SNOW / CRWD: Parallels and Differences

Since I am working my way through CRWD and SNOW right now, I wanted to share some interesting parallels (and the different nuances) I found in both CCs.

On Enterprises holding steady:

CRWD:

• […] net new ARR in Q3 was weighted more heavily toward our $1 million-plus customer cohort.
  • But in all the conversations that I’ve had, security remains still top of mind and top of budget for enterprise customers.
  • And I think that enterprise sales cycles increased a bit in Q2, and Q3 was consistent with that level.
  • In Q3, these larger customers continue to prioritize their CrowdStrike investments, but some also had to manage timing issues related to opex budgets and cash flow amid the rapidly evolving macro. To achieve this, some customers signed contracts that have multiphase subscription start dates, which pushes their expense and CrowdStrike’s ARR recognition into future quarters.

SNOW:

• This shows the resiliency of Snowflake as enterprises continue to prioritize data operations.
  • But the U.S. verticals, large enterprises, doing extremely well.
  • In the quarter, we added 28 Global 2000 customers. Product revenue from the Global 2000 outpaced the company as a whole, growing 40% quarter over quarter. Global 2000 customers now represent over 40% of revenue.
  • I would say the only thing that’s really changed this quarter, and it’s a very small piece of our overall revenue is the SMB segment.

Bottom Line:

• 90 % of SNOW’s revenue comes from enterprises. For CRWD I couldn’t find the respective number.
  • Enterprises seem to be much more resilient and less struck by budget cuts and freezes than SMBs.
  • Overall, SNOW seems to have the stronger Enterprise focus, sounds more confident and bullish and is not seeing changes in Enterprise Sales.
  • While CRWD is seeing some challenges in selling to larger customers (budgets, multi-phase subscriptions…), SNOW claims not to see any difference in selling to enterprises.

On SMBs struggling:

CRWD:

• In our smaller, more transactional non-enterprise accounts, we saw customers increasingly delay purchasing decisions, with average days to close lengthening by approximately 11% and net new ARR contribution decreasing $15 million from Q2.
  • I think we’re going to see the SMB space. We’re going to see deals continue to be pushed out.

SNOW:

• I would say the only thing that’s really changed this quarter, and it’s a very small piece of our overall revenue is the SMB segment. You’re really seeing a slowdown in consumption by those customers.
  • On SNOW revenue exposure to SMBs: It’s less than 10% – it’s right around 10%.

Bottom Line:

• Both companies paint a clear picture: SMBs are struggling a lot and are negatively impacting revenue. SNOW is less affected; and they almost don’t seem to care about their 10% SMB exposure as they are busy running their “marathon”.
  • Seems like companies with heavy Enterprise customers focus (SNOW, DDOG) are doing better these times, but exceptions confirm the rule (BILL).

About relevance of the product & outlook

CRWD:

• While the cybersecurity market is not immune to macro pressures, it is a mission-critical technology. The adversaries don’t stop. As detailed in our latest threat-hunting report, OverWatch observed a nearly 50% year-over-year increase in interactive intrusion campaigns.
  • […] we are still in the early innings of CrowdStrike’s growth journey.

SNOW:

• And, you know, we’re now into the people that didn’t sign up early on. And their overriding sentiment is a sense of somewhat a fear of missing out. And they’re looking at us like we can’t be left behind, help us catch up.
  • They literally overriding sentiment is we’re afraid to be left behind. This is how important this is.
  • While we acknowledge the weakening global macro context, we remain resilient in terms of our results. We believe this resilience reflects the importance of data strategy in modern enterprises and institutions.

Bottom Line:

Both businesses are bullish towards their long-term goal. But I cannot help but notice:

CRWD is strongly leaning on general CyberSec tailwinds and increasing threats, while SNOW emphasizes on customers basically chasing them in fear and FOMO to catch up to the early adaptors.

And: they claim to remain resilient in their results. What a statement to make in times like these!

All in all, it is quite hard to make sense of anything in these crazy times. However, from what I’ve digested so far, I feel more confident about SNOW and will stick with it as one of my largest positions, while keeping CRWD just below 10 %* – let’s see what ZS and S earnings will reveal about the CyberSec space and how they compare to CRWD.

Fun Fact: CrowdStrike (George Kurtz and Burt Podbere) mentioned Macro 25-ish times, Marc Scarpelli and Frank Slootman only 5 times! Certainly not a reliable metric, but overall, I liked Snowflakes forward-looking, driven, on point and confident sentiment more than the macro-heavy touch of CRWD’s CC.

Food for thought: I am starting to wonder if consumption-based revenue models, which I generally consider more customer-friendly and flexible, are actually a strength in uncertain times. At least in conjunction with a great and mission-critical product. Because:

• They provide more flexibility to customers (by default, not just through exception deals, discounts etc.)
  • These deals are less scary to sign in times like these (and credit systems even make usage across modules easy and frictionless and reduce very specific commitments)
  • Value is more easily perceived by the customer (pay only what you need)
  • It seems better for a business if customers save on usage, than if they churn completely.

*My investing decision is not based on these thoughts only; these are just some nuggets I wanted to share as they popped out to me going through both scripts pretty much in parallel.

134 Likes

Very interesting observations Lisa. I’d agree with what you have observed. Just going through the ZScaler transcript right now though, interestingly enough 3 differences stand out.

1. They hardly mentioned macro at all except in the Q&A in response to questions about macro

2. They found smaller segments perform better than Enterprise this last quarter

3. ZScaler stressed Fed business and FedRamp in a more significant way

Interestingly also neither Crowdstrike nor Snowflake feel any headwinds from the strong USD and feel any need to report in constant currency FX neutral terms. ZScaler which is far more globally diverse in revenues also didn’t mention this - in part probably because they all charge in USD.

So their like for like maybe a true comparison but in the case of ZScaler with diversified revenues globally I can’t help but think that it may put these USD charging companies at a disadvantage potentially against local currency priced competition.

Ant

35 Likes

Wow, excellent thread; I hadn’t read yet as been super busy trying to catch up with all these reports!!

I echo many of your thoughts. One key difference that we must underscore is how much revenue for these companies is based on NEW customers. Of course new customers are ALWAYS important… but

Snowflake’s revenue in a particular year (90% or so) is from pre-existing customers. Some may be starting to ramp but they signed on way back.

CRWD didn’t provide these numbers but certainly is much more reliant upon new customers in a particular year for revenue growth than Snowflake is.

Another difference, the difference between what a large and small customer pay on SNOW is likely a much larger gap than on CRWD.

FWIW,
ZScaler indicated their split in Q1 is 50:50 and expect 40:60 (40 new customers, 60 UPSELL)

23 Likes

Thank you for your perspectives!

I definitely agree, this quarter it is really hard to make sense of anything or find a pattern, with ZS claiming their smaller customers performing strong…

Also, great point about SNOW now materializing (and benefitting) from their past achievements and deals - that is very important to keep in mind.

For what it’s worth, here are some more extensive notes I got from SNOW after going through their results in more depth:

CC Notes

• New product Snowpark for Python has recently been announced for general availability (previously it was just on preview), and 6-X-ed adoption.
    • The product is heavily used by Data Engineers, Data Scientists and Application Developers who collaborate and build applications, data pipelines etc. on top of the same single copy of your data, while natively supporting everyone’s programming language of choice.
    • With Python added to the supported languages, the demand is very high, since Python is the main programming language used in Data Science and one of the most popular ones in general.
    • Sathish Balakrishnan, Director of Data Engineering, NerdWallet: “Snowflake’s continued investments in Python allow us the flexibility to code in our programming language of choice, and accelerate the speed of innovation for our end users.
  • Push on the Streamlit integration, which will allow developers to create applications with Python using their data in Snowflake, deploy and run these applications on Snowflake’s secure and governed platform, and share their applications with business teams to further unlock the value of data and ML models. (see announcement)
    • Earlier next year, we will offer native Streamlit integration in private preview. With Streamlit, we’re helping developers and data engineers build applications in Snowflake. Since acquisition, the Streamlit community has grown more than 60% and now has approximately 70,000 developers. (from CC)
    • Sai Ravuru, GM Data Science & Analytics, JetBlue. “With Snowflake’s Streamlit integration, we can go from data to ML-insights all within the Snowflake ecosystem, where our data is already present, making it easier and more secure for us to create impactful applications to further mitigate the negative impact of flight disruptions, provide more predictability to our operational planning teams, and more customer personalization to give our customers the best possible experience.
  • Further improvements and innovations in pipeline streaming, e.g. in the area of monitoring, logging.
  • Additionally, they continuously push for performance and cost optimizations, which benefit Snowflake and customers alike (since SNOW passes them on to customers).
  • Strong adoption of their data clean room technology (especially in their advertising vertical, but increasingly in other industries, too).
    • What is a data clean room? A data clean room provides aggregated and anonymized user information to protect user privacy, while providing advertisers with non-personally identifiable information to target a specific demographic and for audience measurement.
  • Very nice focus on their currently most successful verticals, financial industry, healthcare, media and retail, e.g. by providing specific data cloud products for each vertical (this strategy is also mirrored by their marketing efforts). Strong customer centricity is one of SNOW’s superpowers.
    • Snowflake continues to deepen and strengthen its industry orientation. We expect to understand our customer challenges, solve their problems, and speak their language. Leading industries for Snowflake are financial services; advertising, media and entertainment; followed by retail and consumer packaged goods, technology, and healthcare and life sciences.
  • Strategy Data Marketplace listings: Our strategy is a global data sharing network, coupled with unlimited workload enablement. Listing were 1.702, up from 1.539 and growing 84% YoY
  • 22% of their customers have at least 1 stable edge, meaning they regularly share data with another business. This, again, creates network effects.
  • Pure confidence: While we acknowledge the weakening global macro context, we remain resilient in terms of our results. We believe this resilience reflects the importance of data strategy in modern enterprises and institutions.
  • Strong enterprise focus:
    • With a focus on the acquisition and growth of the largest enterprises in the world, we added 28 Global 2000 customers in the quarter, our largest quarterly addition in the last five periods.
    • This shows the resiliency of Snowflake as enterprises continue to prioritize data operations.
    • It’s the quality of new customers. We tend to focus very much on the largest enterprises. And Global 2000 is one of the metrics that we give, but it’s not just Global 2000. It’s large public sector clients, as well as a lot of the big private companies in the world as well, too.
  • Really strong network effects through:
    • But definitely, we are seeing the network effect. And it’s really the data sharing is one of the things that – things that is driving that.
    • Powered b program: