question

my contract job as an a paid assistant softball coach came to an end on June 30th.

Can i get my W-2 before next January? Can i Request that it be mailed to me?

Thanks in Advance!!!

Can i get my W-2 before next January?

Just curious … even if you could get your W-2 early what are you going to do with it?

1 Like

Can i get my W-2 before next January? Can i Request that it be mailed to me?

The law only requires that W-2s be issued by Jan 31. It does not require that they be issued after Dec 31. Therefore, I would say you would have to ask the employer. Many employers probably won’t, because they have a process set up to mass produce all of the W-2s at once, prior to the deadline, and keeping yours out of the process because it’s already been produced would probably cost them some time and/or money. But if the employer doesn’t have some type of mass production process, they might be willing to issue yours early.

AJ

it was 38 days late this year 2022 for 2021…it was sent to a college email that

i didn’t know i had…and then the only way to get in it was for an IT person to open

it…i quickly was able to save the file which i made a paper copy of to do my taxes…

Oh i still can’t open my email nor do i hope to ever again

The law only requires that W-2s be issued by Jan 31. It does not require that they be issued after Dec 31. Therefore, I would say you would have to ask the employer. Many employers probably won’t, because they have a process set up to mass produce all of the W-2s at once, prior to the deadline, and keeping yours out of the process because it’s already been produced would probably cost them some time and/or money. But if the employer doesn’t have some type of mass production process, they might be willing to issue yours early.

While nothing in aj’s response is wrong, I have a slightly different take on the issue. An employer won’t issue a W-2 early because there is no way to be certain that you won’t be rehired at some point later in the year.

There is however one set of circumstances where the employer is obligated to issue your W-2 early and that is when the employer permanently ceases operations. In that case, it must issue W-2s by the filing deadline of its final 941 quarterly employment tax return.

Ira

4 Likes

it was 38 days late this year 2022 for 2021…it was sent to a college email that

i didn’t know i had…and then the only way to get in it was for an IT person to open

it…i quickly was able to save the file which i made a paper copy of to do my taxes…

Oh i still can’t open my email nor do i hope to ever again

It’s your responsiblity to make sure that any employer (or other source of income) has your current address (whether physical or electronic) as they are only obligated to send documents to the your last known address.

On the other hand, it is always your responsibility to report all your income, whether or not you receive any third[party documentation.

Ira

12 Likes

it was 38 days late this year 2022 for 2021…it was sent to a college email that i didn’t know i had.

You can tell them to only send you a paper copy.
https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/tools-and-samples/hr-…

cgrinder: “My contract job as an a paid assistant softball coach came to an end on June 30th.”

Will it even be a W-2? I read “contract job” and think 1099 independent contractor. Are you an employee?

Regards, JAFO

cgrinder: “My contract job as an a paid assistant softball coach came to an end on June 30th.”

Will it even be a W-2? I read “contract job” and think 1099 independent contractor. Are you an employee?

You raise a good point. The “wmploywe” might treat the position as a 1099 position, however, I believe the correct treatment would be as a W-2 employee.

Ira

A W-2 is issued. i work under a contract with the college…they take out for taxes