Rumor: Google Stadia May Be Getting Shut Down

Ouch if true!

https://gamerant.com/rumor-google-stadia-shut-down/

…according to the account holder’s sources, Google may shut down Stadia “by the end of summer.” The source also claims that there’d be no license transfer of any sort, which means that any purchases made on Stadia would effectively be nullified as the service closes down.

1 Like

…according to the account holder’s sources, Google may shut down Stadia “by the end of summer.” The source also claims that there’d be no license transfer of any sort, which means that any purchases made on Stadia would effectively be nullified as the service closes down.

Hmmm. If those details are true they would run into laws about “implied warranty of merchantability.” If you sell anything that is not usable for its intended purpose, and you know that to be the case, the law, as far as I know, identical in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. (I don’t know about Puerto Rico, and other territories.) This is a state law that is part of the Uniform Commercial Code: https://legaldictionary.net/implied-warranty-of-merchantabil…. In this case, Google could be required to refund any funds paid after Google decided to shut the service down.

Proving what the vendor decided and when is the only thing you need to do. The family company had a case where the voltmeters sold to us were iron vane type, and unsuitable for our needs. We needed meters that would show the peak voltage, which is why the order specified rectifier type meters. My father was explaining to the lawyers why iron vane meters were unsuitable for our needs. (Industrial equipment, the meter was marked with a not to exceed voltage.) The original salesman, who was an engineer interrupted. “Everybody knows that…” Our lawyer then said to my father, “If we can continue to use your office, I think we can wrap this up quickly.” Took about 30 minutes. I sort of pitied the poor sales engineer. He put the order in correctly, someone at the manufacturing site messed up trying to save money, and of course he was unaware of how IWM worked. (Our lawyer from a prestigious Philadelphia firm explained it beforehand to anyone who might be required to speak. If not required? Stay quiet.)

Another case many people here may be familiar with is the Pentium FDIV bug. Gorden Moore didn’t get that Philadelphia lawyer briefing either. He stated publically that Intel was aware of the errata and it was fixed in the stepping currently being manufactured. Oops! Someone asked when Intel first knew. “Several months ago.” MITRE had ordered 50 of the new machines. I think they all arrived the preceding week. The next day, we got a call just before 9AM, which would have been 5 AM in California, saying Intel had decided to replace the bad chips at no cost to us or any other Intel customers. If we wanted they would pack up the computers at our site… We arranged to keep one flawed machine. Why? Testing protocols for government systems would require that the test for the FDIV bug be tested. Note that Intel’s lawyers knew they would lose if this went to court, and the amount of damages was unlimited. (Imagine trying to prove to a judge that a computer that couldn’t do arithmetic was fit for its intended purpose.)