Poll: Conviction Poll

Board Moderators - Please delete this message if it is not allowed - I looked through the MMROTB and did not see anything specific to asking this type of question.

If it is ok, I would like to ask this question one time each month. I would adjust the stocks in the poll based on what is most widely owned and/or discussed at that time.

Poll Question - which of the following is your highest conviction stock (for a minimum 1 year hold) based on the current share price.

• AYX
  • CRWD
  • DDOG
  • FSLY
  • ZM

0 voters

11 Likes

Poll Question - which of the following is your highest conviction stock (for a minimum 1 year hold) based on the current share price.

I’m not sure how you can include “for a minimum 1 year hold”. For example, what if the investing thesis changes?

I’m also not sure you can include “based on the current share price.”

Why not just ask “which of the following is your highest conviction stock”?

6 Likes

I’m not sure how you can include “for a minimum 1 year hold”. For example, what if the investing thesis changes?

I’m also not sure you can include “based on the current share price.”

Why not just ask “which of the following is your highest conviction stock”?

Good feedback. I agree. On this board, I think those things are probably not necessary - I was trying to avoid someone ranking a stock high based on a short term trade mentality. If the moderators allow me to ask the poll again next month, I will follow your suggestion.

Care to elaborate? Should we assume you feel these are all overvalued and you have sold out of all of these positions? Or, if you never owned them (I doubt if you follow this board), then care to tell us why?

Hey AK…polls aren’t allowed, it clutters up the board…here is Saul’s response to another conviction type thing.

https://discussion.fool.com/gary-lists-of-stocks-ranked-by-some-…

Be sure to look at Saul’s knowledge base and also he posts at the beginning of each week, Rules of the Board or one of the co-chairs for lack of a better word, do.

5 Likes

Saul - I got one response saying that polls are not allowed, but I would like to respectfully request if you would reconsider. If we limit it to one poll per month, I don’t think it will clutter the board. If allowed, I would try to do it during a time of slower message volume (not on the day ZM earnings are released for example). I know it helped me finalize my decision on where to allocate capital this week, and I think it might help others also. It’s a brief message and takes very little time to read and vote. Let me know what you think - if you say “no” then I won’t bring it up again.

Summary of Poll:

• 340 people voted.
    #1 - CRWD with 135 votes
    #2 - ZM with 95 votes
    #3 - DDOG with 45 votes
    #4 - AYX with 42 votes (this one and FSLY surprised me - I wonder if it’s because people see FSLY as being overvalued currently - it was still over $90 when most people voted)
    #5 - FSLY - only 23 votes

I was asked why I did not include LVGO. 2 reasons - it is not as widely owned as the rest by the people on the board (those who share their portfolios), and the poll tool has a limit of 5 selections. Also, it had not had as much discussion on the board when I made the poll as it has in the last few days.

Thanks to all who participated

I used the collective intelligence of the board to help confirm my decision to buy some more CRWD on Monday when it was near ATH, then when it dipped (gasp) I bought even more… (oh the horror!! he bought more because of a dip!!).

16 Likes

So for fun, I checked Robinhood to see if any of these 5 conviction stocks were on their top 100 as of 7/17/20.

ShepherdRN, please don’t fill up our board with junk posts. Read the Rules of the Board!!!
Saul

4 Likes

Sorry Saul.

My bad. Wont happen again.

Don’t feel bad Shepard, I’ve had my hand politely slapped too. If I might add a little insight (IMO) into why these types of posts are not welcome on the board, for those that might be new to the board.

Shepard’s intentions were good; he/she was looking for insight into a few companies, with an idea of where to invest. Instead of polls, lists, etc., this board favors real fundamental data, data that might be quantifiable, new information that might inform the company’s business, or other tangible information that provides a meaningful insight to the company. Polls, lists, etc. typically are not (necessarily) based on real data, rather, how one might “feel” about a company. Certainly, that plays into the decision, but that is more of a personal insight. And polls, lists, rankings, etc. necessarily do not include all the companies of interest to all on the board, so it’s an incomplete evaluation, at best.

When I read a post that I’d like to respond to, I run it through the following 4 way test:

1. Will my response add new, accurate, information to the thread? If yes, I typically include the link to the source, if there is a link. Otherwise I will include where I found the information, if a link is not available. (Note: I typically won’t share information that is behind a paywall until some time has passed to respect the business providing the information).
  2. Is the new information I’m adding of interest to all on the board? If not, I respond directly to the individual.
  3. Is the new information value add, e.g., adding to the “story” of the company. This is often a judgement call and similar to number 2 above, but some information might be new, and accurate but just doesn’t add much to the story. If so, I might respond to the individual directly, more as “color commentary”.
  4. Finally, is my response presented in a civil, cordial, polite, and/or otherwise nice context, even if the previous comment was not? It must be. This is a hard requirement for the board, and me.

Hope this is helpful.
Gary

13 Likes