SHOP: Dear Shorty (Good luck with that)

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4158921-shopify-will-winner…
RaptorD
Comments (14) |+ Follow

Shame, shame. You could have spoken of SHOP’s aversion to complete transparency in regards to reporting
various aspects of business such as customer retention by categories, and I would have been nodding my
head and singing along to your tune (while remaining long the stock).

But it seems to me your whole article is built on this familiar old template used by many a shorter:

1. State a fact, or insert a graph, that has nothing directly to do with Shopify.
  2. State an opinion that - if true - would cause Shopify growth to wane.
  3. Use lots of “could’s”, “might’s” and “may’s”.
  4. Sneak in a few “would’s” as if anything were fact.
  5. Rinse and repeat 6-8 times.

In spite of your pretty graphs, there is no meat in your argument. I thought it was funny for the first
few sections, but I became irritated well before reaching the end. You think Shopify is using false
advertising? I think you’re raising false consequences to your fantasy opinions.

A few examples:

• Size of Selection and Online Store Design

Store Design? Under this heading I found not one single mention of any design criteria. Could it
possibly be because Shopify has aided clients in building some of the most beautiful and effective
e-Stoeres ever created?

• As larger e-commerce companies continue increasing the scope of the items they are carrying,
relying on strictly carrying long tail items would no longer be the means for achieving a fast,
successful and profitable business as it has been in the past.

Come now. How do you know that larger e-commerce companies will increase the scope of items they are
carrying? Please provide your source. You can’t just throw that out there like it’s fact.

• I believe that drop-shipping is not suitable and will be short-lived as a business model for
small online stores.

This is an argument against the very viability for e-commerce. That fits your “Short Shopify and buy
Walmart” model, but it could be built on assumptions that will not come true in our lifetimes. Did you
not notice that growing numbers of people don’t want to go to Walmart in suburbia to shop? I thought
THAT was the trend, not the reverse. Did I miss something?

• . . . the small online store would receive negative comments, putting their whole operation in
jeopardy.

Yeah, right, and Walmart never had a bad comment made (or a million bad comments?) I live in a different
universe, the one where a majority of Walmart employees make robots running on 4-D cells look like
Mother Theresa. And yet Walmart survives (or is that thrives?) And Shopify is going down? Oh my, I can’t
keep up.

Talk about false advertising. I had to stop there. I don’t have time for reading any more fantasies.
Well, Stephen King, maybe. But Shorters? Uh-uh.

At least your faulty thoughts were presented politely. So thanks for trying and good luck cleaning
your shorts.

ps: Speaking of pretty charts … here’s one you might have missed: http://schrts.co/8tZRrJ

22 Likes