Schedule change to savings

I fly United almost always and I am permanent gold due to being a million mile flyer. I can be higher but that hasn’t happened lately. I have 3 trips this year that have had schedule changes, mostly small. However, all had connecting flights one way or the other. I booked them that way because they cost less. In all cases, I was able to call and nicely ask to be put on the nonstops and I was. The most recent was a mileage ticket I had booked for my son to Hawaii in the fall. One issue was because of work, it would really help for him to leave a bit later. The other was kind of wasting most of the day on connection on the West coast. They changed it for me(my miles so I called). Booking it this way originally would have been twice the miles. No matter what, always keep an eye on your reservations because things do change.

And to head a few things off at the pass - there’s really no need to respond that you’re never going to travel or Covid keeps you home or whatever. Just thought this might help someone out.

3 Likes

Was the original flight booked with miles?

I believe you are saying that changing the flight after booking used less miles.

Was the original flight booked with miles?

Yes

I believe you are saying that changing the flight after booking used less miles.

No. I changed him to a nonstop and had I booked that routing to begin with it would have been double the miles I used.

That’s the one thing I have learned during the pandemic WRT flying. If you book the lowest award flight cost, far enough out, there is a decent chance the airline will adjust the itinerary. If they do, you can change to other flights that (previously far more costly) work better for your trip

I was able to change a RT to an open jaws in one case, which was perfect for us on that trip.

That’s the one thing I have learned during the pandemic WRT flying. If you book the lowest award flight cost, far enough out, there is a decent chance the airline will adjust the itinerary. If they do, you can change to other flights that (previously far more costly) work better for your trip

If you book far enough out there will be changes to the flight. Most of the time its less than 15 minutes which doesn’t matter. We refused the change where the airline put my husband and me on different and separate return flights because it was convenient for airline. We were out of the country and didn’t receive notification of the change until we were unable to check-in.

1 Like

If you book far enough out there will be changes to the flight. Most of the time its less than 15 minutes which doesn’t matter.

I can only say what is happening now with United and they allowed changes with even a few minutes change in flights. It’s why I check all reservations at least once a week.

We refused the change where the airline put my husband and me on different and separate return flights because it was convenient for airline. We were out of the country and didn’t receive notification of the change until we were unable to check-in.

This is less likely if both people are on the same reservation. They will usually offer the next seat available going to a destination which may or may not be in the same class of service. If it is lesser, a refund is usually due. Right now, I would be careful refusing a seat without a known replacement - flights are so full, it could be days for the next one.

If coming from Europe or UK(not going from the US), there are very specific benefits and payouts required. Here’s a good reference - https://thepointsguy.com/guide/guide-eu261-flight-compensati…
I went the lazy way when coming from Brussels in 2019 and used flighthelp which looks to be airhelp now. Someone in the boarding line for the new flight mentioned it and it took seconds to file. This can be in addition to whatever the airline has offered. That trip is commemorated with a Starbucks mug from the Brussels airport to use up a meal voucher I didn’t need.

1 Like