Policy Question

I recently posted a message on inflation.

I pointed out 3 things the current party in charge was currently pursuing that is contributing to inflation.

The message was taken down by yahoo.

Apparently it was against policy.

Is anyone aware of what policy I may have breached?

Or is it just you can’t post anything that has the appearance of being negative against the current party in charge.

At TMF the answer is politics. You can discuss what Congress should do but theres a fine line on what becomes political. You probably cannot name names or point fingers.

You can discuss the Federal Reserve Board. Not sure about the Supreme Court. President is probably a no.

1 Like

Post it on Macro Economic Trends and Risks. See how long it lasts there.

Or is it just you can’t post anything that has the appearance of being negative against the current party in charge.

I don’t know, but I suspect, that the issue is simply trying to ascribe the actions to partisan motivations, which reads (rightly or not) as a politically motivated attack.
Combined with the very firm consensus we have of keeping away from political posts.

Is inflation going up? Sure.
Is it largely as result of the actions of various governments in the last couple of years? Sure.
The biggest three contributors at the moment seem to be, in order: a fossil fuel supply crunch,
a grain supply crunch triggering inflation, and in most countries a one time jump in the money supply.
Those things are hitting governments around the world of every conceivable political stripe.

FWIW, for the US dollar the inflationary impulse from the expansion of the money supply seems to have largely ended.
One year rate of change of divisia M4 hit 20.55% in June 2020, long before any inflation showed up in headline figures.
The latest available year on year rate of increase of that metric is now down to 3.37%. Next release is July 5.
So, I suspect the Fed would actually have been right and the inflation spike would have been transient–except for the other two 2022 factors which hit like a steamroller.
In combination it may have reached a tipping point into widespread wage and price inflation that lasts a while.

My maid just asked for a raise today.

Jim

22 Likes

Anything that smells political on either side of the aisle is being censored.

Anything that smells political on either side of the aisle is being censored.

Well, you could break that down into two steps:

Anything that smells political on either side of the aisle smells political in the general sense.
Anything overly political is ditched for being inappropriate to the forum.
That’s the thing about smells: One passes wind in the bathroom, not the dining room.

Besides, it’s good to remind folks that it’s the world wide web.
There are lots of aisles in the world. Not everything revolves around the navels in Washington.

Jim

10 Likes

“My maid just asked for a raise today.”

I increased the pay for mine significantly without her asking. Good people are hard to find and keep!

I also told her to raise her prices to ALL her clients.

She loves me :wink:

4 Likes

Is anyone aware of what policy I may have breached?

Yeah. Don’t talk about politics. Don’t bring politics into the discussion.

Follow the lead of Fisher Investments in this regard:
MarketMinder's View: Please note, MarketMinder is nonpartisan and favors no politician, political party or particular policy over another. Our analysis focuses on politics’ economic, market and personal finance impact only.

3 Likes

My maid just asked for a raise today.

Our house cleaner lady came yesterday and told my wife that her price was going up $20 on July 1. And “I hope he [that is: me] doesn’t fire me.”
No “ask” … “tell”.

Figuring in my head, the cost of her gas round-trip to our house has gone up $12 since the beginning of the year. Thank God we are not in California.

4 Likes

the cost of her gas round-trip to our house has gone up $12 since the beginning of the year.
Thank God we are not in California.

It’s kind of funny for non-Americans to watch the panic over gas at $5 a US gallon. Gasp!
Heavens, I can’t remember the last time it was that cheap here.
The basic stuff is about (US) $8.11/gallon at the moment.
Other than petro-states or a few places with subsidies, nobody has it as easy as the gringos.

Jim

27 Likes

Yes. We are so spoiled.

It’s kind of funny for non-Americans to watch the panic over gas at $5 a US gallon. Gasp!
Heavens, I can’t remember the last time it was that cheap here.
The basic stuff is about (US) $8.11/gallon at the moment.
Other than petro-states or a few places with subsidies, nobody has it as easy as the gringos.

It’s not panic. It’s somewhat fury. Before the latest Federal election gas was under $2/gal. In fact, I recall a very short time that it was near $1. I got a fill-up at $0.95/gal and thought maybe I had entered a timewarp back to the 1980’s. We were not only self-sufficent in oil/gas, but we actually EXPORTED oil & gas.

The US is a much bigger place than most other countries. We have to drive a lot to get anywhere. Many Europeans don’t grasp the scale of the US.
At Moto, we occasionally had a team from Denmark/England/Germany here for meetings in Chicago. Best one I recall was when we asked one team what they were planning to do for the upcoming weekend. They said that they were going to drive to New York to see the sights, and then drive back to Chicago in time for the Monday meetings. We had to inform them that they would spend the entire weekend driving to NY and would get there about Monday morning.

Another team (Danish, I think) didn’t even grasp the size of the state of Illinois. We told them that if they headed south and drove all day, they’d still be in Illinois. If in their hometown they drove south all day, they’d be 5 countries away.

15 Likes

I’m in California and I raised my cleaning gal $50. She’s now $250 for half a day as she drives an hour to my place. My full-time maintenance guy up 25% this year.
Labor used to be $20 hour now it’s gone to $240 a day.

I’m still ecstatic that I’m on my side of the deal and not on their side of the deal.

6 Likes

Stats for price of gasoline per gallon in U.S. over time
https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=pet&…

3 Likes

It’s not panic. It’s somewhat fury. Before the latest Federal election gas was under $2/gal. In fact, I recall a very short time that it was near $1.

14 years ago it hit $4/gal. ($5.4 inflation adjusted).

When it got below $2 everyone should have known it wasn’t going to last.

13 Likes

Ravvt: Before the latest Federal election gas was under $2/gal. In fact, I recall a very short time that it was near $1.

The national average retail gasoline price in November 2016 was $2.18/gal. Oil was $46/barrel. The price of gasoline bottomed at $1.84/gal in April of 2020 (oil was $16.6/barrel) when 20.5 million Americans lost their jobs and didn’t need to drive to work; millions more were working remotely.

Ravvt: We were not only self-sufficent [sic] in oil/gas, but we actually EXPORTED oil & gas.

The U.S. exported the most oil and petroleum products in history in April of 2022.

Exports of U.S. crude and petroleum products surged to a weekly record of 10.6 million barrels a day during the week ending April 15, according to data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration. The country’s exports also outweighed its imports by the most ever in government data going back to 1990.

Ravvt: Another team (Danish, I think) didn’t even grasp the size of the state of Illinois. We told them that if they headed south and drove all day, they’d still be in Illinois.

Nit-picking: Driving from Chicago to Nashville takes about 7 1/2 hours. Of course, that’s driving the speed limit but not stopping for meals.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-20/u-s-oil-e…

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=pet&…

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Chicago,+Illinois/Nashville,…

19 Likes

the cost of her gas round-trip to our house has gone up $12 since the beginning of the year.

Gack, how far does she live from your house???

At $5/gallon 20 miles per gallon and 60 mph, gasoline costs $1.70 an hour. Even at $5/gallon with an old inefficient car, her time driving to your house is still worth much more than gasoline is costing her. And of course it is trivial these days to get 30 or even 40 miles per gallon.

R:)

2 Likes

The US is a much bigger place than most other countries. We have to drive a lot to get anywhere.
Many Europeans don’t grasp the scale of the US.

I think the bigger point is not the size of the country–Canada is much more spread out–
but the American cultural acceptance of long commutes in individual cars.
The average is 16-21 miles each way in the US, depending on the data source, and for 3.3 million people it’s over 50 miles each way. Ye gods.
(in Canada the median among those who drive to a usual place of work is 3.3 miles, and average around 8)

The long history of cheap gas allowed it in the US, so people took the gamble that it would always be so.
A lot of zoning, politics, geopolitics and economic structure is built on this dodgy assumption or actively trying to sustain it.
But gambles don’t always work out that well. The Manhattanites might get the last laugh.
I suspect the EV subsidies are less about greening and more about maintaining the distance addiction than it might at first appear.

Jim

25 Likes

Gack, how far does she live from your house???

About 30 miles. Big (old, paid for) pickup truck, probably gets 20 MPG. If that.
3 gallons at $5/gal = $15.

So I was wrong. Not $12. $15.

her time driving to your house is still worth much more than gasoline is costing her.
Could be. But she gets more money from me than she’d make sitting at home playing with the dog.

The US is a much bigger place than most other countries. We have to drive a lot to get anywhere. Many Europeans don’t grasp the scale of the US.
At Moto, we occasionally had a team from Denmark/England/Germany here for meetings in Chicago. Best one I recall was when we asked one team what they were planning to do for the upcoming weekend. They said that they were going to drive to New York to see the sights, and then drive back to Chicago in time for the Monday meetings. We had to inform them that they would spend the entire weekend driving to NY and would get there about Monday morning.

I’ve had these kinds of experiences with Europeans also. But my wife (from Asia) has almost the opposite feelings about air travel. She thinks of typical air travel as something like flying from Tokyo to London. But, recently we traveled by air to D.C. to visit our daughter and her husband. (They’re about two states away from where we now live.) We took off, achieved cruising altitude, and there was just enough time for the flight attendant to quickly serve soft drinks, when the pilot suddenly announced that we would soon be descending to land at our destination. She was really surprised!!

culcha

2 Likes