PTON Q1 2021 (9/30/2021) Results

Honestly I’ve thought the same as jwiest and jille101 for a long time, but the part I was missing is that Peloton is a social tool more than it is an exercise tool. Look at the explosion in internet social gatherings powered by Zoom, Twitch or Discord. Think of Peloton as more of a group dance class or boot camp/CrossFit, or as signing up with a personal trainer, rather than a vanilla gym membership.

Fitness by itself is not something exciting for the majority of the population, but fitness in a group with your friends is something people look forward to every day. What Peloton is doing is accessing those niche communities, the Jazzercisers, the Zumba dancers, the Barre groups, and turning fitness into a brand.

I sometimes wonder if the backlog is done on purpose by the management so they can create the feel of missing out and exclusivity - those are qualitative measures you can’t really get from just a better gadget.

All that said, the community could decide to move on to a different thing overnight. But platforms like zoom and discord has had staying power, so I’m willing to ride along with Peloton until the numbers retreat. Just my two cents

1 Like

Peloton said it hopes to meet normalized order-to-delivery windows for its bikes by the end of the calendar year but that wait times for its Bike+ “will likely be elevated for the next couple of quarters.”

In the earnings call they said that their goal is 2 week delivery time. They said that in the past quarter wait times have been several weeks longer but that they are devoting considerable effort to expand mfg capacity and to improve delivery logistics. Further they have wait times down now to 3 weeks for some products.For bike + they are ramping up their supply chain to meet delivery targets.

They said this will continue for a bit but they expect to reach their delivery goals. Further they answered a question about discouraged buyers. they said nearly all were waiting patiently and they weren’t losing sales to competitors which were in any case few with inferior products.

So I too believe that the market reaction about supply constraints is a bit “knee-jerk”

cheers

arnie

1 Like

Taking some arguments on to show the opposing view. I am by no means an expert in business administration so please do poke holes. It helps me learn!

Point:…looking ONLY at their subscription revenues, it is 156.5m, growing at 130% YoY with 58.5% GM, and with the entire PTON currently valued at $37 billion.

Compare this to say, Datadog, which will post on 11-10 let’s say between 150m-165m revenue representing 57% to 72% YoY growth with a continued GM of 80% and presently valued at $31 billion. (The reason for this revenue growth range is that they usually add 17 million QoQ revenue, plus a generous upside margin to reach +25 million QoQ.)

Wouldn’t you think that the lower margins of PTON subscription revenue (25% lower than DDOG) is more than compensated by its growth rate (double of DDOG at midpoint), and that in fact based on subscription revenue alone, PTON should be valued the same as DDOG?

Reply: Interesting point! You are right (if I did this math right) that the value of each dollar is equivalent when you factor in the different gross margins and growth rates (I didn’t plan that by the way, just came out the same), FOR TODAY…

$1 x 59% = $0.59 gross income x 130% growth = $1.36
$1 x 80% = $0.80 gross income x  70% growth = $1.36

…BUT the market is forward looking and we can’t cherry pick a small part of a business and compare it for overall market valuation modeling. This is where the difference in business model gets real important. PTON only got a 21% benefit from this growth. Next quarter they may get a bit more but not much. The rest of the business is dependent on producing and selling a new expensive thing over and over. Right now they are backlogged because of unexpected demand. That is a limiting factor. On the other hand, DDOG is going to grow its ENTIRE business by that amount again and again. The potential for a purely digital business to scale is worth far more.

Point: Gross margins going up is bad because “…this would be a sign that demand is tailoring off! The subscription count is a lagging indicator of user demand, especially with the current backlog. If anything, as an investor you’d want overall GM to stick as close to the hardware segment as possible for as long as possible.”

Reply: This makes no sense to me at all. We always want GM to get better. It means the business is operating more efficiently (operational leverage is improving, or management is bad and is cutting corners, which is a whole different issue). It has no correlation with demand as they can sign on more subscribers, while still selling greater numbers of hardware, and if the subscribers are more valuable (GM-wise) and outpace hardware, the GM will climb. This was my original point.

I see no reason why “subscriptions are almost guaranteed to follow hardware ownership count”. This implies that the only subscribers of content are those which have also bought equipment, which is not true at Peloton. If GM stuck to the hardware it would be a direct sign that the digital content subscription side is failing to grow, which would be a reason to sell in my opinion. Basically my thesis for investing revolves around them scaling beyond hardware before that business starts to tire out (which may take years, who knows). I feel like this is the company’s mission as well, even if they wouldn’t put it in those terms ;p.

In other words, they SHOULD be improving margins on subscriptions, even when there are fixed overhead costs, because you can sell to more people without paying more for the content (overhead only scales marginally as digital content only gets produced once and is then cheap to deliver over and over compared to physical goods). With hardware, the margins are much harder to improve as the economies of scale on real goods do not scale infinitely like digital goods. Real goods are made of real materials which have a raw material base value that you can’t reduce beyond without coming up with new materials or optimizing techniques. Even after making a million bikes the next one has similar margins. If it were digital that next one would be almost pure profit.

…and that is before you factor in that digital makes money again every month while hardware may last years before an upgrade is made (if it is made). So digital has two ways to reduce margins which compound on each other: selling to more people and selling to the same people longer. Finally digital can expand across distances without any issue (even getting translated if needed). Hardware has shipping and customs issues to solve in each new location which adds localized GM which has to be overcome by local scaling efforts again and again.

9 Likes

Hi Arnie and others,

Do you have any idea if they book the revenue for these orders when the order happens or is it more like a wait list where that could get pushed out? I’m wondering how this backlog may affect future quarter revenue reporting.

I am not an accountant but typically revenue is recognized when it ships, not when it is ordered.

It goes into the backlog bucket from time of order until it ships.

3 Likes

Hi Rafe,

The connected fitness membership (1.3m) at $39 per month is only available to those who purchase a piece of Peloton hardware. The digital only subscribers (510k) are billed $13 a month and thus do not contribute as much margin. Management has said all along that the digital only program is mainly run as marketing to try and upsell into a bike or tread and the more lucrative $39 a month membership.

That’s why I say subscriptions are almost guaranteed to follow hardware ownership count, because the more valuable connected fitness subscription is tied to it. The digital only subscribers in terms of dollars contributed has 1/8 impact of connected fitness members.

You are incorrect about the company’s mission. Peloton is not a pure software play and management does not intend for it to be such. The business model and management’s goal is not to chase only high margin digital subscriptions as they want to create a holistic experience for their customers.

A digital only subscription company would not create the kind of lock in and low churn numbers that Peloton has and would be prone to incredible competition (after all, you’d just be masquerading as a video streaming company with hired fitness personalities). Their model is accessing the sunk cost/commitment psychology in people (if I’m already paying $49 a month for this bike for 39 months, it’d be a waste not to also buy the subscription for $39 a month) and also the social aspects discussed before.

So you see their main source of customer satisfaction and how they try to feed their flywheel is the hardware and the experience associated with complimentary software. There have been many digital only fitness brands/companies that don’t get the same enthusiasm, so contrary to our usual way of thinking hardware is the competitive advantage, or moat if you must use that phrase.

I understand that Saul has taught that selling widgets is riskier than pure subscription business models, and he’s right for all the reasons you listed. And I believe this is why many members on the board have not taken to the company yet, as GM will never be as good as a pure software play like CRWD or DDOG.

But I think in writing off the company because there is a widget/hardware component, members of the board is missing an incredible growth story. It’s a company reminiscent of early NKE/LULU on steroids WITH a software component, brimming with fanatical fans, and priced very cheaply currently at that.

33 Likes

Hi Rafe,

I can answer your question about revenue recognition since accounting is my field. Per their annual financial statements, under note 3, revenue for bikes is recognized when delivered to customer. So even delivery in progress would not be counted as revenue.

Source:
Page 70 of
https://investor.onepeloton.com/static-files/9595d9d3-9e56-4…

13 Likes

Aphilite, Thank you for laying that out so clearly. I got the sense that we would see digital subscriptions get more profitable but after doing a bit more reading I agree that the value proposition seems weaker than I was thinking it would. On Reddit I came across a thread with Peleton subscribers telling people to try other sources of content if looking for non-bike workouts (literally providing other recommendations even though they were subscribers themselves). I was thinking Peleton would leverage some of the interactive and social aspects of their content to stand out but it sounds like that is focused on Connected Fitness members.

I suppose I was projecting what I wanted to see happen rather than what is happening. A dangerous mistake that pops up from time to time in my in investing journey.

I’m still surprised they don’t expect to grow GM more over the next 3 quarters but I’m willing to lower the red flag in lieu of a yellow perhaps.

I’m holding a 10% position right now; the smallest of 7 but still large. I have to admit this feels like it is the most likely to shrink if other opportunities arrive, simply because I get nervous about people being less keen to do all this stuff at home as the pandemic progresses. Which seems to be backed up by the workout frequency trend in the earnings report. We started out doing all sorts of at-home exercise in our home and it has nearly dried up, especially as our building’s gym has become available by reservation (to allow max 4 people at a time. It is quite large so this feels pretty empty). Anyway, so while there is a lot to love here, the combination of personal experience of the pandemic and this being a departure from the kind of company I’ve grown to love at this time has me questioning my initial level of conviction. A decline in sales feels so inevitable to me, even if it is not anytime soon. This is a personal conclusion of course.

1 Like

…BUT the market is forward looking and we can’t cherry pick a small part of a business and compare it for overall market valuation modeling. This is where the difference in business model gets real important. PTON only got a 21% benefit from this growth. Next quarter they may get a bit more but not much. The rest of the business is dependent on producing and selling a new expensive thing over and over. Right now they are backlogged because of unexpected demand. That is a limiting factor. On the other hand, DDOG is going to grow its ENTIRE business by that amount again and again. The potential for a purely digital business to scale is worth far more.

Rafe 1.I am not sure what your 21% benefit alludes to, a business metric? or stock value?

1. Reviewing the PTON lit and earnings call I came away with the impression that mgt was looking to growth in subscription and usage as a major contributor to future revenues. They also talk about bike+ and “tread” equipment and the certified use bike program as further contributors (although people don’t seem in a hurry to sell bikes) So I get the impression that selling an expensive thing repeatedly is not their only source of rev growth. But it may turn out that way.

3.As you point out DDOG is going to grow its entire business over and over. It certainly seems so. But I would take that as a good reason to maybe hold PTON for a few quarters (maybe not)and then sell it all and buy DDOG.

Currently long PTON and very long DDOG.

1. And there is also the question of how long is too long?

cheers

arnie

21% is the reported subscription revenue as a percentage of total revenue.

In case my comments may seem to have a negative tone, keep in mind I do have a healthy longterm stake at the same time. The fact that the backlog orders will be counted in the next report and they still show impressive revenue growth just goes to show how strong growth is for at least the next quarter and likely beyond. I’m happy at this moment in time. I’ll take it quarter by quarter but still hope for long term success. My comments and questions are designed to form a realistic view of what is solid and what deserves to be watched more closely.