Some different thoughts on UBNT

Well I feel the obligation to share what I did with my UBNT stock. I sold. Yeap that is right, I let that loud mouth stock manipulator Left, scare me out of my stock. Why you ask?

Let me back up for a moment. I personally own five companies, some sole owner and some of which are partnerships. I feel very fortunate to be a business owner in America. My companies all make me money most years. However if I wanted to sell any one of them tomorrow it would be near impossible to get even close to fair value.

That is why I love stocks. That is why I feel Saul is so successful with his stock performance. The ability to get in and out for whatever reason you have (Saul has a knack for sell a position like no one I have ever seen). So when something comes up with a stock I own like a lawsuit, temporary problem like food poisoning (CMG) or a speculative short trader accusations I can sell. When these same issues come up with my businesses I own…I do not get good sleep, I think about them all the time, it effects my happiness…but unfortunately that part of owning a business.

Many here would say that is what stock ownership is; owning a business. Yeap your right, accept the thing I love about stock ownership is I can sell at any time for whatever reason and somewhat of a fair value. Try doing that with a business you personally own…not going to happen.

When CMG had their food poisoning issue, everyone was like temporary set back, no big deal. Then they had a second incident, I was like “peace out” and sold quickly. That the advantage of owning stock versus owning a chipotle franchise. After that the stock spiraled downward, I believe it still has not recovered (I do not follow it any more). I learned the hard way about trying to catch a falling knife early in my investing career with FMD (a motel fool hidden gems pick), I lost 1/3 of my retirement savings at age 30. Thankfully I had another third in NFLX which gains me 2500% increase over the next ten years which more than made up for it.

Anyways Mr. Left probably is full of crap, but honestly I do not care, I sold the stock like a hot potato (which by the way I came out ~+1%-break even after being invested a few months). I can always buy in down the road after this is cleared up. I probably will not however as some of the issues he raised has increased my awareness and I am uncomfortable enough with them that I feel I can put my money somewhere else safer (no current investment plan as this moment).

Please do not perceive this as I am right and others are wrong. I just have not seen anyone share this view point. I think its important to point out that one of the advantages of own stock versus owning the company is the ability to not have to endure B.S. when it arises. I wish everyone invested in UBNT plenty of success!

30 Likes

Anyways Mr. Left probably is full of crap, but honestly I do not care, I sold the stock like a hot potato (which by the way I came out ~+1%-break even after being invested a few months).

GOOD JOB!

I took a lesson from Saul on this as well. Shortly after I bought Atwood Oceanics I read something on the boards from a man in the industry (TMFDoodleburger). He that said day rates were falling and that this would not be good for Atwood, Seadrill, etc… I sold and figured if I was wrong I could always buy back later.

The stock plummeted 80%, but I got out with a 4% profit.

Thanks Saul and TMFDoodleburger.

Jeb
Explorer Supernaut
You can see all my holdings here: http://my.fool.com/profile/TMFJebbo/info.aspx

2 Likes

Same here.

I have owned AT&T for years, planned on retiring and living off the dividends. When Harvey hit the infrastructure hard and it appeared Irma was going to trash the system, (AT&T is the incumbent on most of Eastern Florida) I remembered how much debt was on the balance sheet and that profits barely cover dividends.

Gone.

Same the LGIH. Took a look at the labor shortages, figured how much more was going to be needed, saw labor, material and lots are the three things limiting growth of LGIH. Took a look at the debt. . . Gone.

Saul doesn’t agree with me, don’t care. Saul taught me you can sell and buy back, the price you sold and the price you bought are irrelevant to the buy/sell decision. The only factor is it a good decision.

Now if I would just quite being lazy and get the due diligence done to buy more stocks.

Cheers
Qazulight

6 Likes

I understand your pain. I on the other hand own UBNT and will keep it. The guy comes across as a jerk, and a manipulator. Politicians and stock manipulators have much in common. And the best way to counter all of them is buy stocks you believe in the company, and not let some jerk push you around.

1 Like

Saul doesn’t agree with me, don’t care. Saul taught me you can sell and buy back, the price you sold and the price you bought are irrelevant to the buy/sell decision. The only factor is, is it a good decision?

Hi Qazulight, That’s the message, exactly!
Saul

7 Likes