Retirement Depression

British humor ( spelt humour) is so subtle Americans don’t understand it…it isn’t slapstick, obvious, vulgar, or trite.

You know we do get British TV over here. Monty Python’s Flying Circus, Are You Being Served?..Can’t say I remember those shows as being too high brow.

IP

2 Likes

I have been totally retired for six years. Now I am busier than ever. Hobbies are a good thing and fine to learn new things to keep your brain going.

And if it were not for my da*n arthritis pain at age 86 I would be doing a lot more.

Birgit

3 Likes

You know we do get British TV over here. Monty Python’s Flying Circus, Are You Being Served?..Can’t say I remember those shows as being too high brow.

IP

Benny Hill was pretty classy!

8 Likes

"And the thing I love best…he has retained his dry British sense of humor. So every day there is still something for me to laugh about…

Maryanne "

Laughing at your husband every day may be going a tad far.

Howie52
Not everything said by a husband is intended to be laugh-out-loud funny.
At least not intentionally.

2 Likes

It is interesting how tied to work some people are. In some cases I can see it. Such as one guy who ran his own company and was the boss. In other cases where people are working long hours for someone else and limited vacation time, I have a tough time seeing how anyone could miss those jobs.

My previous manager retired earlier this year and I think he misses the people. He had been in the same job for close to 20 years (in charge of up to 200 technical people) and he enjoyed the social interactions and trying to help his employees (he was a good manager and not like the typical ones you encounter). His wife had retired a few years earlier and they haven’t had financial worries in many years.

There is a guy at a government job who is in his 80s. His wife passed away a while ago and I don’t think he has much of a life outside of work although his daughter also works at the same place and is nearing retirement age.

And some people are just lucky to have their job and hobby the one and the same. I’ve been lucky to find a couple of long time doctors that you don’t see much of anymore in terms of a single doctor practice and nearing 70 but in excellent shape and excellent doctors.

As to the prison guard, I have my doubts it was retirement depression. It isn’t unheard of for a guard to fall for a prisoner and do something stupid. And you have too many women who fall for all kinds of serious felons, write them letters in prison and at times marry them. I think it is more of a person who foolishly fell for someone and got carried away with things. She probably was lonely as well. He probably did a good job of using her.

1 Like

Oh Howie…did I say I laugh AT my husband???
(I think you misunderstood me and now I have to have a nice cup of tea to stop crying…)

1 Like

"Oh Howie…did I say I laugh AT my husband???
(I think you misunderstood me and now I have to have a nice cup of tea to stop crying…) "

Some people claim that I misunderstand much better than the average person.
Others claim that I only misunderstand when there is a potential for a laugh.

Howie52
Misunderstanding to have a cup of tea seems a logical extension - although having a gin or bourbon
would be a suitable substitute in some circumstances.

BTW - being laughed at every day has made people quite a good living.

1 Like

British humor ( spelt humour) is so subtle Americans don’t understand it…it isn’t slapstick, obvious, vulgar, or trite.

IP

Not to forget the ever outrageous Peter Sellers.
How about the “Carry on …” series? (My fave was “Carry on, Nurse”.)

CNC

Funny but I’ve never thought of Monty Python and subtlety in the same ballpark. :wink:

3 Likes

"British humor ( spelt humour) is so subtle Americans don’t understand it…it isn’t slapstick, obvious, vulgar, or trite.

Funny but I’ve never thought of Monty Python and subtlety in the same ballpark. :wink: "

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition - or a cheese shop bereft of cheese - or a pianist in the
buff.
And should you like, people did not expect a Dreaded Batter Pudding Hurler of Bexhill-on-Sea -
or ever really understood the finer meanings of “Ying tong diddle-i po” and “Needle-nardle-nue!”

Howie52
Humor is quite an individual thing. Everyone has the.

Or doesn’t.

1 Like

Benny Hill was pretty classy!

—-
Great now I have Yakkity Sax in my head.

Slapping the old bald guy on the head, ogling women, “Goodnight mother of four! Goodnight father of one!” Very slapstick.

Monty Python is classic too. My children corrupted their entire high school by talking about the Holy Grail. Everyone went out, found a copy and started yelling NI to each other within 2 weeks. Good times.

Don’t forget Mr Bean!

3 Likes

…it isn’t slapstick, obvious, vulgar, or trite.

+++
+++

And YOU never viewed British comic, Benny Hill!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benny_Hill

sunrayman
East Anglia resident in the previous century

1 Like