SWKS: Samsung lowered S6 forecast

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/samsung-profit-misses-estimate…

"“S6 didn’t sell as well as the market had hoped for, partly because of continued outperforming of iPhones combined with the supply constraint,” said Greg Roh, a Seoul-based analyst at HMC Investment Securities Co. “Sales sharply missed the market expectation, which implies that overall technology industry demand for smartphones, TVs and PCs is weakening.””

"Samsung Securities Co. last month lowered its shipment estimate for S6 models to 45 million units this year from 50 million previously. Total smartphone shipments probably were about 78 million units in the second quarter, down from 85 million units sold in the previous quarter, it said in a June 24 report.

“The initial response to S6 smartphones wasn’t all that bad, but Samsung failed to fully address the market demand,” analysts at KB Investment & Securities Co. said in a July 3 report. Samsung underestimated demand for the Edge model, resulting in a “marketing misstep,” he said."

2 Likes

This is one of the great things about Skyworks IMHO: since they’re in most major phones, it doesn’t really matter to them which one wins. If lost S6 sales turn into iPhone sales instead, SWKS still benefits.

Neil
Long SWKS, AAPL

4 Likes

If lost S6 sales turn into iPhone sales instead, SWKS still benefits.

Neil, I see it the same way. It doesn’t matter. They could buy iPhones or lower end phones. What matters is the overall smartphones sold and the number of people upgrading to next generation phones (3G to 4G to LTE to 5G). I expect another solid earnings report in a couple of weeks…

Chris

4 Likes

Samsung made a mistake not allowing the S6 to use the micro SD card. That is why I own a S5. I will be purchasing another andriod.

Wayne

Samsung made a mistake not allowing the S6 to use the micro SD card.

I initially thought so, too… that and the non-removable battery. I came from an S3 to an S6 and don’t regret it at all. Battery life on the S6 is, frankly, amazing (about 2x the S3 using the same apps/workload), and I doubt I’ll ever run out of space on the 64GB model I bought. There’s a 128GB model if you think you will.

Even with the 16GB internal + 16GB external on my S3, I never removed the micro SD card once in the 2.5+ years I had it. Not even once.

It remains to be seen what happens a year from now when the battery life isn’t as good (maybe??), but for now I’m amazed. The S6 goes from dead to 40% in less than 15 minutes, and that 40% is usually enough to get through most of an entire day.