Retail Store Manager Life

Superstar Dollar General store manager proudly displays her “Top 5%” lapel pin, then tik-toks the video life of a store manager.

How a Dollar General Employee Went Viral on TikTok
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/18/business/dollar-general-t…

The result was a six-part critique, “Retail Store Manager Life,” in which Ms. Gundel laid bare the working conditions inside the fast-growing retail chain, with stores that are a common sight in rural areas.

“Me talking out about this is actually kind of bad,” Ms. Gundel said as she looked into her camera. “Technically, I could get into a lot of trouble.”

But she added: “Whatever happens, happens. Something needs to be said, and there needs to be some changes, or they are probably going to end up losing a lot of people.”

Why are the “job creators” so stingy on these productivity awards? A "Top 5%’ lapel pin? Years after I left Exxon, one of my former coworkers told me that he was the proud recipient of the “Golden Apple Award”. I don’t know what they spray painted the apple with, but the cash award was a $25 gift certificate to a semi-defunct shopping mall in Southeast Houston. It’s insulting.

intercst

2 Likes