R.I.P. Dave Lindley, Musician's Musician And Friend of Laurel Canyon Luminaries

This one hit me in a chemo chair last week. I leaked a tear reading this. I’ve got three of his earliest records on vinyl and the covers are like fine dust from me playing the records so often. This guy was Jackson Browne’s fave musician of all time:

David Lindley, the rare Los Angeles session guitarist to find fame in his own right, both as an eclectic solo artist and as a marquee collaborator on landmark recordings by Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt, Rod Stewart and many others, died on Friday. He was 78.

His death was announced on his website. The announcement did not say where he died or cite a cause, although he was said to have been battling kidney trouble, pneumonia, influenza and other ailments.

With his head-turning mastery of seemingly any instrument with strings, Mr. Lindley became one of the most sought-after sidemen in Los Angeles in the 1970s. Mixing searing slide guitar work with global stylings on instruments from around the world, he brought depth and richness to recordings by luminaries like Bob Dylan, Dolly Parton, Warren Zevon, Ry Cooder and Iggy Pop.

Slice of this lap peddle steel divinity. “Never Knew Her”