OT: TWTR again (sorry)

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022/07/twitters-lawsuit-aga…

First, this is a piece in NY Magazine, not the gold standard for financial journalism. But they’ve raked through Twitter’s filing in Delaware chancery court, which unfortunately I don’t have time to read this morning.

I admit to having a tiny speculative position in Twitter, purely for amusement value. But I’m taking the legal dispute between Twitter and Musk rather more seriously, as a kind of barometer: how enforceable are contracts in the U.S. judicial system, these days? Having agreed to a very seller-friendly agreement, foregoing due diligence and accepting specific performance provisions, can you then just rip up the contract, violate the NDA you’ve signed, and walk away without consequences? Can you opt to litigate on social media, with or without poo emojis, instead of in the jurisdiction agreed?

If so, it’s a brave new world for contract law.

1 Like

as a kind of barometer: how enforceable are contracts in the U.S. judicial system, these days?

On that specific question, the Delaware Court of Chancery is extremely well respected worldwide for being sane and consistent.
I’ve watched video of some cases, and I too have been very impressed. They really understand things, and they don’t fall for it when people try to blow smoke.
So, whatever the merits of the situation between Twitter and Mr Musk, I expect they will make a very rational and likely appropriate call on each issue, whatever that may be.
There can be surprises, but they’ll likely be well reasoned surprises.

That’s the contract side.
It’s the enforcement of regulations and laws that seems a bit banana republic.

Jim

18 Likes

Elon wants this to go to court. That is why he posted CHUCKMATE/Checkmate.

It is called discovery and we are about to learn that TWTR is fraudulent platform. 1/2 accounts fake bots?

Advertisers and investors defrauded?

1 Like

It is called discovery and we are about to learn that TWTR is fraudulent platform. 1/2 accounts fake bots?

Could be. Who knows?
The interesting thing is that that’s probably irrelevant to the law suits, as he waived due diligence,
and also agreed to a specific performance clause saying they could force him to complete even if he didn’t want to.
(provided certain conditions were met, which they seem to have been AFAIK, notably Mr Musk arranging financing).
If you buy a car as is, you don’t get a guarantee. (even stronger than that here, as in M&A there is no principal of merchantability)

Unfortunately I don’t expect any big entertainment from the law suit, as I expect them to posture then cut a cash deal splitting the difference somewhere.
That would leave the question of whether it’s a deal to buy the company for less (IMO less likely), or a cash deal for a bigger breakup fee from Mr Musk (IMO more likely).
I think the latter is more likely because my guess is that neither party actually wants the deal to go through.

Ignoring the drama, and ignoring the market price gyrations, it’s interesting to ponder whether the company is truly worth less as a result of all this.
Will their earnings in the next decade be lower than they would otherwise have been?
And if so, is anyone responsible for that? True or not, I expect some lawyers to get rich asserting it.

Jim

8 Likes

The interesting thing is that that’s probably irrelevant to the law suits, as he waived due diligence,

Suppose Twitter committed a prior fraud that could affect Elon’s decision, such as claiming fake bots to be only 5% while it’s much higher, would that be a legitimate cause for withdraw?

Suppose Twitter committed a prior fraud that could affect Elon’s decision, such as claiming fake
bots to be only 5% while it’s much higher, would that be a legitimate cause for withdraw?

Good question. One can speculate!
If there is true fraud, that’s a criminal issue for the prosecutors, so leave that aside for the moment.

Would it matter for enforcing a contract? Let the speculating begin.

Twitter does have a lot of verbiage in their financial reports that makes it clear that the reported bot numbers are (I paraphrase) just estimates which they can’t guarantee.
The purchaser of a company is presumed to have read these financial reports.
Highlighting mine:

"The numbers of mDAU presented in this Annual Report on Form 10-K are based on internal company data.
While these numbers are based on what we believe to be reasonable estimates for the applicable
period of measurement, there are inherent challenges in measuring usage and engagement across our
large number of total accounts around the world. Furthermore, our metrics may be impacted by our
information quality efforts, which are our overall efforts to reduce malicious activity on the
service, inclusive of spam, malicious automation, and fake accounts. For example, there are a number
of false or spam accounts in existence on our platform. We have performed an internal review of a
sample of accounts and estimate that the average of false or spam accounts during the fourth quarter
of 2021 represented fewer than 5% of our mDAU during the quarter. The false or spam accounts for a
period represents the average of false or spam accounts in the samples during each monthly analysis
period during the quarter. In making this determination, we applied significant judgment, so
our estimation of false or spam accounts may not accurately represent the actual number of such
accounts, and the actual number of false or spam accounts could be higher than we have estimated.
We are continually seeking to improve our ability to estimate the total number of spam accounts and
eliminate them from the calculation of our mDAU, and have made improvements in our spam detection
capabilities that have resulted in the suspension of a large number of spam, malicious automation,
and fake accounts. We intend to continue to make such improvements. After we determine an account
is spam, malicious automation, or fake, we stop counting it in our mDAU, or other related metrics."

I would expect it to be pretty hard to nail a fraud case in light of that disclaimer.
The mere fact of the sampling process being of poor quality or missing a whole lot of fakes would seem not to be enough.
I imagine it would also take the executives (a) knowingly and (b) materially falsifying the results of their internal sampling.
If juniors reported to the bosses that 25% were fake and the bosses then publicly reported that 5% were fake, that would be a gun giving off some smoke.

So, seeking to cancel the deal would (I continue to speculate) involve multiple steps–

• Demonstrating that there are more bots than reported
  • Demonstrating that this has a truly material effect on the value of the company
  • Demonstrating that the bosses knew this and publicly stated otherwise
  • Demonstrating that the purchaser relied on these specific public statements in deciding to enter the agreement.

The last one doesn’t sound too tough, but the first three could be hard.
For example, the mere fact that (say) 1/4 of accounts were fake does not change what the company’s income has been.
You would have to demonstrate that the “botness” of the business, once known, would also cause advertisers to pay less.
Not that unreasonable an assumption, but it’s one more step in a pretty long road.

Personally I don’t see any way the whole chain could succeed, but we’ll see.

Jim

3 Likes

Was certainly aware of bots - Seems that one of the reasons for purchasing Twitter was to get rid of the bots.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1517215066550116354
If our twitter bid succeeds, we will defeat the spam bots or die trying!

and

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/4/25/elon-musk-twitter-s…
“I also want to make Twitter better than ever by enhancing the product with new features, making the algorithms open source to increase trust, defeating the spam bots, and authenticating all humans."

To complain about too many bots now seems disingenuous.

1 Like

To complain about too many bots now seems disingenuous.

I dunno. It’s consistent: a concern then, a concern now. Fair enough.

But I do think it’s mainly misdirection.
When someone says what they really want is to be friends, that’s not generally what is really being said.

I can see Twitter shareholders being a bit miffed, Mr Musk having signed that, though he could use Twitter to speak about the deal,
he may so Tweet only “so long as such Tweets do not disparage the Company or any of its Representatives.”
The audience has certainly taken it as disparagement. I wonder if one has to demonstrate that there was intent to disparage?

He’s safe from all the speculative kerfuffle about possible criminal and regulatory violations, though.
If I’m not mistaken, there was a recent amendment to the US constitution that anyone
with more than 80 million followers on Twitter can not ever be charged with anything : )
I think it passed in India, too, come to think of it.

Jim

12 Likes

I wish it was the NY court in charge that convicted and incarcerated that senior citizen “menace” Martha Stewart in 2004- all business and then some. Hope justice is served in this incredibly high profile case as it often is not.

1 Like

That would leave the question of whether it’s a deal to buy the company for less (IMO less likely), or a cash deal for a bigger breakup fee from Mr Musk (IMO more likely).
I think the latter is more likely because my guess is that neither party actually wants the deal to go through.

So let’s pretend there’s a settlement rather than a completion of the deal. Elon wants it to be $zero, while Twitter presumably wants it to be more than the $1B fee specified in the original deal. Rough calculation says Musk saves $17B by not having to go through with it but, of course, he doesn’t end up with the new toy either.

What does anyone think a “reasonable” (ho ho, I make a joke) settlement would be, and if Twitter was to receive oh, say a few billion, what effect might that have on the share price?

I understand this is idle speculation, but like a poster upthread I have also opened a small position for entertainment purposes, having seen both Top Gun and Elvis already.

2 Likes

What does anyone think a “reasonable” (ho ho, I make a joke) settlement would be, and if Twitter
was to receive oh, say a few billion, what effect might that have on the share price?

I think it would be viewed as a mere modified breakup fee, rather than any kind of penalty, just or not.
So, I’m thinking much closer to the original level.
Put me down for $2-3bn total. (original breakup fee plus $1-2bn)
How much to buy into the pool? $100m?

Though I’m sure management are entirely disinterested trustees acting only and always in the very best interests of shareholders, they also like their positions.
Which I presume would not continue if the deal goes through.
So pick the lowest settlement number that gets them neither sued nor fired: the agency problem sweet spot.

Show Charlie the incentive, and he’ll show us the outcome.

Jim

14 Likes

He’s safe from all the speculative kerfuffle about possible criminal and regulatory violations, though.
If I’m not mistaken, there was a recent amendment to the US constitution that anyone
with more than 80 million followers on Twitter can not ever be charged with anything : )
I think it passed in India, too, come to think of it.

- Jim

:+1::sunglasses:

You are correct in your memory about the Constitution. That’s Amendment 420.

Also, there’s that “Amendment to Amendment 420” which states that “John Galt sociopaths in Late Stage Capitalism may line extend their names with impunity by sending tiny sperm tadpoles up Nibbly Bits Creek of Buffaloed Gals. Said Superior Beings may propagate as much as they want - just as long as they award each lady who agrees to be a receptor - one pony for each baked child blessed with Galt inner knowledge.”

Your grasp of Constitutional Law is second to none, Jim. Keep up the great work here.

“Ye shall know them by the flapping of their gull wing doors and the logo tattoos!”

- Book of the Apocalypse

4 Likes

I think Twitter has a very strong case and will/would prevail in court, and would then have to pay the full $54.20 price. The Twitter board might agree to knock $4.20 of the price, or to keep the company in return for a huge fee (say, $24.20/share).

The major risk to this scenario, to punters like me who think the bet makes sense at the current price ($37.43, very close to my average purchase price) is the one Jim alludes to: the board betrays shareholders’ interests to keep their interesting jobs, and accepts a much smaller breakup fee than what the court would award them.

So I would say:
$54.20 (court awards for Twitter, board refuses to compromise): 10%
$50 (compromise): 60%
$40 (board sellout): 20%
$30 (court agrees with Musk, share price collapses):10%

Weighted average (expectation) of these: $44.92
Upside from $37.43: 20%

Am I too pessimistic about the board wimping out?

dtb

4 Likes

Am I too pessimistic about the board wimping out?

You and me both, possibly.

One possible inspiration is the case of Huntsman Corp v Apollo Global during the credit crunch.
That was a $10.6bn (?) acquisition that the acquirer tried to get out of because of the arrival of the crunch before closing.
The Delaware courts said no dice, and the ultimate settlement was about $2.7bn, paid by both Apollo and their banks to Huntsman.
The merger was cancelled.

That’s now only a bedtime story from the distant past.
Different time, different parties, different facts, different blame allocation.
But hey, if you had to guess with no other data, that penalty was a little over 25% of the total deal value.
(corresponding to a much higher percentage of the price premium offered, which was about 47% of the undisturbed price)

Another source says the buyout value was only $6.5bn, implying an even higher percentage.
Seems plausible, I calculated it at $6.2bn, ($28 times ~221m shares).
That was made up of $4.2bn of undisturbed market cap at around $19 a share and $2bn of price premium in the offer.
Suggesting the ultimate $2.7bn penalty was more than the entire price premium.

Jim

6 Likes

But hey, if you had to guess with no other data, that penalty was a little over 25% of the total deal value.
(corresponding to a much higher percentage of the price premium offered, which was about 47% of the undisturbed price)

In the present Twitter case, it’s a bit hard to know what the undisturbed price is. On April 1, TWTR was at about $39, after Musk had bought 9% of the shares since January. (He apparently crossed the 5% reporting threshold on March 14, but didn’t report that until April 4th, and reported using a 13G filing, indicating a passive interest with no attempt to influence the business…) The share price was between about $39 in January, as low as about $32 in February and March, and back to about $39 on April 1st, perhaps influenced by Musk’s purchases.

But more importantly, the whole tech sector is down steeply since April 4th, so the undisturbed price of Twitter might well be down from about $39 to $20, if it had followed other social media shares like META (down 30%) or SNAP (down 65%) rather than benefitting from the prospect of a takeover at a premium.

Buying the 691m shares he doesn’t already own (assuming he has bought no more since the takeover offer) would cost $37.5b at $54.20, but if they would only trade at $20 a share now, that would mean he is overpaying by $23.6b. If a judge said he had to fully compensate Twitter shareholders or else go ahead with the purchase at $54.20, that would mean paying them that full $23.6b, but that assumes that we know that the price would be $20, which we could only know if the judge ruled entirely in Musk’s favour and the share price could fall to wherever it belongs, after whatever correction the market thinks is appropriate for (i) the general fall of the sector, (ii) the specific revelations about Twitter problems like spambots, and (iii) whatever damage the takeover effort itself may have done to the company.

I don’t know how the judge would be able to assess that. I guess if the ruling goes in Twitter’s favour, Musk would either have to just buy Twitter, or negotiate some deal with the board, which would have pretty powerful leverage.

dt

2 Likes