Poll: Is intercst is brilliant?

Is intercst is brilliant and the greatest investor since sliced bread?

• Yes
  • Good for him, making the choices FOR HIM.
  • Yes. And we don’t need to hear it more than once a day.

0 voters

2 Likes

Rayvt asks,

Is intercst is brilliant and the greatest investor since sliced bread?

Actually, no.

Over the past 40 years I’ve only beaten the return of the S&P 500 by about 1.5% annualized. Even though I had some big winners in DELL and Pfizer and more recently when a 20 year plus holding in Avis Rental Car got caught in a short squeeze, you’re going to suffer a lot of reversion to the mean if you’re investing in individual stocks. You’ll do almost as well just investing in an index fund or sector funds.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/avis-stock-p…

There’s a much bigger opportunity in “minimizing the skim” of the excess fees and costs most people end up paying, and then getting an S&P 500 market return on the savings. Case in point on my real estate experience.

intercst

11 Likes

I don’t think I have ever seen anyone make a poll on one single member of the Fool. Interesting.

Andy

1 Like

I don’t think I have ever seen anyone make a poll on one single member of the Fool. Interesting.

And with it’s paucity of answers to chose from, obviously not meant to be serious.

IP

And with it’s paucity of answers to chose from, obviously not meant to be serious.

It’s good that there wasn’t a “intercst is in my pants” choice.

PSU

12 Likes

PSU

LOL. Agreed, though the other posted options were almost as disagreeable as yours.

IP

Gee, and I thought RayVt was a nice guy!!

Or an “Intercst is in my head” choice. :slight_smile:

Andy

2 Likes

There are some sharp elbows around this place for sure.

2 Likes

There are some sharp elbows around this place for sure.

Strong personalities that have been dealing with each other for decades…After the first thousand or so pompous posts, it’s hard to keep your mouth shut.

IP

1 Like

Intercst can come across as pompous,IP can get passive aggressive when she thinks her real estate wisdom is called into question, and rayvt, PSU and I can be snarky at times. They all have a lot to offer and i have mostly learned to stay out of it when it gets personal. Intercst seems to enjoy the latest attempt to cyber bully him. Reminds me of me and my brothers when we were growing up. AB’s tax advice is worth the price of admission.

21 Likes

AJ, not AB.

IP can get passive aggressive when she thinks her real estate wisdom is called into question,…

Nah. I just hate it when people are told generically not to bother checking out opportunities because the “king” deems it improper. They should run their numbers for themselves. Some things you can extrapolate data from one situation to another. For real estate and many other things, like Roth Conversions, it has to be taken on a case by case basis. It’s critical to understand the limits of data extrapolation. I often see a strong lack of that understanding in Intercst.

IP,
admitting fully that mistreatment of data is a peeve of mine

2 Likes

If you read the previous posts, you’ll see that somebody asked about making a poll about intercst. Nobody else stepped up, so I did.

IP: admitting fully that mistreatment of data is a peeve of mine

I have heard that data will say anything if you torture them enough.

CNC

6 Likes

Props for correctly using data as plural.

I said I am an engineer, not that I am iggerent. :grin: :laughing: :sweat_smile: :joy: :rofl:

3 Likes

Absolutely. I was a research chemist and tech liaison to marketing for my product line. I had to constantly push back against marketing when they wanted to make claims about my research. “No, the data doesn’t say that, it says this…”

I would think that as an engineer Intrscst would know better, but perhaps his points would be less persuasive if he actually stated what the data says. Worse yet, his mistreatment of data has been pointed out to him repeatedly over the years and he still sticks to his bias, doing his best to get others to feel the same as he.

One of the big concerns in design of a study is does the data you are collecting actually answer the question you are asking, or does it demonstrate something completely different. The study he showed re return on stock market vs real estate is only valid if you are able to invest in generic national real estate. Location, location, location.

IP

1 Like

One of my harshest memories was the first report I submitted post college for review by my boss. While it was the only error he could find, there was a big red circle around the use of “data” for a single point. I will never forget the word for a single point is “datum.” My face turned as red as that ink when I read that.

IP,
who holds her own feet to the fire as well

1 Like

“Data” is not plural. Data is a word like rice and sand. A word for the collective.

If you walk across a beach barefoot and burn your feet, so you say “The sand are very hot”?

1 Like