Small companies fed up with college "waste"

Employers Are Fed Up With College 'Waste" – Here’s Who They’re Hiring Instead
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careers/employers-are-fed-up-with-college-waste-here-s-who-they-re-hiring-instead/ar-AA1kj4SW
Recent survey data indicates that employers are placing less value on college degrees, leading to a renewed appreciation for blue-collar job-seekers with skills and experience.

The study, involving 70,000 small businesses, revealed that 67% of employers believe higher education institutions are not graduating students with relevant skills needed in today’s business community…

Furthermore, the survey found that over 40% of employers are less likely to hire a job-seeker with a four-year degree.

DB2

2 Likes

Are we sure this isn’t another “JC” excuse to cut pay rates? If the story is that college graduates, in general, earn higher pay, wouldn’t a “JC” figure that, if he hires people without a degree, he can pay them less?

RS, in the 80s, valued college graduates. They figured if someone had the determination to get through college, they would more likely stay with the company longer too. I was flown down to Fort Worth, on the company’s dime, for a week of extra training/indoctrination that RS was the place to build a career…then RS management got Shiny.

Steve

4 Likes

Not cut rates, but decrease overall expenses. When hire and pay for a mismatch?

“Now we’re seeing colleges attach these degrees to people that literally can’t come out and do some of the life skills that we need,” highlighted Rusk.

DB2

It’s easy to require college degree when there are lots of them out there. Even if job does not require a degree. You hire people who are more mature and have demonstrated some responsibility in completing their degree.

That changes as college becomes more expensive and people doubt its worth the cost.

And manpower shortage makes employers more willing to hire those available. Employers are adapting.

1 Like

High school “graduates” are even worse. That is why “common core” was developed, to make a high school diploma mean something, before it became demonized by the Shinies.

Steve

2 Likes

Yes, there’s a proposal to hold back students who can’t read in 3th grade. Its controversial but passing them on means they can’t keep up and don’t graduate. But holding them back damages their self esteem.

From 2011. I suspect things haven’t gotten better.

DB2

1 Like

I have commented before on Michigan’s “emergency manager” law, where the Gov appoints a bureaucrat that usurps the authority of the local elected officials, and cuts costs with the one goal of avoiding bankruptcy, so the money interests that hold the bonds are paid in full. When “We The People” voted to repeal the “emergency manager” law, because it is a terrible deal for “We The People”, the (L&Ses) in Lansing promptly passed a new EM law, because they don’t like input from “We The People”.

Detroit Public was in the hands of a string of EMs, from 1999 to 2015. I remember the local news reporting on the dilapidated buildings, because most maintenance had been defunded, and classes only having one text book for each three students, so they had to share the books. Because it was all about paying the money interests, not educating the students.

Detroit Public is still not turning out top drawer graduates, but it isn’t as bad as when EMs were running the show.

I’m not sure the link and reporting on the subject here is reliable. “Construction worker turned author, Ken Rusk” has a point of view to sell. And “Analyzing America” is a political twitter site. To begin with, this author, Ken Rusk, is selling the idea that he started out as a ditch digger and developed a multimillion dollar construction company. I know people who have done this, but the vast majority are sons of construction contractors who developed clients throughout the 60’s and 70’s and passed on work to their sons.
If all you have is a hammer and a high school education and you show up to a construction contractor looking for work, you’ll find that 80% of his crew only speak Spanish, and the rest are bilingual. I’m not a contractor, but I’ve been involved in many building projects and remodeling endeavors, I can say that all of the framing crews and cement crews were Mexicans and workers from Central America. All of their Subs had to be bilingual.
I guarantee that a high school grad that goes on to trade school will find better pay and more opportunities, City Colleges offer an electrician trainee program, that will get s high school grad opportunities. Almost all kids without trade school background usually have family in the trades that get them started and jobs out of HS.
Colleges in the United States are loaded with foreign students looking to eventually work in the United States. Over 35% of Registered Nurses today are from the Philippines, and came the the United States specifically to go to college here. If you sit in on a random college class today, you’ll find at least 1/2 of the students speak English as a second language. They’re not going to college for any reason other than to make good money.

2 Likes

I’d like to see data on the 70k small businesses.
If 65k are burger joints… Well…

The article sorta casually mentions “skilled blue collar”.
Were the 70k surveyed businesses mostly carpenter, electrician, plumber, automotive?

This article comes across to me as another hit piece on education in general, and “white collar education” specifically.
It’s also a rehash of the “stupid/lazy/no-account American kids aren’t “good” workers” meme.

MSN wanted/needed some “filler” and bought a story that had already been released from:

{{. The post Employers Are Fed Up With College ‘Waste’ — Here’s Who They’re Hiring Instead appeared first on State of the Union. }}

This quote is at the very bottom of the linked webpage, after some click bait links and other stuff.
Who is State of the Union?
What’s their bias?

:face_with_monocle:
ralph

5 Likes

And, if true, it’s probably just coincidental that college graduates are now disproportionately more female than male… :wink:

Pete

3 Likes

Found the original survey of 900 small businesses in late October; there was some garbling added in translation.

~ 95% felt the economy was on the wrong track.
~ 80% thought there was a recession in the offing.
~ 28% were optimistic about their business.
~ 68% had no plans to change staff levels
~ 87% said inflation would continue to be higher than normal.
~ 68% had seen supplier price increases in the last month
~ 17% anticipated using AI in the next year
~ 67% said colleges weren’t graduating students with relevant skills
~ 10% would be more likely consider a 4yr degree holder, 40% less likely and 40% no difference

DB2

1 Like

People point out that rising interest rates make new projects and some businesses more costly. Lots of data says the economy is slowing and that makes business people more cautious.

People still debate if we will manage a soft landing.

This is one reason why I insisted our kids go to a school where they could do coops and internships. In the sciences, they tend to be well paid, and you graduate with not only a degree, but a resume that offers proof that you can work as an adult with adults. Often a job offer or two also.

Best laid plans don’t always happen, though. Youngest was in school when Covid hit. Lost his second Summer of coop, which would have been year 2 and come with a raise and upgrade in title/responsibilities. Year 3 there were none offered. No job fairs either. With things like virtual science labs, I wondered at the time how long it would take employers to consider the Covid era degrees marginal. This could be part of that.

IP

3 Likes

It could be employers looking to cut payroll costs. It could be good old sexism at work.

New data from the U.S. Department of Education reveals a persisting gender gap in college graduation rates. The data examines students who entered four-year colleges in 2015 seeking a bachelor’s degree to see if they had earned a bachelor’s degree by 2021, six years after entering higher education.

The statistics show that 64.5 percent of all students entering four-year colleges in 2015 seeking a bachelor’s degree had graduated within six years. Some 66.4 percent of all women had earned a degree within six years compared to 60.4 percent of men. The gender gap in graduation rates was slightly higher at private, not-for-profit colleges and universities. At these institutions, women had a graduation rate that was 6.9 percentage points higher than the rate for men.

Women graduated at a higher rate than men in all racial and ethnic groups. The smallest gender gap was among Hawaiian and Pacific Islanders at 3.1 percentage points. The largest gender gap was among African Americans. Black women had a graduation rate that was 10.5 percentage points higher than the rate for Black men.

Reminds me of the Postal exam. The vets got extra points. I can not remember when but the number of points they got dropped.

It was political. The number of vets dropped.

The number of white males not going to college has risen.

1 Like