SWKS

Any idea what’s up with the SWKS slippage? Just normal volatility or is there a short attack?

Any idea what’s up with the SWKS slippage? Just normal volatility or is there a short attack?

I haven’t seen any news, so I’d guess just volatility. With the markets jittery over Greece (why?), it wouldn’t surprise me if some people are taking gains** and building up some cash: SWKS has been a huge winner over the past year. I have no idea, of course, but that’s a guess.

Incidentally, on the topic of news (and being aware of short attacks), I recommend creating an account at SeekingAlpha and adding companies to your “portfolio” there to get news alerts. If you have a mobile device, they also have an app (for iOS, at least; I assume Android too) so you can get notifications right on your phone. A lot of short attacks seem to get published there, so it’s a pretty easy way to stay aware of them.

Neil
Long SWKS

** I actually wanted a different phrase than “taking gains” so I quickly googled it looking for the synonym I really wanted, but just couldn’t think of, and came across this gem of an article on Forbes from November, 2009 entitled “Don’t Be A Sucker, Take Your Gains”. Here’s the money quote:

The easy money has been made in both equities and fixed income. From the low point in March, it seems you can’t pick an asset class that hasn’t gained something in the area of 60%.

Oops. The S&P 500 has nearly doubled since that article was published. So speaking of news, every time you feel like you need to take action based on some random article you read or talking head you hear, just remind yourself of where you’d be today if you had listened to that guy back in November, 2009.

7 Likes

Chip stocks are getting hammered today. SWKS main competitors are Avago (AVGO), NXP Semiconductors (NXPI), and Qorvo (QRVO…I’d put them all on your watch list because they tend to move in unison. If you see SWKS down or anyone of the stocks I just listed, there’s a good percentage the others in their sector are down as well.

Micron missed on earnings and provided weak guidance for next quarter so perhaps that’s why semis are down.

http://seekingalpha.com/news/2603005-chip-stocks-sell-off-th…

Sweetadeline

6 Likes

Neil

Oops. The S&P 500 has nearly doubled since that article was published. So speaking of news, every time you feel like you need to take action based on some random article you read or talking head you hear, just remind yourself of where you’d be today if you had listened to that guy back in November, 2009.

My sentiments exactly …

An old farmer told me something along the same lines many years ago.
It was “you will not bale any hay listening to the weatherman cause you will always wait til later.”

I have recounted that statenment or self-motivator many times in decisions.

Mark

3 Likes

Hey Mark !

“you will not bale any hay listening to the weatherman cause you will always wait til later.”

Ain’t that the truth … and I bale a lot of hay here in Illinois. If there’s a 30% chance of rain, most guys won’t mow because, “it’s gonna rain!” Only now, I’ve been pushing a new way to look at it:

If there’s a 30% chance that it will rain, there’s a 70% chance that it won’t. Now, if you were a betting person, which odds would you take? The 30% or the 70% … ??? Go mow hay!!

Rich (haywool)

7 Likes

Of course, lately in Illinois, there may be no rain in the sky at the moment, but the field may be so wet that you can’t take any equipment out there anyway!

I don’t remember a moment in Illinois where it hasn’t rained this spring/summer.

Jason
Short ‘cooler by the Lake’

Hey tamhas !

Indeed !! I went out to a smaller field two days ago and … there’s water standing in spots !

We received another 8-9 tenths yesterday.

Rich (haywool) second cutting will be like first cutting in quality

How did SWKS get into hay ??

Hay Rich,

What I have found is the weatherman is usually 10% accurate where we are … so if the prediction is for 100% rain then in reality a non rain event is 90%.

Another old saying … “I should have been a weatherman cause the pay is great and you never have to be right!”

Lay it down!

Anyway long SWKS and adding more next week.