RMDs are rising

People keep complaining the shortfall is because more people are retired, and relatively fewer are working. Another Plan Steve funds SS and Medicare by another means, rather than as a tax on employment. I have in mind a VAT, that would be assessed on imported goods and services, as well as locally produced. That way, revenue would go up with GDP, rather than decline with relatively fewer USians employed at better paying jobs.

Steve

3 Likes

You can make a Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD) every year and it can count as your RMD or a part of your RMD.
" What is a qualified charitable distribution?
Generally, a qualified charitable distribution is an otherwise taxable distribution from an IRA (other than an ongoing SEP or SIMPLE IRA) owned by an individual who is age 70½ or over that is paid directly from the IRA to a qualified charity."
https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/retirement-plans-faqs-regarding-iras-distributions-withdrawals#:~:text=What%20is%20a%20qualified%20charitable,IRA%20to%20a%20qualified%20charity.

JimA

2 Likes

Re: Treasury bonds.

They are backed by the promise to pay. But Congress must come up with the cash to repay them. That money must come from the budget and reduces funds available for everything else. Of course they can issue new bonds for that cash. But how do you ever pay them off? Can’t go on forever.

Congress spent the cash years ago when they issued those bonds.

Yes, there are bonds but funding them will be painful.

Yet if a war came, we’d magically find the money to fund it. When the economy collapses we find the money to bail out the banks, or send checks to everyone, or nationalize the railroads or whatever. There’s plenty of money to buy more ships for the Navy, always, apparently.

I’m thinking that if you tell everyone over 60 years old that you’re cutting their Social Security by 26%, you’ll have a new crop of politicians and they will find a different answer.

5 Likes

The answer is printing more money.

DB2

2 Likes

While that is one answer, another is to raise or eliminate the cap on SS contributions.

3 Likes

@JimA759s @inparadise yes, this is true.

The one-time limit applies to donating the QCD to an annuity that pays benefits to the donor, not to plain QCDs without any payback to the donor.
Wendy

Thanks, I was not aware of the Remainder Trust. Have added it to my future possibilities.

JimA