Poll on portfolio management

I am struggling with determining just how much time is reasonable to invest in managing your personal portfolio. I have a day job and a family and I am finding it challenging to reassure myself I am investing the right amount of time.

I am curious to know what the average management time investment is for people on this board, so I created a survey monkey survey.

It’s a simple survey asking two questions:

How many hours a week do you spend managing your personal portfolio?

How many stocks are actively managed in your personal portfolio?

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RBVYH6F

Assuming I get responses I will post the results after a week.

Thanks for participating

JC1997,

I answered your survey. I put down 1 hour (the smallest answer available). I actually spend less than an hour per week actually managing my portfolio – more like an hour per month. And even the question of “how many actively managed stocks” was vague to me… I don’t actively manage any. I buy great companies at good prices and hold them until one or the other is no longer true.

BUT, I spend MANY hours per week reading (Fool boards, books, other web sites, magazines, etc.) to increase my understanding of business, specific industries, companies, economics, and how the world works (or doesn’t work). Out of that ever-richer contextual understanding, I make the very few portfolio moves that I do every year.

So, I am not sure if I answered your question as you intended. BTW, you can ask poll questions here too. Just select “Create Poll” and people can answer here, and can see the responses thus far.

Best of luck!

Tiptree, Fool One guide, not very active (yawn)

7 Likes

It really depends on what is included in “manage”. My actual trades are relatively rare (maybe 2-3 transactions per month). But, I spend at least a few minutes per day reading the boards here at MF, articles linked in my portfolio news feed, etc. I find it really helps to be aware of what’s going on with my companies so when a decision needs to be made, I can make an informed one.

1 Like

going forward you might want to use the pool feature built into these boards, right after “reply later” there is “Create Poll”

1 Like

I answered your poll too, but included my time reading and investigating stocks. Not just trading time.
Just shows how poll questions can be very tricky. I like the idea though.

going forward you might want to use the pool feature built into these boards, right after “reply later” there is “Create Poll”

Unless he wants multiple boards to respond to a single survey.

I took “manage” to mean research, read, Fool, chart, etc as opposed to the few minutes to buy and sell :wink:

The survey period went longer than I expected because I was still getting responses beyond the first week. We received a total of 54 responses, which I think is a great response.

1-2hrs-----19%
4hrs-------22%
8hrs-------41%
16+hrs-----19%

How many stocks are actively managed in your personal portfolio?

4-----4%
8-----9%
16----26%
24----26%
32±–35%

Interesting points IMO.

60% of the hours were in the 8-16+hrs a week periods, which I would have expected with people spending 1-2hrs a day working on their investments.

61% portfolios fell into the 24-32+ total stock, 39% fell into 4-16 total stocks. I regret not getting more granular in this one on the higher range and not listing options higher than 32 stocks, I suspect those 35% folks have much larger portfolios.

I think it would be interesting to follow up and ask how much time does one spend based on the size of your portfolio.

Personally I had way to many stocks in my portfolio (52) before I found Sauls forum and my portfolio was on largely on auto pilot which did not make me comfortable. I felt lost when looking at the list of stocks, I would look at some of the stocks and forget what the company was even about. That is a real back place to be as an investor. Since then I have cut down my portfolio to 30 and have a clear understand of what stocks I own. A more focused portfolio, in theory, should result in a higher rate of return in the long run vs the market.

I group the stocks into 3 categories, Strong, moderate, low conviction, with the strong being the highest allocated and I know those stocks very well.

I am now personally finding myself spending 1hr a weekday working the portfolio, one stock at at time and feeling much more comfortable in the direction I am heading.

Here are the survey results:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-6GZNDNJW/

5 Likes