Recs Gone Crazy

Over on the Improve the Fool board there is a discussion (endless) about the gaming of the boards’ recommendation system. From the look of this board’s recent rec counts the gamers have reached this board.

What a PITA.

6 Likes

If you get zero recs you will know your message worked…or that no one read it :wink:

1 Like

Over on the Improve the Fool board there is a discussion (endless) about the gaming of the boards’ recommendation system. From the look of this board’s recent rec counts the gamers have reached this board.

I wrote to the Fool Community Manager and he said the Fool is well aware of the problem and is working on it.
Saul

2 Likes

People are…gaming of the boards’ recommendation system.?

Thanks for the heads up.

Wow, what an era,

Bill

Truly bizarre.

Matt

From the look of this board’s recent rec counts the gamers have reached this board.

You mean they’ve finally tired of politics and are trying to make a buck now??

JT

1 Like

What is the purpose of gaming the system?

Andy

1 Like

Yeah, not sure I understand what exactly is meant by gaming the system or why someone would be gaming the system.

Kevin

2 Likes

not sure I understand what exactly is meant by gaming the system or why someone would be gaming the system.

As I understand it, gaming it means they hack into the system and then put down any number of recs they like.

For example on my other board “Fun with French,” the average post gets from zero to 2 recs with an occasional 3 or 4. A few days ago I posted there and there were 3 or 4 recs, and then looked a couple of hours later and it showed 78 recs!!! Somebody apparently thinks it’s funny, but I sure don’t understand why.

Another example, on Monday’s posts on our board, there were 10 or 12 in a row that suddenly showed 50 or 60 recs.

AS OF NOW THEY HAVE BEEN CORRECTED TO THEIR CORRECT NUMBER OF RECS SO THE FOOL GOT ITS ACT TOGETHER! My post with 78 recs on the Fun with French board now shows 13, which makes much more sense, as there probably aren’t anywhere close to 78 people on that board.

Saul

3 Likes

Yeah, not sure I understand what exactly is meant by gaming the system or why someone would be gaming the system.

Kevin

There was an interesting article on hackers last week that asked the same question…why?

The most common answer was …“just because”…they enjoy throwing mischief around…like a game to them. You would think it would be for more sinister intent but apparently, not so.

So they make it harder to see “best of” posts, or for readers who tend to gravitate to higher rec posts…some inconvenience, whatever…its just mischief. Shouldn’t ruin anyone’s day really.

Saul, the only downside to TMF having corrected its hijacked “Recommend” system is that I suddenly find myself no longer an important person, but instead being returned to my previous condition of obscurity!

ZuZu3

9 Likes

About the fix
http://discussion.fool.com/rec-fraud-update-32776066.aspx?result…

3 Likes

Wow, pretty harmless I guess, but to me seems like a lot of time or effort for someone to go thru for some kicks.

I think I am actually envious. If only I had that kind of time on my hands!!