Poll: Age old dilemma

How many of you are positioned for market actually advancing?

• Yes
  • No
  • I have not changed my portfolio allocation for sometime

0 voters

I am not sure what this question means. Whether it means

• “Are you fully invested, expecting the market to advance?”
    or
  • “Do you hold a lot of cash, to put it all in should you come to the conclusion that this is the bottom and the market will advance from here?”

Could you please elaborate?

1 Like

I think your description is more or less close to my thinking. However, it could also mean, rotating out of some defensive names to names you think could move much quickly to upwards. For ex: it could be growth tech names instead of value tech names. or I bought some SPY calls more as a trade, but thinking of establishing some leaps on some names; that way I can define my loss and still participate in the upside.

I am not even discussing the strategy, but are people thinking about a market going higher at this time.

I like to think I’m always ready for an advancing or a declining market.
The way I look at it, about the only thing I’m sure of is that prices fluctuate.
Pricing can be efficient or not at different times, and I have no great confidence that I can both accurately price something and predict ahead of time which direction the price is going to fluctuate in.

Small comfort, but this year I’ve outperformed the S&P 500 in our brokerage accounts that I actively trade, while still down for the year.

We’ve got some cash that we can allocate to equities if things get cheaper, but we’ve got plenty invested too.

FWIW, I’ve been buying more than I’ve been selling this month, so I guess that indicates that I’m betting things will go up at some point, even if they go down in the short term. 5 buy transactions to 2 sell transactions.

1 Like