spreadsheet?

Hi Saul,

When analyzing a company do you use any type of spreadsheet? I would expect you have one you have created for yourself so you can plug in numbers straight from the 10K and then the calculations for Q-Over-Q and Year-Over-Year growth are done automatically.

If so, could you share that with us?

Jeb

When analyzing a company do you use any type of spreadsheet? I would expect you have one you have created for yourself so you can plug in numbers straight from the 10K and then the calculations for Q-Over-Q and Year-Over-Year growth are done automatically.

Sorry Jeb, I’m not tech-savvy enough for that. No spreadsheet. It would be nice, but probably not practical as each company presents intangibles that you couldn’t get on a spreadsheet.

Saul

jeb

i subscribe to 10k wizard and they have spreadsheets on almost everything but its around $1300 per year

barring that if you subscribe to Edgar and i think it’s pretty cheap you can get excel spreadsheets of all financial docs

from those you simply copy and paste the income statement cash flow and balance sheet on separate pages on a blank worksheet. Saves the trouble of entering all the data by hand. It gets tricky if you want more than three years. If your lucky they are all spaced the same and you can cut and paste in more years. Some companies will even give 5 years of selected data that you can use for a few ratios and metrics.

from there you can run any metrics your heart desires–

margins, growth DSO, DIO free cash flow ROE, ROA, ROIC, debt ratios–the list is endless

1 Like

Sorry Jeb, I’m not tech-savvy enough for that. No spreadsheet. It would be nice, but probably not practical as each company presents intangibles that you couldn’t get on a spreadsheet.

Saul

from there you can run any metrics your heart desires–

margins, growth DSO, DIO free cash flow ROE, ROA, ROIC, debt ratios–the list is endless

MonsterFluff

Thanks to you both. I would not be looking for a huge number of ratios, but just the essentials…gross income…net income…inventory…and a few more. Saul, I believe you said that you can look at a 10K for about 10 minutes and get the information you need to know whether to buy more, hold a bit longer, or sell. Having a codified approach to what you can do largely in your head would be a step in the right direction…for me at least!

And btw, this board is getting so busy it’s getting tough to read everything! :wink:

Jeb

2 Likes

Jeb,

Apologies, piling on to the discussion.

This is what I 'm doing, based of some early posts by Saul. Thank you Saul !!! For companies I need to follow closely (ones that don’t get detailed coverage from TMF analysts or non-TMF stocks), I have started maintaining a spreadsheet that currently goes back 8 quarters. I track the usual metrics : revenue, net income, non-GAAP net income, eps, adjusted eps etc. I also track closing share price at the end of each quarter. I track additional metrics depending on the company. For example, for a little company called RPXC I track things like # of clients, subscription versus non-subscription revenue etc.

I then use the spreadsheet to track historical PE, PS and other metrics. I also graph revenue and eps as a function of time.

Entering the data points in manual work but I figure that’s useful as it forces me to look at the financial statements. Usually, I am entering data after going through the transcripts.

If you like, I can share couple Google spreadsheets with you. If the process is useful we can share spreadsheets and reduce the amount of manual effort.

Drop me an email if you want a copy of the google sheet.

Anirban.

1 Like

A few ways I do this:

1. this site is pretty sweet, I bookmarked it. It basically does what you guys are talking about by typing in the ticker:

http://ogres-crypt.com/php/chart-mscf.php?s=amba

1. look for rpanton’s posts. He has them for many these talked about here and the MF function actually finds them in this case. Bookmark them

2. if TomE writes a page post, or now onecandream, I bookmark that.

3. Randy’s smf add-in for excel can pull almost anything you want using Excel and it is free, but takes some learning. the learning is applicable to tons of other sheets you may build. This may be the same effect as Anirban’s sheet, not sure.

1 Like

I have found Morningstar quite helpful for information in table for or by graph.

For example, check out Amba here:

http://financials.morningstar.com/income-statement/is.html?t…

You can see the data by graph, table, etc as well along numerous inputs from valuation metrics, historical PE, PS, etc.

For those with little time…it’s pretty easy and exportable.

3 Likes

I have found Morningstar quite helpful for information in table for or by graph.

One issue I have with free data sources is that these exclusively provide GAAP metrics. I don’t TMFRP provides non-GAAP data points.

For many of the companies we talk about here (the early stage fast growers), we need to look at non-GAAP numbers. For the non-GAAP numbers, I would need to look at the earnings release doc, understand them, and then use them. Unfortunately, I don’t think this method of looking into earnings, reading calls etc isn’t very scalable. I can do them for about 10 to 15 odd companies. So I 'm only doing this for companies where I need to do this - i.e., for those where there is little or no coverage on the boards. Many RB & SA stocks have great coverage. All IV and MFO recommendations have superb coverage.

Anirban

1 Like

Hi Gatorswamp,

1) this site is pretty sweet, I bookmarked it. It basically does what you guys are talking about by typing in the ticker:

http://ogres-crypt.com/php/chart-mscf.php?s=amba

This site didn’t open for me. Maybe it is due to my chrome browser?
Mykie

Strange. Try this, the ticker is just different.
It makes all the graphs peolple are talking about.

http://ogres-crypt.com/php/chart-mscf.php?s=JNJ

I am using Chrome, so this should work.

Hi Gatorswamp,

Thanks, that works.

I am using Chrome, so this should work.

Mykie