27/update-…

Looking at their reliability rational, having 52% more crashes than 99.8% crash-free, according to my math, means being 99.6% crash free. I’m OK with that.

Win 10 support ends in October, 2025. I ran Vista through the end of support. Windows update quit working several months before the official end of support date.

Steve

7 Likes

I’m running Windows 7.

I’m happy.

The future isn’t what they say it is!

JimA

5 Likes

Ars Tecnhica does their usually thorough job of reviewing turning your old laptop into a Chromebook

Chrome OS Flex is an ideal off-ramp for millions of PCs that can’t run Windows 11

Not a perfect Windows replacement—but an intriguing option for old hardware

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/02/chromeos-flex-is-an-…

1 Like

I’m doing fine with Linux. The two most important parts of Office 2007, Word and Excel, run just fine (installed via PlayOnLinux) and even VBA macros work properly - which is more than I can say of the macros in OpenOffice’s StarBasic.

1 Like

Have you noticed you can’t buy Windows 11 retail? It’s only available preinstalled on a new PC, or downloaded from Windows Update.

I am one of those who qualifies for the “upgrade” to Windows 11. Our son with the degree in computer science, working in cyber security as a penetration tester told me not to. I did not ask him why. He is the expert in computers in our family.

Be happy they are not constantly harassing you to do the upgrade. Every time I tell them I am not interested, they simply say OK, we’ll check in later, or something along those lines.

IP

I’m running Windows 7.

I’m happy.

I found a computer with Win 7 on it in the trash at the curb last summer. Want to buy it? ;^)

Steve

“Looking at their reliability rational, having 52% more crashes than 99.8% crash-free, according to my math, means being 99.6% crash free. I’m OK with that.”

Buy stock in Microsoft, that way you’ll benefit from the enforced planned obsolescence.

But yeah, it’s over the top how they want to force the hand of users to upgrade.

Buy stock in Microsoft, that way you’ll benefit from the enforced planned obsolescence.

But yeah, it’s over the top how they want to force the hand of users to upgrade.

Apple is the same way with their iPhones.

PSU

"I’m running Windows 7.

I’m happy.

I found a computer with Win 7 on it in the trash at the curb last summer. Want to buy it? ;^)

Steve"

As I said - “I’m happy”; so I’m good - pass it on to someone who needs a computer.

thanks for the offer,

JimA

As I said - “I’m happy”; so I’m good - pass it on to someone who needs a computer.

That was my thought. Project for today was dig out that HP computer, an old HP keyboard and mouse that have PS2 connectors and an HP VGA monitor. Offer it to friends on FB for a pittance, as I actually did pay for the k/b, mouse and monitor, some years ago. If no nibbles, then put the entire bundle on eBay. Surprisingly, Win 7 machines still sell there.

Steve

Yes, I hold MSFT, just as I used to buy oils to ride the every spring gas price hysteria.

Especially as they were claiming that Win 10 would be the last ever completely new OS.

Steve

Looking at their reliability rational, having 52% more crashes than 99.8% crash-free, according to my math, means being 99.6% crash free. I’m OK with that.

Wait!
Seems to me that ~50% more crashes than 0.2% is 0.3%. So you’d be closer to 99.7%.

But then what does 99.8% crash free experience really mean?
99.8% of days you don’t crash? (about 1 crash per year)
99.8% of programs you run don’t crash? (1000 program launches per day = 2 crashes per day)
99.8% of computer clock cycles you don’t crash? (at ~2B cyc/sec you’d crash millions of times per second)

Mike

1 Like

" Surprisingly, Win 7 machines still sell there.

Steve"

Not surprised; it was a solid product and you are not forced in to the nanny state of MSFT where they update your computer when they want to.(and take liberties with your personal space )

JimA

1 Like

Not surprised; it was a solid product and you are not forced in to the nanny state of MSFT where they update your computer when they want to.(and take liberties with your personal space )

I’m going to test that theory. Last summer I found a tiny, old, HP, in the trash pile at the curb. Decoding the beep code when it powered on told me it had a memory error. Saw one of the memory sticks was crooked in the socket, so corrected that, and it fired right up. Bundled it with highly sought after PS2 HP keyboard and mouse, and a VGA HP monitor. I’ll see if I can get $30 for the lot.

Steve