Quantum physicist explains the surprising arithmetic of FIRE

Quantum physicist explains the surprising arithmetic of FIRE

intercst

5 Likes

“There is no amount of money you can save that eliminates all risk”. That is the take home of the article, the rest is establishing what risks you are comfortable taking.

2 Likes

What’s a “quantum physicist”? All physicists know quantum mechanics. That’s basic. Pretty much all physicists are “quantum physicists”.

2 Likes

They ALSO got the tshirt and coffee mug.

Rob
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

Someone who got his PhD studying some quantum mechanics topic vs. say Newtonian mechanics?

There’s a guy on youtube who got his Physics PhD in “What’s the best way to teach physics with youtube videos”.

Why isn’t that an Education PhD?

Veritasium - YouTube

intercst

1 Like

You would be hard-pressed to get a PhD in “Newtonian mechanics”. Well, if you’re a civil/structural engineer, but that’s not really a physicist (hence the name “engineer”). If you got a PhD in physics, it almost certainly was in a field that involved QM in some way. Pretty much everything except gravity comes down to QM. Maybe fluid dynamics is an exception.

I suspect they article was trying to sound impressive without the author actually knowing what he was talking about. (I agree that your example sounds more like an Education PhD. Normally a dissertation and defense has to be related to some new physics, not new teaching method.)

Reminds me of a joke about the history of physics:

A long time ago, Aristotle said a lot of things there were wrong. Then Newton and Galleilo sorted things out. Einstein came along and messed everything up again. But now we pretty much have it all sorted out. Except for small things, big things, cold things, hot things, heavy things, dark things, turbulence, and the whole concept of time.

:smiley:

(loves science, constantly amazed at QM, how weird it is and yet how so predictive and powerful)

5 Likes