Private Citizen Spacewalk by Year End

Within 5 years I think we’ll see 3 or 4 hour orbital space tourist flights for less than $100,000. Musk’s Starship can put a payload of dozens of people in orbit and return it to Earth for $50/lb.

This will also make the Jeff Bezos and Richard Branson billionaire rocket toys obsolete.

Jared Isaacman, who led the first all-private astronaut mission to orbit, has commissioned 3 more flights from SpaceX
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/02/14/jared-i…

The first flight, which could come by the end of the year, will aim to send a crew of four farther than any other human spaceflight in 50 years and feature the first private-citizen spacewalk, Isaacman said in an exclusive interview with The Washington Post. The second flight also would be aboard SpaceX’s Dragon spacecraft, the vehicle that NASA now relies on to fly astronauts to the International Space Station.

intercst

2 Likes

The first flight, which could come by the end of the year, will aim to send a crew of four farther than any other human spaceflight in 50 years and feature the first private-citizen spacewalk, Isaacman said in an exclusive interview with The Washington Post. The second flight also would be aboard SpaceX’s Dragon spacecraft, the vehicle that NASA now relies on to fly astronauts to the International Space Station.

intercst

Gotta wonder. Are these citizen-flight escapades planned profitable? Or still in the “being fed” stage?

Big numbers being tossed around, but are returns are still negative.

BrerBear asks,

Gotta wonder. Are these citizen-flight escapades planned profitable? Or still in the “being fed” stage?

Big numbers being tossed around, but are returns are still negative.

As I understand it, Isaacman is running these flights as charitable appeals. The first one was for the benefit of St. Judes Hospital in Memphis. And I’m sure Musk is giving Isaacman a discount on the cost of each launch as a SpaceX marketing expense to promote an eventual space tourism business.

So maybe Issacman is paying $100 million to Musk for the launch, gets a $40 million tax deduction from the IRS, and $10 million goes to St. Judes. The $100 million is a charitable fundraising expense.

intercst

1 Like