SZYM comments

Here’s another comment by an apparent knowledgeable shareholder about the new product, Encapso. If anyone interested is following this stock on SA, I will stop copying these comments here. Saul, let me know.

IEW GEOSTEAM’S COMMENTS BY TICKER:
GWR, SZYM
LATEST COMMENTS | HIGHEST RATED
5 Things To Know About Solazyme’s Encapso [View article]
Kevin,

Once again I appreciate your work of keeping us well informed. I have taken the liberty of reposting this comment here, because it really applies to this discussion. Thanks for this new article, I hadn’t seen the graphic on the drilling results across North America. It shows the benefits.

------ Reposted -----

After reflecting on the Encapso video, I have become steadily more amazed by this achievement. Bear with me, read the following. I think you’ll like it.

The technology is amazing in its own right. A microscopic, hard shelled Encapso capsule, filled with lubricating oil, is added to drilling mud. Millions of these capsule begin their journey at near ambient temperature and pressure and then in a few milliseconds as the slurry passes through the drill rig’s mud pump the pressure is raised to perhaps 5,000 psi (mud pumps are driven by locomotive-sized engines - 2,000 hp is common). The capsules remain intact. The mud spends a few minutes traversing a tortuous, violent path through the drill pipe as the temperature rises to a few hundred degrees F and the pressure increases to perhaps 10,000 psi (for context, the allowable load on structural steel is 36,000 psi). There is a near instantaneous pressure drop as the mud blasts out through the holes in the tri-cone bit, picking up rock chips and beginning its journey back to the surface. A good portion of the 2,000 hp is dissipated at the drill bit – picturing a locomotive pumping its entire output through three 1/2 inch nozzles helps one visualize the chaotic violence at the bit. Apparently the Encapso capsules remain intact to this point - there is little need for lubrication until the mud exits the bit. Then, somewhere along the return around the bit and up the annulus, the steel rubs against the surrounding rock and squeezes some capsules enough to break their shell, whereupon the lubricant is released just at the point where it is needed. The oil locally reduces the friction, which in turn reduces the wear, reduces the torque and allows faster drilling. This is an amazing technological achievement – shells filled with oil, which are robust enough not to soften in the heat and/or split open when subjected to violent pressure changes, but then split open when needed.

The technology is amazing enough, but for me even more astonishing is how the Solazyme researchers came to produce such a product at all. It is not an obvious usage. I doubt if a mud engineer called Solazyme and asked if their oils could help speed down hole drilling. With a broad, strong sleuthing effort on a Solazyme’s researcher’s part, one can envision down hole lubrication might have been identified as a potential application, but Encapso is much more than another drilling mud oil additive – it is an ENCAPSULATED additive. Encapsulation is definitely not obvious.

Somewhere along the line, Solazyme’s researchers must have identified the benefits of encapsulation and sought a way to make the hard shell. Inevitably following this line of research would take time and money, perhaps even a lot of time and money. The product demonstrates that top management provided the necessary budget and time for that research to occur. The budget could not have been small, because testing prototypes was done in multiple wells for multiple companies across the country.

So for me the most astonishing insight is that those of us who are long, own a sliver of a company with a research team who somehow could identify this very non-obvious product in an non-obvious field, and who were given management’s support to follow the research trail necessary to develop to this apparently highly successful product.

For me this suggests that company is extremely well managed, and after a couple of days of reflection, I conclude I have never owned a company which has been so well managed, that could develop such a unique product. We don’t have enough information to guess the cost per ton of this material or the total potential sales of Encapso, but we have enough information to know this invention has a huge potential. Now, let’s ask ourselves, what are the chances there are other non-obvious markets out there that Solazyme’s researchers have been invisibly working on?

I have literally run out of words to describe how astonished, amazed and pleased I am with this company. Enough words, here’s what I am doing: Thanks to Gilgit’s head’s up, I am steadily moving SZYM shares from IRAs to Roth IRAs. It just seems like the thing to do. I believe with the hindsight of ten or twenty years it may well seem brilliant.

Geosteam

Just one guy’s opinion. Long Solazyme. No one paid me to write this.
Mar 31 09:15 AM|9 LikesLike|Report Abuse|Link to Comment Revisiting Solazyme, Part III: Putting The Plan In Motion [View article]
Kevin,

Thanks for this report. I appreciate the management team taking the time to discuss the company and its plans with you. While I am believer, I REALLY appreciate hearing from management periodically. The emerging ability of humanity (via Solazyme) to harness the power of algae to help solve humanity’s problems is so large, I cannot imagine all the impacts.

As a side note, I am in the process of reading all your SA posts beginning with the first. I’m up to your comment made on September 2, 2012. You have put a extraordinary amount of work into writing about Solazyme and I have found the writing to be exceptional well done.

Here’s a very hardy and sincere: Thank you.

GeoSteam

6 Likes

Finally, here’s a new article by Kevin Quon showing test results and whipping us into a buying frenzy, (though as Fools we should know better).

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2117543-5-things-to-know-abo…

PS I already have the amount of shares I intend to buy…until the financials begin to match the potential.
Mykie

Lastly, a negative report for balance by Jim Cramer.

PS earnings are out in May and maybe this will add clarity to the price:

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12570397/1/insider-trading-al…

And here the last Hidden Gem report. The author here doesn’t seem to mind that insiders have traded some stock recently.

http://newsletters.fool.com/1008/conversations/31168826?sour…

FYI and no more today
Mykie

Here’s another comment by an apparent knowledgeable shareholder about the new product, Encapso. If anyone interested is following this stock on SA, I will stop copying these comments here. Saul, let me know.

IEW GEOSTEAM’S COMMENTS BY TICKER:
GWR, SZYM
LATEST COMMENTS | HIGHEST RATED
5 Things To Know About Solazyme’s Encapso [View article]
Kevin,

Mykie,

Where are you finding these great posts?

Saul

Finally, here’s a new article by Kevin Quon showing test results and whipping us into a buying frenzy, (though as Fools we should know better).

Some quotes from that article
Saul

Solazyme’s microalgae is naturally encapsulated. An algae cell by itself is fundamentally an encapsulated product. This suggests that limited downstream processing after fermentation is needed apart from a drying step. Because the company is able to utilize both the oil and the shell of the microalgae in a single product, Solazyme can increase its margins while effectively limiting its waste.

Encapso’s specifications can be programmed to meet the needs of its customers. One of Solazyme’s strengths lies in its ability to control microalgae growth. By controlling the growing environment, the company can increase or decrease the composition of how much lipid or cell wall is produced. Through genetic recombination, the company can also program the cell to produce various kinds of tailored oils. This provides increased flexibility to client drillers who may require a specific formulation for a specific type of rock being drilled.

Solazyme recently completed field trials to demonstrate the efficacy of Encapso in real-world well operations. Shown in the graphic above, Encapso was utilized in various formations including the Williston Basin, the Permian Basin, and the Denver-Julesburg Basin. There, Solazyme demonstrated impressive results including triple-digit increases to penetration rates and deeper drilling depths. The following are two testimonies taken from clients found in a company video found here:

“In our testing, Encapso demonstrated its ability to reduce friction, reduce the drag, decrease the torque, and improve the penetration rate. It is a revolutionary formulation.”

-Frank Schuh, Inventor of Horizontal Drilling

“Because [Encapso] is liberated at the point of contact, I may be able to drill this well with two bits instead of five. Well every time I trip a bit out of the ground, it costs me $1 million dollars.”

-Philip O. Johnson, Senior Drilling Engineer

When it comes to drilling, efficiency is the name of the game as time equates to money. The quote shown above by Johnson fully illustrates this concept as he talks about the costs of raising a drill bit out of the borehole. This requires disassembling and reassembling drill pipe segments in a systematic fashion in order to reach the drill bit, which could be thousands of feet below ground. Because Encapso can limited the factors which induce friction during a drilling operation, client can protect valuable equipment, increase their drilling control, and ultimately reduce costs.

According to Solazyme’s press release found here, Encapso enabled one driller to increase the rate of penetration from 2 ft/hr up to 40 ft/hr. Presumably this was done in a horizontal well during a phase of directional drilling. Such increases to productivity enable drillers to accomplish their tasks in a more cost-efficient manner. This leads to cost savings which can directly attribute a greater value to Solazyme’s proprietary product.

3 Likes

Lastly, a negative report for balance by Jim Cramer.

I can’t believe Cramer bothered to post that an insider sold three tenths of one per cent of his holdings. That’s surely a non-event.

Saul

1 Like

Where are you finding these great posts?

Saul,

Glad you have not left for your travels yet.

All these are on Seeking Alpha, which was my favorite site until I joined MF One.

Everytime someone writes an article there, the comment section below is filled with knowledgeable and smart people. One has to read between the lines to make sure we aren’t being set up but the comment section will give you a good feeling for what’s right and what is not.

www.seekingalpha.com

You can sign up for free if you like. Then there are authors and stocks you can sign up for and get all articles written. But again, the commments are so valuable so if I don’t see a lot of comments, I usually accept the premise with a grain of salt.

The other day there was an amazing evaluation of BRK A&B, pages and pages of analysis and roundly accepted as a tremendous work. I already own a nice chunk of BRK B so I didn’t pass it around to anyone, well, Maybe I posted on the BRK B board, I don’t remember.

If you haven’t been using SA, let me know and after you cruise around there, let’s chat since there are a few tips I can give you that will enrich your experience there.
Mykie
PS was it the food article I sent you or another ENCAPSO article? And by the way, one of the recommendations on the ENCAPSO product in the article I did send, was from the man who invented horizontal drilling. Can’t get a much better reco than that!

According to Solazyme’s press release found here, Encapso enabled one driller to increase the rate of penetration from 2 ft/hr up to 40 ft/hr. Presumably this was done in a horizontal well during a phase of directional drilling. Such increases to productivity enable drillers to accomplish their tasks in a more cost-efficient manner. This leads to cost savings which can directly attribute a greater value to Solazyme’s proprietary product.

This is the quote from the inventor of horizontal drilling. Please check all my facts since passing 70 I make more mistakes in a week than I used to in a year. It was in the orignal article, quoted with his name and inventor label. If it’s important to double check it, I’ll roam around and try to find it again.

PS I did post that great BRK B article on Stock Advisor BRK B board but no one has read it yet, nor commented on it.
Mykie

“In our testing, Encapso demonstrated its ability to reduce friction, reduce the drag, decrease the torque, and improve the penetration rate. It is a revolutionary formulation.”

-Frank Schuh, Inventor of Horizontal Drilling

Sorry, the above with the inventor was in the article quotes that you posted a few posts back so you have already seen it. And I see you are already back from traveling too.

The other great quote was the guy who said every time he takes out a drill it costs him $1MM and he thought the friction reduction due to Encapso would (as I recall from a very faulty memory) save him a few replacements. I have an inexperienced, new investor that is deciding now whether to buy some or not and thinks something must be wrong as he sees ENCAPSO as the best thing since…well ever. And I could only offer that they had not made any money yet (but were building factories) and also, they are very small so big analysts weren’t tracking them yet. Does that sound like a fair assessment?
Mykie

2 Likes

That’s surely a non-event.

LoL!

If you haven’t been using SA, let me know and after you cruise around there, let’s chat since there are a few tips I can give you that will enrich your experience there.

Mykie,

Actually I do have a portfolio with them and have all my stocks checked for alerts, but they don’t send me the alerts when there are Seeking Alpha articles on the stocks I have checked. I must be doing something wrong, but I don’t know what.

Any suggestions will be welcomed.

Saul

Actually I do have a portfolio with them and have all my stocks checked for alerts, but they don’t send me the alerts when there are Seeking Alpha articles on the stocks I have checked. I must be doing something wrong, but I don’t know what.

Saul,
All I do is “Follow” any author that is writing on a stock I am interested in, including the short writers since they usually bring a chorus of longs to defend the stock. Then I can decide who is full of it.

Secondly, I try to comment on the article in question and then whenever a new comment is entered I get notified by a little box in orange at the top right of the tool bar with a number which signifies how many comments on how many articles I have commented on. If I have nothing to add, I thank the author.

Lastly, in the search box below the right side of the tool bar, I put in the stock symbol. That will bring up all articles written on that stock.

Hope that helps
Mykie