Retirement Thoughts

Considering moving from TC to that area.

A good friend moved to Calumet a couple of years ago. Bought a lovely historic house there for something like $40K. Loves it. 6’ of snow on the ground is perfectly normal.

I do 3 or 4 races every winter, the Vasa being my main race.

Terrific! Enjoy!

I’ve been down the Colorado on a 7-day raft trip. Was worried it might get boring on the 40 foot motorized “aircraft carrier” raft we were on. Was completely, utterly wrong, and by the end of the 2nd day I was very glad for every foot of that big raft.

We did the lower level of the 14 day trip, hiking in as the first half hiked out and helicoptering out at the end. We chose the non-motorized rafts, with DH and I opting for the 4 person raft as often as possible. On one rapid we hit a wave that was much higher than our boat was long, and we just went up and up and up, with the oarsman screaming “PUNCH THE WAVE!” DH, BIL and I threw our bodies at the front of the boat in an attempt to force the nose through, as the oarsman rowed furiously to keep us straight. Finally we punched through rather than get flipped up into the air. Everyone on the larger boats was expecting to see us flip over, but we made it through. Best trip ever!

Kind of feels like the volatility in todays market, come to think of it.

IP,
suggesting you avoid the chili if they are still stupid enough to serve it, given the limited number of cans you use for toilets. What goes down to the river comes back up

1 Like

I could barely tolerate Tennessee…

But at least you’ve got Dollywood a stone’s throw away.

:wink:

Pete

AJ:

Yes, you’re right with the amounts. We’ve taken advantage of the lower monthly payments to increase our savings over the past ten years. The idea was that when our ten years is up we’ll do one of the following:

• take the new interest rate on the remaining balance;
  • use some of our increased savings (and their investment returns) to pay down the balance, then have the loan recast;
  • just pay the loan off entirely;
  • refi elsewhere for a better rate.

As of now, it looks like we’ll move in 2025-6 or so and we’ll have to figure in that possibility as options are weighted.

I don’t like putting a ton of cash into a home so we’ll look for similar type financing for our next home. But depending on how market returns and interest rates go, we’ll have more than enough cash from the sale of our current home to make a cash offer.

As for RMDs, we’ll both reach 72 in 2026. Per the IRS, “If you reach age 70 ½ in 2020 or later you must take your first RMD by April 1 of the year after you reach 72.” So we’ll be starting our RMD in 2027.

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/retirement-plans-faqs-r…

Congratulations,PSU! You will totally enjoy retirement.

1 Like

I’m in the Phoenix area, but we notice it here, too.

It used to be we could count on a couple of weeks near freezing at night. Usually January. There would be frost warnings for “delicate plants”, and freeze warnings for water pipe protection (though the that was rare, I knew someone whose pipes burst in his attic because they froze). Maybe one or two nights it could even dip below 25F. To us, that was parka weather.

No more. I don’t think we have dipped below freezing in at least three years. At least I don’t recall it. I haven’t had to drag my parka out in the city for several years. A jacket has been enough. My parka now is only for travel to cold places (like Flagstaff).

I did that trip, but on an oar raft. We had a boatman, but sometimes one of the guests would want to row. It was probably 1/3 the size of one of the big ones. I think we had maybe 8 people in ours. Wonderful trip. You really don’t get bored. It’s surprising how quickly the days pass, even though you’re just floating down a river in the middle of a canyon. For me, I had my camera out, so that helped. Always looking for a shot. Plus there are the stops at side canyons.

I only pitched my tent once the entire trip, because it was drizzly. The other nights I slept out in the open.

Lava Falls was “wow”. I think it is one of the top rated rapids in the country. Crystal Falls was only slightly tamer. :slight_smile:

My first TMF screen name was “captain nemo”. I picked up that nickname on the lower-half trip. It was an oar trip (no motors, except for the “supply barge” that motored on ahead to setup camp every day). Utter quiet except for the swishing sounds of the oars, the winds, and the river.

I spent my time at the front of the raft, so when rapids came I got really wet. I hung on and spent a lot of time submerged. Hence: captain nemo. I’m not sure most of the people knew my actual name by the end of that trip because they were all calling me “nemo”.

1poorguy

2 Likes

I don’t like putting a ton of cash into a home so we’ll look for similar type financing for our next home.

As I said, I doubt you will find financing that is similar to your current loan, but I wish you luck.

As for RMDs, we’ll both reach 72 in 2026. Per the IRS, “If you reach age 70 ½ in 2020 or later you must take your first RMD by April 1 of the year after you reach 72.” So we’ll be starting our RMD in 2027.

You don’t seem to have understood my comment, with bolding to emphasize my point: That means that, under current law, unless you want to take 2 years worth of RMDs in 2027, you will need to start RMDs in 2026.

Yes, you can defer your first RMD until April 1 of the year after you reach 72. But that doesn’t absolve you of having to also take your second RMD by Dec 31 of the year you turn 73. That results in each of you having to take 2 RMDs - the one that was deferred from 2026, plus the one that you are required to take for 2027 - both in 2027. Look, that might work to help minimize taxes for some. But for most taxpayers, having to take 2 years of RMDs in a single year results in paying more in taxes.

AJ

19 Likes

BlueGrits, you need to read the article more carefully. Yes, you can delay taking your first RMD until 01 April of the following year but will still need to take your second RMD by 31 December.

1 Like

"Don’t they understand how bad it is down there? "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A place is a place - you adapt and find things you enjoy about the area.
There is always something positive about a place if you choose to look.

Howie52

7 Likes

A place is a place - you adapt and find things you enjoy about the area.

Howie52

I know. I moved on average every 2.2 years for 20 years. After about 2 or 3 weeks in a new place, after you gotten an address, had the utilities turned on, and know where you’ll be doing 90% of your recurring shopping, every place becomes the same. It’s just a place. I was being a nudge vis a vis Florida for a specific audient.

"After about 2 or 3 weeks in a new place, after you gotten an address, had the utilities turned on, and know where you’ll be doing 90% of your recurring shopping, every place becomes the same. It’s just a place. "

Find the libraries and book stores and “just a place” can be a paradise.

Howie52

4 Likes

Congratulations,PSU! You will totally enjoy retirement.

I’m sure I will. Time has flown by. We met here on TMF when our kids were young. Now they’re adults.

PSU

Regarding MYGAs -
I’m not a buyer of insurance investments for obvious reasons (usually bad for the investor) and other than the MYGAs the only other product I’ve had was a term life insurance product years ago. I read up on them and did some reading at Bogleheads which tend to be quite detailed in their critiques of products. I didn’t see any red flags.

Fairly similar to CDs but:

1. State insurance and not FDIC
  2. Don’t plan to withdraw money before term is up (no issue with me)
  3. MYGAs - interest is tax deferred until the term is up or you can roll it all into another MYGA and continue delaying the tax.

It seemed to give me the most fixed income with minimal risk. Right now I believe T-bills have risen to 2.6% for 2 yrs (obviously under current inflation rates).

I think going forward I’m going to diversify further into commodities and selected stocks and maintain a ~15% holding in gold. I’ve yet to figure out if TIPs are worthwhile. Just don’t seem like it to me but I’m sure someone will say they are better than gold (maybe).

I just listened to a link posted on another board with an interview with Dalio, Grantham talking. Rather pessimistic (Grantham has been for a while) but talking about diversifying and planning for more inflation and commodity shortages. Both areas of investments I’m underweight in.

BTW, good luck in retirement PSU.

3 Likes

…every place becomes the same. It’s just a place.

Beg to differ. Having lived there for more than 10 years now, Hawaii is definitely not “just a place”–at least not for me and many others. Nor, for that matter, are any number of non-US places in which to retire.

1 Like

Yes – you’re right about the RMDs having to be paid in the year we reach 72.

You’ve never been to Mississippi, I take it.

14 Likes

Doesn’t Mississippi have beautiful sandy beaches along the Gulf Shore?

I have never been to MS. So can’t comment specifically about much. But I’m a white guy married to an Asian lady. So I’ve pretty much written off the deep South, even if there are “good areas” (which I have no doubt there are). Not going to chance it.

I understand parts of PA, OR, and ID also are problematic. So not just the South.

I suspect the large number of Latinos in AZ increase acceptance. Whites are still the majority, but just barely. Just over 50% are white. Latinos are 36%.

I just wish it wasn’t so bloody hot for about 6 months out of the year. Otherwise, we have great medical care here, decent infrastructure, good restaurants, a Costco business center, and an international airport. :slight_smile:

1 Like