San Francisco trash cans

What takes years and costs $20K? A San Francisco trash can
https://apnews.com/article/california-san-francisco-climate-…
What takes four years to make and costs more than $20,000? A trash can in San Francisco. That costly, boxy bin is among six trash cans hitting San Francisco’s streets this summer in the city’s long saga in search of the perfect can. Overflowing trash cans are a common sight in the Northern California city, along with piles of used clothes, shoes, furniture and other items strewn about on sometimes-impassable sidewalks.

City officials hired a Bay Area industrial firm to custom-design the pricey trash can along with two other prototypes that cost taxpayers $19,000 and $11,000 each. This summer, residents have the opportunity to evaluate them along with three off-the-shelf options added to the pilot program after officials faced criticism…

City officials said they intend to pay no more than $3,000 per can.

DB2

3 Likes

Trash cans wouldn’t be overflowing if there were more of them and they were emptied more frequently.

It sounds to me like the solution is a lot of cheap cans plus a lot of (expensive) sanitation workers. The expensive cans won’t empty themselves.

Wendy

6 Likes

In Portugal they are continuously embellishing the trash/recycling bins. The older ones are just plastic containers sitting on the pavement. The newer ones are mostly underground with a smallish good looking top. They are emptied on a regular basis but do overflow on occasion, specially after long weekends and festivities. Often you see a lot of trash/refuse next to the bins. They are ubiquitous! On the street where I live there is one set (plastic, glass, cardboard/paper, and refuse/litter) at each corner. On one of the corners there is also a bin for cooking oil/fat/ and one for hand-me-down clothes. Elsewhere I saw an electronics recycling bin.

There are also a lot of people who take stuff out of the bins and they are not necessarily homeless. One one occasion I saw a fellow with a wan picking up scrap metal. Next to a house that needed refurbishing there was a sign that read “You are welcome to take all the stuff except the stones.” The last time I went by it had been picked clean. Clothes collection bins have trap doors that don’t let people pick out stuff.

It’s a culture that takes time to get used to but it seems to work peacefully. Portugal is one of the PIIGS, the poorest countries in the EU. If Portugal is “poor” I’d hate to see a really poor country. By contrast Portugal is Heaven.

The Captain

4 Likes

City officials hired a Bay Area industrial firm to custom-design the pricey trash can along with two other prototypes that cost taxpayers $19,000 and $11,000 each.

Army Corps of Engineers awarded a pair of contracts worth $788 million to replace 83 miles of fence along the southwest border.Within a year of the initial award, the value of the two contracts had more than tripled, to over $3 billion, even though the length of the fence the companies were building had only grown by 62%, to 135 miles.

$3,000/trash can? How about $20,000,000 to replace a mile-long fence?

$3,000/trash can? Repairing holes (sawed through new segments of border wall) in the Great Border Wall? How about patching holes in the Great Border Wall for $2,600,000 a year?

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/10/27/border-wall-texas-co…

1 Like

The thing to ALWAYS keep in mind is that, it is your money and not their money that they are spending. Same with Congress.

That is why good government is a small government.

YR

3 Likes

Tell that to the Pentagon

1 Like

Tell that to the Pentagon

+++++++++++++++++

Wrong answer.

Tell it to the folks who set the budget for the Pentagon and everyone else…

YR

2 Likes

So naturally this now happens…

https://www.yahoo.com/news/expensive-san-francisco-prototype…

CBS-Sanfrancisco
Expensive San Francisco prototype garbage can already appears trashed

Well, there is more money to be wasted…

YR