Square warning

Besides Tencent and AliBaba, my one investment tip from this trip although I’m not sure how to play it is Diabetes. Obesity levels in China now seem to match or exceed the US. Every child I saw over the age of 3-5 was overweight or obese and that was the case out in Tier 4 cities and countryside in Anhui as well as in Shanghai thanks to the Chinese relationship with food that borders on addiction, a convenience culture that makes America look like a Mormon settlement and past times that involve online gaming and online video streaming and zero energy expenditure. (Denny if you still hold them then Novo might still have far to go!)

Ant,

This a wonderful post. Off topic but wonderful. It would be nice it you could repost it on METAR, it would help the IQ curve.

I have just finished the “Obesity Code” by doctor Fung and attended “Brains of Trauma” by Dr. Boz. From what I understand, obesity is a hormonal disorder brought on mostly by eating too often and eating to little fat and too many carbs. Contributing factors or poor sleep, high stress and drugs.

The cure is lower carbs, more sleep, less stress and intermittent fasting.

Buy pork.

Cheers
Qazulight

You pay with your face

These few words really caught my attention, and along with Saul’s recent write up, have caused me to exit my small Square position. I am not sure of the success, but Amazon also introduced a grocery store in the past two years where you simply grab what you want off the shelf, skip the checkout lines and walk out of the store. From the article:

The stores use hundreds of cameras and sensors to account for what people are buying. People simply need to use their Amazon Go app to enter the store, pick up what they need, and leave. The items get charged to their Amazon account automatically as they’re exiting. The process removes the need for human cashiers and also reduces customer wait time.

Both of these technologies have the potential to be game changers, and major roadblocks for Square.

Brandon

1 Like

Ugh formatting…

You pay with your face

These few words really caught my attention, and along with Saul’s recent write up, have caused me to exit my small Square position. I am not sure of the success, but Amazon also introduced a grocery store in the past two years where you simply grab what you want off the shelf, skip the checkout lines and walk out of the store. From the article:

The stores use hundreds of cameras and sensors to account for what people are buying. People simply need to use their Amazon Go app to enter the store, pick up what they need, and leave. The items get charged to their Amazon account automatically as they’re exiting. The process removes the need for human cashiers and also reduces customer wait time.

Both of these technologies have the potential to be game changers, and major roadblocks for Square.

3 Likes

I exited as well based on these concerns. It’s not just these concerns but my overall impression that other technologies will be a growing competitive threat to Square. I’m not confident in their lasting advantage.

Square’s business is still growing well though and I will keep it on my watch list.

This post is off topic so please don’t reply here but a few of you asked me off board to share my thoughts and reflections on China.

You can find the follow up over here on the METAR board as suggested by Qazulight:-

https://discussion.fool.com/on-china-semi-x-post-from-saul39s-bo…

Cheers
Ant

13 Likes