OT: What does a gray bar mean?

Can someone explain what the gray bar over my avatar mean?
Thanks.

2 Likes

Might try the “New Site Hep and Feed…” Category…

3 Likes

I just posted it there. I will let you know what I find out.

4 Likes

IDK, but it looks negative to me.

:no_entry_sign:
ralph

3 Likes

The gray bar was there earlier this morning, but the gray bar is gone. I don’t know why. :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

HHHMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Enquiring minds still want to know.

d fb

1 Like

I spoke too soon. It’s back.

Given no one else seemed to confirm they saw it against your profile icon, it appears to involve something that was user-facing only (rather than community-facing). A minus-sign like that in some contexts is the hint that a pop-up menu is accessible by clicking on it or right-clicking on it. It might have be some weird feature in Discuss or whatever retail commenting engine The Fool now uses that temporarily saw data in your profile or post data that triggered displaying it.

Since you say it is now back, try clicking or right-clicking on it to see if any menus pop up.

I wouldn’t worry too much. I don’t think it was a sign you’ve been marked for some future, unspecified, random injustice. You’re too well respected in these parts.

WTH

3 Likes

Thank you for saying that.

Right-click just brings up the usual browser options that you get if you right click anywhere on a browser window. At this point I’m just curious about it since it doesn’t seem to do anything.

Thinking about this 4.7 seconds longer, that avatar icon is the upper right status icon normally used to tell you someone liked a post or replied to something or that you reached some new level of game rewards for post activity. Those are normally shown with a baby blue background. Maybe the gray minus sign represents a notification from the system. Maybe you had a comment on a thread that was deleted and that’s a courtesy note from the system indicating your post was deleted along with everything else in the thread. That’s diffferent than the admin deleting one of YOUR posts “for cause.”

Try clicking on your avatar icon, then clicking on the next to last icon on the right towars the bottom that says “Other Notifications” and see if something is listed there.

WTH

1 Like

I used a flag post to ask…

We need to know what his gray bar means? TIA

One mystery is solved and another opens up.

4 Likes

Gray bar on mine appeared first time this evening. No right click does not help. No clues on meaning.

Meanwhile, Nvidia hit 700 today, the S&P almost got to 5000, and thanks to Nvidia, I got a green cap on CAPs.

3 Likes

Go to this link.
https://discussion.fool.com/my/preferences/notifications

If “Enable custom notification schedule” is checked, uncheck it.

Something is causing this to be turned on. The gray bar is an indicator that you are not receiving notifications, @pauleckler.

I do receive emails when people respond. I think those are notifications. Today gray bar is gone. Maybe there was a temporary problem or software adjustment.

1 Like

It means a nice place for old gay guys like me to have a beer…

d fb

7 Likes