Poll: What's your number?

There’s actually a fair amount of research on the topic of how much you need to retire, and the general answer is enough that your anticipated expenses will be less than 4% of the value of your diversified portfolio.

I took a look at the safe retirement rate question recently. One good article can be found in the MF service Rule Your Retirement.
https://www.fool.com/premium/rule-your-retirement/coverage/1…

The approach that I found most persuasive is described here:
https://www.onefpa.org/journal/Pages/Simple%20Formulas%20to%…
A key point of that I agree with is recalculating each year based on the actual situation. The idea of basing everything off the conditions in place when the process starts, without adjusting for changes, never made sense to me.

2 Likes

There is a lot of confusion over “Safe Withdrawal Rate,” even among those who work for TMF and run at least one of the real money services (with a retirement portfolio).

I’ve recommended calling it “Safe Initial Withdrawal Rate” (SIWR) instead, to make it clear that the number is the percentage you withdraw the first year. The plan is that you adjust that amount up or down based on inflation for the previous year. So, if last year you withdrew $40K and inflation was 10%, then this year you get to withdraw up to $44K.

The 4% number is based on back-testing various sample portfolios going back at least to 1920, often earlier, and the need to have the portfolio feed you adequately for 40 years.

There is a whole lot of discussion on the web about this. For instance, Is the ‘Safe’ Initial Withdrawal Rate Too Safe?: http://www.bobneiman.com/NWM_Pages/Decision%20Rules%20%26%20…

And New Research on How Much Clients Can Spend in Retirement: https://www.advisorperspectives.com/articles/2013/11/19/new-…

Are just a couple. There are some points to note:

1. These models all assume a relatively non-managed portfolio. Some mimic the S&P, some use a ratio of large cap funds and Treasury funds that changes to be even more conservative during retirement.
  2. The back testing ends up focusing on the worst periods. Surprisingly, the worst year to have retired in the last 140 years is 1966. The best were 1921 and 1879 - years where your SIWR was over 9%. Note that “worst” is a combination of market returns AND inflation. Low returns with low inflation isn’t that much of a problem.
  3. Typically, it’s assumed the full allowable amount is actually withdrawn. If you’re willing to cut your withdrawals during down market years, you might be safe starting with a 1% high SIWR.
  4. Typically, you spend less money as you get older. You’re not as active, so you don’t take those whirlwind round-the-world vacations. Stats say once you’re 75, you spend about 25% less than when you were 65.
  5. 40 years is a long retirement, unless you’re retiring young. Retiring at 65 and living to 95 is still unlikely today (90% don’t make it), yet it’s what many plan for.
  6. The combination of living too long AND having really bad markets is statistically low - something like less than 2%. So maybe not the best idea to plan for both.

One other thought: The inventor of the SWR, Bill Bengen, recently retired himself. But, he doesn’t do his own retirement planning - he’s got two financial advisors running software to tell him how much he can spend each year, but those amounts “are close” to the 4%.

Now for us here on Saul’s board, we actively manage our portfolios, so we expect to do better than some conservative mix of large caps and T-Bills. And so looking at a 4% withdrawal, we may think that our portfolio will actually continue to grow if that’s all we’re extracting. I don’t know that anyone has back-tested an aggressively managed portfolio like Saul’s back very far, and how that kind of portfolio can do as it shrinks in size from withdrawals. But, I’d sure like to know. Remember that even in years you lose money in the market (as even Saul has), you still will be withdrawing to live. And that can be really scary.

8 Likes

FWIW, AAII Computerized Investing has decent article with a spreadsheet for calculating a safe withdrawal rate.

Here’s a link to the article, and within the article is another link under the “The Spreadsheet - Input Tab” heading.
http://www.aaii.com/computerized-investing/article/retiremen…

Dan

1 Like
<i>
Maybe you don't, but I do. And here is why. In retirement you just might need money when the market is going through a 1 or 2 year downdraft and prices might not be what you want. I personally believe dividend/distribution income is more stable during bear markets than security prices and more likely to be there when you need them.</i>

Couldn't agree more B&W which is why I run a high yield portfolio - gearing up for providing secure retirement income as well as a growth portfolio in order to keep aggressively growing capital.

Ant

RaptorD2 wrote:
AAII Computerized Investing has decent article with a spreadsheet for calculating a safe withdrawal rate.

Just a word of caution here. The AAII spreadsheet is, like all such spreadsheets, actually pretty dangerous if you expect to do the SWR thing. For instance, if you have $1Million, start taking out $60K, adjusted for inflation, and assume you make 8% per year with inflation at 3.5%. The math will work out that this will be fine for way more than 30 years.

In reality, however, your return won’t be 8% per year each year, nor will inflation be 3.5% each year. Some years you may lose money. Some years inflation may be sky high. A Black Swan event will probably occur during the 30 years you need this portfolio to last. Any of these can drain a portfolio to a point from which it won’t recover.

rbgibbons wrote:
…That number was calculated using Monte Carlo simulations, and what it really means is that if you only spend that much, there’s a 95% chance (or something like that) that you won’t run out of money before you die.

So, yeah, one way some people went about trying to be more realistic was to introduce randomness into the evaluation. That introduces some variability based on probability, but there are variables like the distribution curves (Gaussian or log or binomial, etc.) that have a big effect on the outcomes. And then this simulation only adds randomness to the values that still average out, but it doesn’t introduce Black Swan type events where more many things are adversely affected at the same time, and do so because of the way things work. Monte Carlo simulations help with volatility, but not with how various things move in tandem.

This article attacks Monte Carlo simulations pretty brutally: http://retirementoptimizer.com/articles/MCArticle.pdf

This article defends Monte Carlo in theory, but admits in practice the tools that actually employ it are lacking: https://www.advisorperspectives.com/articles/2014/08/26/the-…

So, what to do? One proposed solution is to back test your plan against what has really happened in the last 100+ years. Yes, we all agree the past doesn’t predict the future, but testing your plan against how real markets and the correlation between the behavior of stocks, conventional bonds, inflation-indexed bonds and cash have occurred is useful. The idea is to see if your plan would have survived starting at any of the 100+ years for which we have data.

You can check out one such back testing tool at http://www.retirementoptimizer.com/ (or search for Otar Retirement Calculator). There is a free trial version you can try out, and there are some other free resources like a Cash Flow tabulation sheet. The website is geared towards people who advise others on retirement, not for do it yourselfers like us. I have no relationship with the website or its owner and am only just now playing with the trial version. Note that the outcome of this Calculator is not a pass/fail, but it gives you 100 outcomes all graphed on top of each other, with the 90 percentile outcome highlighted. You could, of course, choose to be more conservative and look for a higher percentage of successes, or be more aggressive and go the other way.

This includes things like some combination of equities and bonds and cash as your portfolio. While this is far better than choosing an “average” yearly return and applying some randomness to it, it’s still not the kind of portfolio we here on Saul’s board run for ourselves. So, the best it could give you would be what a portfolio based on the S&P 500 would do for certain withdrawal rates (with optional limits or stop losses) over the past 100+ years. Of course, it’s possible that in our lifetimes markets get whacked in ways not seen in the century. I don’t know how anyone can prepare for that.

If you want, there is a whole website discussion forum for people doing retirement planning for a living at https://www.bogleheads.org. Jim Otar’s book is available from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Unveiling-Retirement-Myth-Jim-Otar/dp…) for in PDF form for under $10 from his website.

5 Likes

One opinion on health care costs for retirees:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/healthview-services-…

HealthView’s data shows the average healthy 65-year-old couple retiring this year is projected to spend $288,400 in today’s dollars on lifetime Medicare Parts B, D and supplemental insurance (Plan F) premiums. When dental, hearing, vision and all other out-of-pocket expenses are included, the total retirement health care bill rises to $377,412.

1 Like

Yowzer!

1 Like

I’ve been pondering this for a while now. I’m currently mid-50s and plan to retire by 60. I have a few advantages in that I will have several “pots” of money:

Government pension (unfortunately not one of those old CSRS plans that gives you 2% per year of retirement)
Private Industry pension plan at 65
Social Security (maybe start at 62, not sure yet)
Personal Savings (401K, taxable)

If it was only me, and my house was paid off, I think I could get by with $3,000 per month after taxes and I could probably do that just from the personal savings. Not exactly luxury but my biggest expenses now are: taxes, mortgages, saving for retirement. So most of those will be gone.

I will have the use of health insurance from 60 on due to the government job (if I can survive another 2 years where I’m at, not as easy as you’d think). After leaving the government in my mid 50s I plan to go back to private industry for ~4 years. Fortunately I’m in a career field where I shouldn’t have a big problem getting a job.

Anyhow, for me anything in the $1-2M range would be plenty.

Personally I think a few too many people obsess over having enough and end up working too long and don’t make it to retirement or when they do, they are unable to do things they were hoping to. I’ve made a fair number of trips to Europe and those trips require a lot of walking, carrying luggage, climbing steps, etc. Not exactly easy when you get older. Sure I see a number of 70+ people doing it, but I think they are the exception rather than the rule.

Also in my case I don’t have expensive hobbies, debts, etc.

Rich

7 Likes

Anyhow, for me anything in the $1-2M range would be plenty.

Personally I think a few too many people obsess over having enough and end up working too long and don’t make it to retirement or when they do, they are unable to do things they were hoping to. I’ve made a fair number of trips to Europe and those trips require a lot of walking, carrying luggage, climbing steps, etc. Not exactly easy when you get older. Sure I see a number of 70+ people doing it, but I think they are the exception rather than the rule.

Rich, I could not agree more! I will be 60 years old next month. I “semi-retired” a few years ago, but mostly do not work, nor do I have any employment income to speak of. I paid off my mortgage before semi-retiring. My monthly expenses are running less than $4k per month, and that includes keeping up my professional licenses. I don’t live an extravagant lifestyle, but I do enjoy life. I don’t have all of the income streams you do (or you will), but for myself, I am comfortable with the $1-2m range.

Kudos to your desire to live life while you still can!

1 Like

I’ve made a fair number of trips to Europe and those trips require a lot of walking, carrying luggage, climbing steps, etc. Not exactly easy when you get older. Sure I see a number of 70+ people doing it, but I think they are the exception rather than the rule.

Yep that is why I hold 2 cruise line operators in my portfolio focused on the ageing mega theme. They have done very well during the low oil price era and have China coming on stream like gangbusters plus Cuba opening up.

Ant

2 Likes

Well folks, how about a different perspective. I was a farmer until I couldn’t keep the business going anymore and lost it. Then worked as a service engineer for the rest of my career. Traveling the USA and Europe. Then at 57 years old the company closed the doors and I lost all but a small part of my pension. Miraculously I found another job at my age and when working in South Carolina the company I worked for closed and I finished the job working for the bank. I had a small IRA that I didn’t convert to Roth because I knew I wouldn’t have to pay any taxes after I retired. I didn’t borrow a cent since leaving the farm behind. I have a very nice small place in northern Wisconsin with taxes of $800/year. I am living on Social Security and the small pension and have a very comfortable life. Just upgraded the auto.

Millions? Don’t need em. Remember, when you’re old you don’t even care to go on expensive vacations or kayak the rivers and climb mountains. Content, that’s me.

Would be nice to add tho and that’s why I follow this excellent board. You folks are so helpful.

Thanks to all, Jim

47 Likes

Jim:

Thanks for posting your story. I appreciate it. Good luck.

b&w

Content with what one has is an awfully good start!

1 Like

I’m kind of in a different situation. I own four businesses, working on a fifth and then sixth.
I’m 58, I have management running the businesses and so I only work very part time.
I receive monthly distribution from each business so each month I have money coming in.

I don’t plan on every really fully retiring as I’ll always have at least a few businesses, maybe more, paying me monthly distribution. When my partners and I do open a new location I work full time only to set the new business up, and then pretty quickly ween myself off any daily operations. We have a solid formula and so far it’s been dupicatable with success.

As for the future I’m very open to new ideas. At some point I would like to spend a good portion of my time volunteering. Doing a small part in bringing knowledge and service to something or someone in need.

After seeing the movie “Lion” last evening, it solidified the strong feeling I have to adopt a child or two and give them a better opportunity. I cannot think of anything more rewarding then that.

So full retirement? Never.

Chris

6 Likes