some 'maybe' picks

Perhaps it is time to declare victory and go home. I ran a screener that I dubbed “Saul2” that netted 64 companies. I did a quick triage and then took a still-superficial look at about 50 and then some 10-k reviews (again a shallow look). Ended up with five “maybe’s” and bought tiny, tiny positions at market opening on Tuesday.
Wednesday’s results:
CNC +1.42%
LAD +3.04%
ATRO +2.3%
ECPG +2.12%
DHIL +1.21%

A strong market up day helps, huh? Time to calculate a CAGR?
But, seriously, even though these may turn out to be dogs, at least I have begun the process of search and select and analyze. Thanks to Saul for the method, to Neil for encouraging analysis, and to Ears for the value creation/destruction help.

Much digging remains,

KC

6 Likes

I have positions in ATRO (significant, held for a number of years), CNC (medium/small), DHIL (small) and LAD (very small). So I could shed some light on these companies especially the first two if there is interest. I do not know ECPG.

sw

7 Likes

Sw,
Its always great to hear about stocks. Please give your pitch for the companies.

Andy

I have positions in ATRO (significant, held for a number of years), CNC (medium/small), DHIL (small) and LAD (very small). So I could shed some light on these companies especially the first two if there is interest. I do not know ECPG.

I’d love to hear about them too.
Saul

I am pretty busy today with some other positions (e.g. SYNT subject to a possible take-over) and some other activities, but may post some thoughts in next couple of days.

sw

2 Likes

I am currently a Lithia Motors (LAD) shareholder. Here’s my LAD post here on 4/9/2015, that went no where with only one response.
http://discussion.fool.com/lithia-motors-lad-31705862.aspx

Saul: I’d love to hear about them too.

Glad I checked before posting my response that was going to ask Saul if posts on companies outside of his portfolio are really welcomed here. It appears to me that Saul’s portfolio are almost all TMF pay-site picks, with a few exceptions. Since I am not a TMF pay-site subscriber, I have no idea if the companies that I have introduced here (LAD, QRVO, TRN and GRUB) are TMF pay-site picks and, if not, were going against the grain of preferred discussions here.

Regards,
Ray

4 Likes

From my perception, any relationship between stocks discussed here and being a TMF pick is just two people thinking the same way, not any dependency.

1 Like

I would like to see your thoughts on those Cos too. Look forward to your posts.

Zangwei

Glad I checked before posting my response that was going to ask Saul if posts on companies outside of his portfolio are really welcomed here. It appears to me that Saul’s portfolio are almost all TMF pay-site picks, with a few exceptions. Since I am not a TMF pay-site subscriber, I have no idea if the companies that I have introduced here (LAD, QRVO, TRN and GRUB) are TMF pay-site picks and, if not, were going against the grain of preferred discussions here.

Ray, we are always looking for good stocks here. This board isn’t affiliated with any paid service. Don’t hesitate to discuss any good stock.
Saul

1 Like

Saul,

I’d be interested which Fool service has given you the most picks in your portfolio.

Thanks,
h

SW,
You must have done very well with those with any purchase over the last 1 or 2 years. Would be interested to know how you discovered them, what prompted the buy. Were they ‘story’ companies or was it stock price momentum or business performance? The performance a year ago shown on the annuals would not have led me to buy, but perhaps the quarterlies would have provided good signals mid year.

KC

For those with nerves of steel, high risk tolerance and a China-investing willingness, look at NOAH. This is wealth management firm. 3-yr revenue CAGR 69%, earnings 78%, 1yrPEG 0.32.
Company 10 years old. From IBD:

"Noah Holdings’ (NYSE:NOAH) first-quarter earnings grew 18.8% to 38 cents a share, as revenue jumped 42.9% to $71.8 million, year over year.

The China-based firm’s wealth management unit saw revenue climb 41.3% to $54.8 million. The total number of registered clients as of March 31 grew 34.9% to 74,895 from last year. Active clients leapt 61.9% to 5,275. The aggregate value of the company’s wealth management products jumped 64.2% to $3.9 billion.

On the asset management side, revenue grew 40.5% to $15.5 million. Noah’s total assets under management surged 53.9% to $9.4 billion.

In its Internet finance business, the company brought in $1.5 million in revenue, a 249.3% spike from the year before"

Read More At Investor’s Business Daily: http://news.investors.com/business/051815-753115-noah-holdin…
Follow us: @IBDinvestors on Twitter | InvestorsBusinessDaily on Facebook

KC -

I use Value Line as my primary research tool. I scan many stocks every week looking for undervaluation. In most cases I restrict my larger investments to certain industry groups where I have found it is much more likely for companies to have long term moats. I avoid most technology areas including semi-conductors, telecom, and many internet based companies. I prefer smaller companies that have a proven business niche as demonstrated by financials over several years. Strong preference for companies with strong balance sheets, also like companies with high NPM and ROE, strong management and insider ownership. You can find more about my approach on my business website. You could also see some of my past articles on seekingalpha. I have not written that much lately because I have not been finding many great bargains.

In general I start first with the demonstrated financial record and demonstrated moat, then dig in further with much more research.

The only MF service I subscribe to is Hidden Gems. I have found some companies through that service (e.g. PRAA and the Mexican airports, PAC and ASR) through that service. But most of my investments have come from systematic screening of Value Line (Regular and small cap editions).

I will try to put together some comments on Astronics in the next few days and will follow-up with some comments on Centene.

sw

4 Likes

I will try to put together some comments on Astronics in the next few days

Astronics was the randomly chosen company for our weekly analysis club last week. Would love to hear your comments over there too!

http://discussion.fool.com/weekly-analysis-club-121263.aspx?mid=…

Neil