OT: Robot breaks boy’s finger

Last week, according to Russian media outlets, a chess-playing robot, apparently unsettled by the quick responses of a seven-year-old boy, unceremoniously grabbed and broke his finger during a match at the Moscow Open.

Smagin [VP of Russian Chess Federation] told RIA Novosti the incident was “a coincidence” and the robot was “absolutely safe”. [Compared to the usual Russian tactic of having the kid’s family all commit “suicide”, sure, it was absolutely safe].

So much for Isaac Asimov’s first law of robotics.

Anyway, has anyone ever play chess with a 7 year old? The little snot probably deserved it.

:slight_smile:

AW

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jul/24/chess-robot-gr…

13 Likes

OT: Robot breaks boy’s finger

Wrong title!

OT: Russian breaks boy’s finger!

The Captain

2 Likes

I’d REC this a HUNDRED times if I could!

sunray
permanent Asimov phan
phormer Cold War Warrior
recreational chess player in previous century

apparently unsettled by the quick responses of a seven-year-old boy, unceremoniously grabbed and broke his finger during a match

Ahhhh wait, a computer was upset because a human (child) was processing a chess move too quickly?

The little snot probably deserved it

A seven year old out thinking the time in which a computer can process a chess move? And a child should never deserve a violent response for an imagined impropriety.

3 Likes

A seven year old out thinking the time in which a computer can process a chess move? And a child should never deserve a violent response for an imagined impropriety.

Actually, a child should never deserve a violent response for an imagined or real impropriety.

That’s why I added the text thingy :slight_smile: to indicate it was a joke.

AW

2 Likes