OT: TMF satisfaction poll

In the investment club- Saul’s, why can’t I post new or reply to messages?
The reply and new topic button are absent or shaded?
what is this?

I have decided they are not idiots. They are arrogant. They act like their way is the right way. “Bypassing other posts” is not a “good reading pattern”? Fie on’t! ah, fie! (Yes, that’s Shakespeare. Hamlet I believe. We have roots here, and roots that need to be respected!)

Reading all posts is a foolish waste of time. Bypassing useless drivel is smart. Using well-liked posts as an entre into interesting and thoughtful threads is perfectly fine reading pattern. It exposes you to posts that don’t necessarily agree with your preconceived ideas. If a well-liked post is interesting, you can easily read the discussion around that post. If it’s hyperbolic blathering, you can move on to some other topic without wasting time on the entire thread.

–Peter

7 Likes

In the shift of platforms, Saul asked for and got a segregation such that there is a list of authorized posters and no one else can post. This was to cut down on the garbage posts. There is a link, which I haven’t looked for yet, where you can ask to be added to the posters. I presume that it is normally honored unless you are on a bad boy list.

2 Likes

Peter,

I actually waste less time in this format because I catch up on the threads I want to and read only a few of the latest posts instead of scurrying down to the bottom. The lack of importance in the like button improves this place.

2 Likes

Can someone tell me if there is an ‘ignore’ function for individual posters?

Looking for a way to cut through the chaff a bit.

It exists but it’s much harder to find. Apparently the “arrogant” “idiots” who designed this platform think you should read every post by every single person with a keyboard.

1. Find your way to your profile page. (Click on your own icon on one of your posts, among other paths.)

2. Click on “users”

3. You have to add them by typing their name, not simply “ignore poster” as before. So click on the + sign to “mute”, add their name, and be sure to save changes. (On some screens, depending, the “save changes” button may be hidden, you have to scroll, or re-orient your tablet/phone, or both.)

That should do it. I only have one poster in there, but it has cut the noise by 30% at least. Good to do.

7 Likes

In our new post Liz Truss world, it looks to me like a lot of people are reading or opening a comment, but very few interact with it. This is a screen shot of the 8 topics TMF has as unread in METaR as of 5 minutes ago.

I have no idea how this compares to the old rate of interactions. That is what I am calling likes or replies. I am surprised that it is so low. Does anyone know if the old 30 like/day rule is still in effect?

1 Like

Default settings are 50-75 per day. (75 when you reach “Trust Level 2”.)

1 Like

Thanks, Goofy!

Add me to the list of those who miss the ability to scan a board for those new posts highly recommended or by posters I knew and appreciated.

Lots of times I’d end up reading all the posts on a given board, but on a higher traffic board like METAR, that can burn a lot of time that I don’t feel is productively spent.

3 Likes

Maybe this can ease the pain a bit? Trying to figure out a better layout and something what requires less work, but have now updated it with some date filters for METAR.

1 Like

Raylight has found a pretty close replacement for “Best of” that does get to the individual post level. He explains how to do it here:

Be sure to read to the end of the thread, as there are some tweaks and changes along the way.

Or, if you just want a fish instead of learning how to fish, here’s a link for the most liked posts on this board in the last 24 hours random short-ish period of time from 1 to 2 days:

Best of METAR last day

Bookmark it in your web browser and you can get to it any time you like.

–Peter

Edit: Ray and I are still finding bugs in our thinking. The above link is not working exactly like we thought it did. We are aware of the problem and are working on it. If you have comments or suggestions, please post them on the thread in the New Site Help and Feedback topic also linked above so as to keep things together and not go way OT here on METAR.

2 Likes

Thanks for explaining, Peter!

By the way, one is the new zero. Changed my mind again. :wink:

1 Like

I’m still liking zero. With zero, all of the results are measured in hours or minutes old. With one, ages can be 1 and sometimes 2 days old.

–Peter

1 Like

Muchos gracias, Peter and Ray.

Maybe the old Fool boards have some life in them yet. :wink:

1 Like

I appreciate what you have attempted to do. But it is a kludge at best that does not replace what was taken away.

5 Likes

Group thinking makes for completely unworthy boring critics.

Less to nothing to do with me, the bore is a critic of everything in his path. Pity those who have to be in the same room with him.

1 Like