Pilot pulled from crashed aircraft

… just before commuter train further destroys crashed plane.

Video:
https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/small-single-engine…

intercst

1 Like

… just before commuter train further destroys crashed plane.

Reminds me of the student pilot in a Sea King who landed so hard his main rotor blade clipped the tail and damaged the tail rotor drive shaft … when explaining to the squadron commander he finished with “… and then I lost control!” }};-@

Anymouse

intercst
just before commuter train further destroys crashed plane

I am definitely cornfuzed…

Plane crashes, PD and FD rush to the site. (At LEAST 60 seconds response time??? 120 seconds???)

AFTER THE PILOT IS RESCUED, A TRAIN RUNS INTO THE WRECK??

So they’re using Tesla’s auto pilot software on commuter trains now???

Thank God no one was killed; the scene is right out of a Mack Sennett/Keystone Kops comedy.

1 Like

I am definitely cornfuzed…

Plane crashes, PD and FD rush to the site. (At LEAST 60 seconds response time??? 120 seconds???)

AFTER THE PILOT IS RESCUED, A TRAIN RUNS INTO THE WRECK??

That’s a good question. I wonder how long it would take to notify the rail line and get them to stop traffic on that route? I bet there are several layers of buraucracy you’d have to go through.

If there’s a danger of a natural gas explosion, how long does it takes to get the gas company to shut off the line?

intercst

1 Like

So they’re using Tesla’s auto pilot software on commuter trains now???

I doubt that any trains have any forward looking sensors that can stop a train in time to prevent a crash given the distance a camera or radar can see down the track.

Mike

The first result in a google search on stopping distance"

https://www.minnesotasafetycouncil.org/ol/stop.cfm

How Long Does It Take a Train to Stop?

Trains can’t stop quickly or swerve. The average freight train is about 1 to 1¼ miles in length (90 to 120 rail cars). When it’s moving at 55 miles an hour, it can take a mile or more to stop after the locomotive engineer fully applies the emergency brake. An 8-car passenger train moving at 80 miles an hour needs about a mile to stop. How does this compare to other vehicles?

According to the National Safety Council:
A lightweight passenger car traveling at 55 miles an hour can stop in about 200 feet in an emergency—under perfect conditions—that is, if tires and brakes are in good condition and the road is dry.
A commercial van or bus will need about 230 feet to stop.
A commercial truck/trailer can stop in about 300 feet—that’s the length of a football field.
A light rail train requires about 600 feet to stop—the length of two football fields.
Compared to this, the average freight train we mentioned above traveling at 55 miles an hour may take the length of about 18 football fields to stop.
Trains can’t swerve—they can only follow the track. The only thing the engineer can do is apply the emergency brake.

1 Like

Local TV news station has updated story with additional video. Police did contact rail operator to stop traffic, but it takes time to notify individual trains.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/plane-train-tracks-…

intercst

How Long Does It Take a Train to Stop?

COLREGs (The International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea) gives sailboats the right of way over powered boats. That article had to be modified because supertankers are not maneuverable enough to avoid collisions. Sailboats still have the right of way – just don’t tangle with supertankers. The right of way is also abridged in narrow passages like rivers and canals.

The Captain
if a tankers runs you over, they won’t even notice

3 Likes

Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

Sailboats still have the right of way – just don’t tangle with supertankers. The right of way is also abridged in narrow passages like rivers and canals.

The Captain
if a tankers runs you over, they won’t even notice

Actually if you insist on getting in their way … they may make a special effort to run you over! }};-D

Anymouse <rescued the crew of a sinking yacht (off the coast near Cadiz) and helped put out the fires and salvage a burning chemical tanker (north of the Azores) within a matter of weeks>

1 Like

I was a frequent and popular choice to crew on small racing sailboats not because I was all that great a seaman, but because, as one skipper told me (approxiamately and lamguage cleaned up)

First and foremost, you ALWAYS @%! do exactly what I @?! ask with no @$! questions or hesitation.

Second, you know knots and names of everything I might ever tell you to pull or push or shut or open, including your @?! mouth.

Third, most irreplaceably, you reliably get slightly seasick for the first 24 hours, making you my best choice for the conn during the late night passage up the Channel Islands with those @$¿ fog banks and all those @$? tankers because you never dose off nor are disabled, and remain as terrified of @?! getting run over as I am…

I was real damn scared a couple of times and once (tanker emerging from fog bank dead ahead) came about so violently I woke up everybody. Skipper blew me a kiss before shouting what course to take to recover quickly after tanker went by, and then quickly went below again. I was so excited I puked.

David fb

2 Likes