The 70's: Could it be that it comes again?

The 1970’s, nifty fifty superstars with great earnings and pe’s in the high 30’s or low 40’s so…

The 70’s were years and years of this nifty 50 bunch getting the living hell beat out of them, that is the stock prices getting all roughed up, all while the businesses did quite well. Could it happen again?

Meanwhile Elon is bored and breaking securities laws for entertainment, Bill is agitated at Elon, and Warren is yet again buying things that nobody likes and everyone can’t wait to taunt or condemn him about.

I think we are re-living the 70’s!

2 Likes

Oh…while I’m thinking about it, just one more thing. It was very popular back in the Coke days, or actually the days a few years after Coke was bought, for analysts to say, “Berkshire is now stuck with Coke and…well, Coke is over-valued and a huge part of the company and thus Berkshire just can’t do well.”

Turns out Berkshire ran right by Coke…no actually sprinted right by Coke…just left Coke behind. My guess is the Apple thing…well, Berkshire will once again sprint right on by Apple. And I’m willing to bet the oil/gas investments are gunna be the vehicles that enable some of this to happen.

Those along with energy…by damn Berkshire is nearly perfectly positioned for the next few years in my view.

3 Likes

Warren is yet again buying things that nobody likes and everyone can’t wait to taunt or condemn him about.

WEB is very late to the Energy trade. Many folks were bullish on Energy. I got into Energy almost Early Feb and just now mostly closed it for almost 100% gains.

BTW, most investment world hardly talks about Berkshire or WEB, except when he dings at Crypto. It is not WEB’s actions rather things he avoided deserves more scrutiny.

late ? Buffett got into Chevron and OXY back in 2020 with the warrants and early 2021 with CVX

2 Likes

Buffett got into Chevron and OXY back in 2020 with the warrants

Sure CVX. OXY warrants are derivative of the preferred investment. Not direct investment in equity. He is buying mid 50’s while he had an opportunity to buy at much lower price. Of course lot has changed and his thesis might have evolved. But Buffett was not buying energy in bulk when it was out of favor. His initial purchase of CVX is for $5B if I recollect.