Risk to business of being deemed "woke"

Brother, dial up Citizens Insurance from Florida, the largest Government Sanctioned Entity which the State of Florida bails out after hurricanes, and which recently expanded beyond 1,000,000 policy holders becuse they could not find insurance in the private markets.

The Free market won’t insure your home? See DeSantis and “Vote For Ron to Continue the Con”.

Most of these newly arrived red hats in the Keys would lose their homes were it not for Citizens Insurance GSE; however, they are sweating it now and retirees are asking for work because they can’t afford the recent double-digit rise in Citizens premiums. The couple nearest where I live have both gone back to work, andI’m going to keep an eye on their place while they are hustling at jobs 5-6 days a week.

Here, let me give you a photo from the “salt ponds” near my home. See this road?

When we first moved here 15 years ago it might flood 2-3 times a year on Kings Tide.

Today, this same road floods every month on full moons (we just had that happen) with saltwater, fish fingerlings, sea snakes, etc, and who knows how many times in-between?

“Well yeah, Rock, that road is mud and also sinking from subsidence.”

"Yes, that is correct. And that is why the old US1 near me, repaved as a bike path a few years ago, is flooding as much as this dirt road. The road this dirt road leads to floods at its end where there’s a boat ramp. The boat ramp floods so badly now we find sea weed lines and dead fish metting in the center of the road and past a small military base which just poured a new concret pad because the old one floods to often.

(Boat ramp as seen through my farm truck windshield:)

Mind you, this salt pond is 1 mile from the Gulf and 1 mile from the Atlantic. This road leading to the boatramp is a perfect testament to sea level rise and salt water extrusion through our porous coral rock pedastel upon which our disappearing land exists. This road floods to the center line and will probably this year go over that line on high tides.

You want more?

I have lost count of the special treatment of Ocean Reef Club residents (very top of the Upper Keys) and who lives there. It’s Galt Gulch in the Keys. And DeathSentence sent them this late Christmas gift a few years ago while us lesser mortals suffered downstream in the Keys:

Mind you, this whole damn Key, with its private fire department and private cops, everybody, got the vaccine from the bad ole Federal gubmint sending Ron the drugs to inject into their wealthiest donors. Meanwhile, us lesser mortals downstream in the Keys below were dying in numbers down here which the state many times reported to the CDC. (I wrote about this on the old Pandemic board and also told you the story of 7 old people dying in a Marathon rest home, the State runs down here, cremates the bodies and doesn’t list them as “deaths from COVID” with the CDC. Before the State did this coverup, our county morgue said these 7 died from COVID and that 3 more were expected dead from COVID, but the state took those bodies in refirgerated trucks to the mainland for “disposal.”

This is why I affectionately call us “The Great Banana Republic of Florida - Where Grifters Turn Pro!”

5 Likes

I was also going to ask, but was hesitant … what or who is a tucker?

Not sure - there is some joker named clucker tarlson out there, but other than that…

Pete

3 Likes

Why is this a big deal? I also got my first shot in January in Florida and I am under 60. Florida had TONS of vaccine available early on. In fact, due to the defrosting process, the vaccine sites had to discard quite a few doses at the end of each shift (once they were defrosted they had to be used within 30 minutes or so, and they came in batches of 40 or 80). And THAT is how I got mine early. At the end of each shift, they had 5, 10, 20 doses defrosted, so they literally would grab people off the walking paths or from the parking lots (vaccination sites were parks, and parking lots at malls or other large places) and try to convince them to take the shot. So at the end of a shift in late-Jan, I drove over to the nearest site, hung out for 20 minutes nearby, and at the end when they were looking for people to use the defrosted vaccine, I made myself available.

Meanwhile my friends and relatives in NY were desperately trying to get vaccinated, but NY was still wrangling about which sites to use (and if regular union rules would need to apply, and if the usual graft needed to be spread, etc). My mom lost 3 cousins to covid in NY in April-June, they would have loved some vaccine in Jan/Feb.

1 Like

Well, there was the 1948 Tucker Sedan, built by Preston Tucker. Francis Ford Coppola made a movie about him.

DB2

Tucker Carlson of Faux News. Someone who needs to be ignored. And hopefully thrown off TV.

1 Like

He is the uncle no one wants at Thanksgiving.

…reading some of the responses…I’d deny watching Tucker as well.

2 Likes

From what remains of my marina’s website

Hurricane Zone: Most insurance companies use the following definition:
Where? From (12º 40’ N) 10º 50’ N to 23º 30’ N and from 55º W to 85º W.
When? From July 1 to November 30 inclusive.

After hurricanes Ivan (2004) and Emily (2005) devastated Grenada, insurance companies moved the southern limit of the hurricane zone to 10º 50’ N which excludes Grenada, Tobago, Margarita and the ABC islands from coverage. That leaves the coast of Venezuela and the island of Trinidad as your safe havens to the south. Latitude 23º 30’ North is, of course, the Tropic of Cancer which runs about 20 minutes of a degree north of Havana, Cuba and right through the southern part of Great Exuma in the Bahamas. Longitude 55º West is out in the Atlantic well east of Barbados, about 10 minutes of a degree east of Paramaribo, Suriname. Longitude 85º West is just west of Cuba and runs right through the middle of Nicaragua.

This “box” is where you don’t want to be during the Hurricane Season, from July 1 to November 30.

The Captain

3 Likes