Poll: Closed Boards

They’re leaving because TMF threw most of them off the boat several weeks - perhaps months - before changing the direction of the boat, and made it very clear that they’re not the type of passengers the boat is looking for.

. . . TMF could have kept the non-financial boards open until the actual software shift was required.

I am guessing that they are smart enough to realize that they could have shifted policy when they changed board software. They chose to dump the non-finance posters without an option days, weeks or months before providing a new board (with only finance topics) where they could post. The fact that they chose to throw everyone who enjoyed the non-finance boards off the boat a significant amount of time prior to changing software indicates to me that they understand that this will simply eliminate a lot of the non-finance posters. And that’s what they want. People will drift away over days and weeks if there is no option. Most will never return. I can’t imagine that this is not exactly what TMF wants.

It’s their board. Their business. I think they understand that even if many of the posters do not.
People with more interest in non-financial topics are a burden TMF does not want. Actually, I imagine it was almost entirely the political discussions and political posters they wanted to eliminate. Lumping everything into “non-financial” was simply a way to avoid identifying the politically focused undesirables specifically. They don’t want them here. But they don’t want to argue with them about it.

4 Likes

Actually, I imagine it was almost entirely the political discussions and political posters they wanted to eliminate. Lumping everything into “non-financial” was simply a way to avoid identifying the politically focused undesirables specifically. They don’t want them here. But they don’t want to argue with them about it.

A very plausible deduction! Years ago I was in the midst of one of these political storms. One of the TMFools told me that he really hated the time wasted on pulling posts. I imagine that with the current snow-flake culture there was one post too many to pull and instead they just pulled the whole plug.

People who use the free boards and complain the loudest don’t seem to realize that we are TMF’s guests and we should behave accordingly.

Denny Schlesinger
Fool Since: July 10 2001
On a scale of 1 to 10, I like TMF…

5 Likes

the current snow-flake culture

Why is it a snow-flake culture?

I see a lot of bullies out there. Those bullies are usually the ones throwing around the “snowflake” label.

Why not call it a bully culture?

—Peter

19 Likes

People with more interest in non-financial topics are a burden TMF does not want.

No. No, because politics is a very financial topic.

Besides, why is TMF keeping METAR, the most political board this side of the Milky Way?

To add insult to injury, the politics of METAR have a very negative impact on the economy in general and finance in particular because they are anti-science and their so-called financial outlook is actually baseless propaganda and NOT financial!

For example:

a. They are wrong on the pandemic hoax.

b. They are wrong on the usefulness of vaccines. Vaccines are killing and injuring people by the thousands!

c. They are wrong on the medications that actually cure Covid - Ivermectin, Hydroxychloroquine, Budesonide etc.

d. They are wrong on Global Warming, renewables, coal etc. Coal is in fact the most efficient fossil fuel on the planet because it burns at a much higher temperature!

In fact, the political boards have more financial information with a huge impact on the Macroeconomy and all investments than TMF’s so-called financial boards.

As the Athenian Pericles put it 2,600 years ago:

“We do not say that a man who takes no interest in politics is a man who minds his own business; we say that he has no business here at all. - Pericles 5th Century BC”

-=Ajax=-

8 Likes

b. They are wrong on the usefulness of vaccines. Vaccines are killing and injuring people by the thousands!

If you compare that to the 4.66 billion people worldwide who are fully vaccinated against covid (575 million in the US)—figures updated 2 days ago—the percent of people who have had a negative response to the vaccine is not a source of concern. IN ADDITION, an article in the NYT the other day contained some telling data countering the validity of your objection. It focused on a police officer near Camden, NJ who had rejected vaccination because he felt it was developed too quickly for a full understanding of its pluses and minuses. He was in his late 30s, healthy, and his nurse-practitioner wife was convinced he’d weather covid well if he became infected. He was hospitalized for the first time at Christmas, and was on a ventilator. Hospitalized again (Feb?) with covid pneumonia, put on a ventilator, and no one expected him to survive. But he did—and has become an ardent advocate for the vaccine. And as part of this article, it was noted that covid is now the primary killer of police in the US—way way beyond deaths due to shootings. Not even close. In NJ, the police department in Newark decided to mandate vaccination beginning this past August. And while covid police deaths remain #1 everywhere else in NJ, in Newark…there hasn’t been a single one since August.

You say the METAR board is anti-science? And in the next breath you extol the curative virtues of ivermectin, hydroxychloroquine, budesonide. Budenoside is a steroid, given—not to cure—but to try and prevent the cytokine storm that creates severe damage and can be fatal. As for the other 2 items—how about using that “anti-science” descriptor for yourself.

As for your perspective on the environment…there are just no words.

=sheila

5 Likes

I see a lot of bullies out there. Those bullies are usually the ones throwing around the “snowflake” label.

Hmmm…when a bully’s words get a great deal of attention when he opens his mouth, whenever he gets up to address the public you really can call it a bully pulpit. :wink:

=sheila

1 Like

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/the-morning-after-formula…

Sheila, never argue with an idiot. Some of the readers may not see the difference.

3 Likes

To add insult to injury, the politics of METAR have a very negative impact on the economy in general and finance in particular because they are anti-science and their so-called financial outlook is actually baseless propaganda and NOT financial!

You say the METAR board is anti-science? And in the next breath you extol the curative virtues of ivermectin, hydroxychloroquine…

Yes Sheila, because we have about 500 medical studies that show that Ivermectin and Hydroxychloroquine cure Covid.

Regardless, Improve the Fool is not the Forum to debate this. And here, METAR is completely useless because they delete everything that disagrees with Big Pharma and Conservative Fools is closed and we cannot discuss this issue at all!

So, the TMF does not want to debate an issue that has a huge impact on the economy and finance.

As an aside, some people never learned that name calling is not an argument:

CountNoCount**:** Sheila, never argue with an idiot.

-=Ajax=-

6 Likes

“We do not say that a man who takes no interest in politics is a man who minds his own business; we say that he has no business here at all. - Pericles 5th Century BC”

-=Ajax=-

highly rec worthy…

5 Likes

Oh geez. If the anti-vax and Trumpian fruitcakes, having nowhere else to spew their vomit, are gonna start invading the remaining open boards, this does not bode well for the new TMF at all.

12 Likes

You say the METAR board is anti-science? And in the next breath you extol the curative virtues of ivermectin, hydroxychloroquine…
Yes Sheila, because we have about 500 medical studies that show that Ivermectin and Hydroxychloroquine cure Covid.

Hmmm…perhaps you want to recategorize that as pseudo-science. A recent meta-analysis (which also included earlier meta-analyses—actually finds either no effect of hydrochloroquine, or an increased likelihood of death—especialy when azithromycin was added—see below. Ivermectin does appear to have possiblel value for hospitalized patients, with more study needed.

And this is my final response to the issues you’re raising. I just don’t want anyone relying on hydrochloroquine and losing their life because of it.

=sheila

Review Travel Med Infect Dis
Sep-Oct 2021;43:102135. doi: 10.1016/j.tmaid.2021.102135. Epub 2021 Jul 12.
Efficacy of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine in treating COVID-19 infection: A meta-review of systematic reviews and an updated meta-analysis
Tawanda Chivese 1, Omran A H Musa 2, George Hindy 2, Noor Al-Wattary 2, Saif Badran 3, Nada Soliman 4, Ahmed T M Aboughalia 4, Joshua T Matizanadzo 5, Mohamed M Emara 6, Lukman Thalib 7, Suhail A R Doi 2

Free PMC article

Abstract
Objective: To synthesize findings from systematic reviews and meta-analyses on the efficacy and safety of chloroquine (CQ) and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) with or without Azithromycin for treating COVID-19, and to update the evidence using a meta-analysis.

Methods: A comprehensive search was carried out in electronic databases for systematic reviews, meta-analyses and experimental studies which investigated the efficacy and safety of CQ, HCQ with or without Azithromycin to treat COVID-19. Findings from the reviews were synthesised using tables and forest plots and the quality effect model was used for the updated meta-analysis. The main outcomes were mortality, the need for intensive care services, disease exacerbation, viral clearance and occurrence of adverse events.

Results: Thirteen reviews with 40 primary studies were included. Two meta-analyses reported a high risk of mortality, with ORs of 2.2 and 3.0, and the two others found no association between HCQ and mortality. Findings from two meta-analyses showed that HCQ with Azithromycin increased the risk of mortality, with similar ORs of 2.5. The updated meta-analysis of experimental studies showed that the drugs were not effective in reducing mortality (RR 1.1, 95%CI 1.0-1.3, I2 = 0.0%), need for intensive care services (OR 1.1, 95%CI 0.9-1.4, I2 = 0.0%), virological cure (OR 1.5, 95%CI 0.5-4.4, I2 = 39.6%) or disease exacerbation (OR 1.2, 95%CI 0.3-5.9, I2 = 31.9%) but increased the odds of adverse events (OR 12,3, 95%CI 2.5-59.9, I2 = 76.6%).

Conclusion: There is conclusive evidence that CQ and HCQ, with or without Azithromycin, are not effective in treating COVID-19 or its exacerbation.

3 Likes

Go ahead! It all depends on your perspective. I see the world as a tough place where you need not just a thick skin but the whole world supplying a country with deadly weapons to help it survive. Snowflakes are much too delicate for this world, the real world. My personal experience is that first I lost my country of birth and then I lost my adopted country. That’s the world’s reality now playing out in Ukraine.

It seems it comes down to how you respond to the bullies, you can’t wish them away.

I’ll never forget the first day I went to my university dorm. They were really very nice people, ‘If you have any problem, just come and talk to us.’ I did find a problem, the glass has fallen off the mail box door so I went to the front desk to have it fixed. I got a totally unexpected reply, ‘Use your MIT ingenuity.’ My MIT ingenuity? What the hell are they talking about? I asked, ‘You are not going to fix it?’ ‘No. Use your MIT ingenuity.’ I asked, ‘My MIT ingenuity?’ ‘Yes.’ So I did and it was one of the best lessons I learned at MIT next to learning to sail. Today MIT is likely to face a lawsuit, a campus demonstration, and maybe violent riots for being bullies.

Denny Schlesinger

6 Likes

TMF - Trumpian Moronic Fruitcakes?

3 Likes

Are you Russian Chinese or Iranian?

No. No, because politics is a very financial topic.

Besides, why is TMF keeping METAR, the most political board this side of the Milky Way?

For example:

a. They are wrong on the pandemic hoax.

c. They are wrong on the medications that actually cure Covid - Ivermectin, Hydroxychloroquine, Budesonide etc.

d. They are wrong on Global Warming, renewables, coal etc. Coal is in fact the most efficient fossil fuel on the planet because it burns at a much higher temperature!

In fact, the political boards have more financial information with a huge impact on the Macroeconomy and all investments than TMF’s so-called financial boards.

-=Ajax=-

1 Like

I guess these boards were my social media, before social media blew up. I don’t Insta/Tweet/TikToc, I have limited FB. This was it… The people I met on the financial boards began sharing their lives outside those boards and I followed…what brought me here and why I stayed are different things.>

Same for me. There were so many posts about how one can strive for FI (Financial Independence) about 20 years ago. A good core of reasonably smart people asked lots of questions and were very kind to share their many varied experiences about the road they were taking or had taken. Over time, the basic questions were answered and most regulars built up enough of a financial foundation to make their own decisions.

It was a natural progression that people would bring other subjects into their conversations. Any financial questions were still welcomed and discussed. However, there was no longer a need to devote as much time to the original subject matter. Things evolved to the point where there were many threads on favorite foods, movies, vacation spots, pets, beer, housing, clothing, cars, sports, etc. IOW, the very same things that people would talk about with their in person friends. Latecomers were always welcomed. Some of them wondered why most posts were not about financial matters. They were encouraged to look up some of the subjects in the board history. If they had a specific question they were told to just ask it.

I have not been posting with regularity for awhile as a number of valued posters have left over the years. Some left voluntarily, others not. The experience tended to become less engaging. I too am not a social media person. TMF served as an equivalent for me for many years. Other sites were not usually very rewarding.

I do find an irony in TMF loudly putting down most of those who sold financial services back in the early days only for them to eventually rely on that to remain a going concern.

BG

4 Likes

https://cdn0.opinion-corp.com/other-media/companies/generate…

3 Likes