Poll: What is your biggest expense in retirement

Taxes

1 Like

As has been point out in this thread, you are a lucky dog.

2 Likes

Golfing expenses.

JimA

2 Likes

For the win!

2 Likes

Food and Food and then there’s something to eat.

2 Likes

I was including property taxes into “housing” and therefore indicated “housing” as our biggest expense. Ex-taxes, it’s not. Taxes of all kinds–property, income (state and federal), sales–clearly is. Our plan was for travel to be our biggest expense in retirement, but the coronavirus has had a different idea about that.

“I was including property taxes into “housing” and therefore indicated “housing” as our biggest expense. Ex-taxes, it’s not. Taxes of all kinds–property, income (state and federal), sales”

Clearly it depends on how granularly you categorize. My golf expenses are the costs of equipment and the rounds of golf and the entry fees to tournaments. If I also included travel expenses such as gas and hotels and food on the road, then ‘golf expenses’ are considerably more than taxes, food, housing or other category you might dream up.

Life is good!

JimA

Golfing expenses.

Golf is actually one of my lowest expenses and I play three times a week. It helps to be a marshal one morning a week. Saved me a boatload of green fees since 2004.

Regards,

ImAGolfer (retired '03)

3 Likes

"Golf is actually one of my lowest expenses and I play three times a week. It helps to be a marshal one morning a week. Saved me a boatload of green fees since 2004.
Regards,
ImAGolfer (retired '03)"

I understand - but I play some 30 plus tournament rounds a year all over the US. My registration fees alone are over $5,000/yr. Additionally, I don’t belong to a club as I don’t want to feel obligated to play the same course day after day. I aim for 50 new courses every year; one year it was 85 new courses.

JimA

3 Likes

women are my biggest expense…i retired single and date a lot…

16 Likes

If you’re buying new, then yeah, expensive. I hear used ones are cheaper. Just sayin’

13 Likes

…
If you’re buying new, then yeah, expensive. I hear used ones are cheaper. Just sayin’

Or maybe you should stop leasing and make a commitment!

IP

4 Likes

>>women are my biggest expense…i retired single and date a lot…
…
If you’re buying new, then yeah, expensive. I hear used ones are cheaper. Just sayin’<<

Or maybe you should stop leasing and make a commitment!

IP

LOL. We need intercst to chime in here with his pithy lease vs buy insights.

11 Likes

Goofyhoofy: If you’re buying new, then yeah, expensive. I hear used ones are cheaper. Just sayin’

Not according to Johnny Carson. He once did a magic trick upon request from a guest, a twelve year old mathematics wunderkind. To the delight of the boy, Johnny made a quarter “disappear.”

The kid thought for a moment, then said, “But you didn’t REALLY make it disappear, did you. Can you make it REALLY disappear?”

“You want to know how to make money REALLY disappear, kid, I’ll tell you. Get married.”

10 Likes

< K2 is critical in getting calcium out of the soft tissues and into the bone. Over the counter lost cost product. Anyone who consumes calcium or takes supplements should be taking it. You want that calcium getting to the bones, not causing calcification of the arteries.>

I read about this several years ago. I took K2 supplements for months (two different manufacturers, both highly rated by customers on Amazon.com).

I stopped taking the supplements because I felt really bad all over. Achy, tired and weak. This went away when I stopped the supplements.

I don’t know if this is an individual reaction or why it happened.

I also stopped taking calcium supplements when a large study showed that it didn’t reduce osteoporosis in postmenopausal women and might increase the risk of cardiovascular disease and kidney stones.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6276611/

I now eat a large bowl of kale every day for K2. Yogurt and vegetables for calcium. Vitamin D, 5000 I.U. per day when I don’t get sun. One teaspoon of Milk of Magnesia per day. Lite Salt (50% NaCl, 50% KCl) instead of regular table salt. Plus an “Adult Multivitamin” for assorted nutrients (selenium, iodine, B vitamins, etc.)

To keep this on-topic.
Our biggest expense in retirement is taxes. Followed by insurance, although the health insurance is dramatically lower since we have been on Medicare.

Wendy

3 Likes

<“You want to know how to make money REALLY disappear, kid, I’ll tell you. Get married.” >

Ha, ha.
A middle-aged guy cracked that “joke” in front of us about 30 years ago. I turned to DH and said, “Say, sweetheart, maybe I should quit my job so you can support me.”

The humorist gulped.

Wendy

2 Likes

In NJ, we had the story of a real estate lady who was murdered by her husband. He beat her to death with a pipe wrench while she was sleeping.

She was making good money in real estate. She wanted him to get a job and decided he had to go. He was quite unhappy about it. Died in prison.

I now eat a large bowl of kale every day for K2.

watch those oxalates. jes saying

2 Likes

I now eat a large bowl of kale every day for K2.

I’ve eaten kale.

I’d rather die 5 years earlier than eat kale every day. I’d actually call that a good trade.

–Peter <== really doesn’t like kale.

12 Likes

"women are my biggest expense…i retired single and date a lot… "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

People generally need to interact with other people for their own health and happiness. The
main problem is developing a degree of trust in the other person. This also holds true in
marriage - though the issue tends to begun maintaining that trust.
I don’t think there is of necessity any expense differences between married life and single
life. You have individuals and some want to do things that cost more or less money.

Howie52
Things tend to be a matter of individual people and how or why they interact.
Money tends to be used as a cure for problems. But the disease is sometimes more resistant than
the cure supposes.

2 Likes