States with the best tax regimes for the wealthy

I doubt it. Part of the cause of that crash was overbuilding leading into it. While we have recovered from the trough that we were in, we’re still only about at the long term average New Privately-Owned Housing Units Completed: Total Units (COMPUTSA) | FRED | St. Louis Fed (stlouisfed.org)

Considering that the US population grew from about 195MM to 340MM during that timeframe, we are still below the housing completions needed to drive oversupply. Unless we get to an oversupply scenario, prices are unlikely to drop significantly overall, although some markets may experience drops. A more likely scenario is that prices will remain fairly flat overall, with exceptions (both up and down) occurring in local markets.

AJ

2 Likes

I was thinking more of the single family residential space.

Wall Street Investors are liquidating Houses at Big Discounts (youtube.com)

intercst

1 Like

That youtuber has been predicting real estate crashes ever since he started his channel in 2020 Avoid Buying Real Estate in these Cities (youtube.com) although at that time, he was recommending buying in some of the very cities he’s claiming are crashing today, like Austin, Phoenix, Jacksonville and Orlando. I guess that even a stopped clock is right twice a day. He refuses to acknowledge that the ‘huge increases in inventory’ that he’s showing in places like Austin Housing Inventory: Active Listing Count in Austin-Round Rock, TX (CBSA) (ACTLISCOU12420) | FRED | St. Louis Fed (stlouisfed.org) and Phoenix Housing Inventory: Active Listing Count in Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ (CBSA) (ACTLISCOU38060) | FRED | St. Louis Fed (stlouisfed.org) are just returns to what were considered ‘healthy’ levels pre-pandemic, not an oversupply.

AJ

2 Likes

The interesting part is the purchase price of the homes making up the increased inventory. Are they recent Wall Street owned homes now selling at a loss?

intercst

2 Likes

I don’t understand this statement. Or I don’t understand which timeframe we are discussing. I thought we were discussing 2008 to now, or maybe 2010 to now. The US population was over 300M in 2008.

The timeframe for the long-term average of new construction on the graph is from 1968 to 2023.

AJ

2 Likes

Maybe, if Wall Street bought in 2021 or 2022. For instance, here’s the median sales price in Austin for 5 years from Redfin Austin Housing Market: House Prices & Trends | Redfin

And here’s the same graph for Phoenix:

So, in most cases, it looks like Wall Street would be, at worst, breaking even, unless they bought at the very tippy top. I seem to remember that much of the Wall Street buying took place in or before 2021, and they had started to back off in 2022, so it’s not clear to me that they would be selling at a loss now. I’m sure that you can find individual homes where, for instance, the renter trashed the place, and it’s being sold at a loss. But overall, it doesn’t look like it.

AJ

1 Like