The Energy Conundrum

In response to an article about energy at Seeking Alpha i wrote:

@Keith Williams “My read of what is actually happening suggests that the world can transition out of fossil fuels without expanding fossil fuel exploitation.”

It’s a nice thought but I would not count on it, not yet, not if the poorer parts of the world want to up their standard of living. We have not yet reached the tipping point where the growth of renewables is sufficient to meet the growing demand of the developing economies.

It was over a century ago that the First Lord of the Admiralty, Winston Churchill, decided to convert the Royal Navy from coal to petrol and declared petrol a legitimate war aim (WWI). Over a century later we are burning more coal than ever in part because the improving economies have bred more consumers who have higher standards of living. The goal posts keep moving!

Every time you prevent a famine you create demand for more energy. Nature solves the supply problem by killing off consumers. Human morals upset that way of balancing supply and demand. Ask any economist what’s needed for growth and the answer is more productive people, i.e. workers. But workers want better lifestyles and consume more energy. The solution might be to replace workers with humanoid robots that are more energy efficient that human workers.

The Captain

What does the above have to do with Type 2 Diabetes?

Overeating is what causes obesity and Type 2 Diabetes. Overeating is a waste of energy on bad outcomes. Not only the caloric energy wasted by the consumer but all the energy needed to grow, manufacture, transport, warehouse, sell, cook, and serve food that should never have been consumed in the first place. And to add grief to calamity all the energy wasted on fad diets, non-cures, unnecessary medications, extra large clothing, extra fuel per passenger to move that fat around the globe.

I think I better stop…
:roll_eyes:

7 Likes

What’s your lentil soup recipe Capn….I’ve misplaced it. It’s cold here and a good day for soup.

Lucky Dog

1 Like

What’s your lentil soup recipe Capn….I’ve misplaced it. It’s cold here and a good day for soup.

I don’t think I ever saved a lentil soup recipe but, LuckyDog, today is your lucky dog day! I’m going to be making a lentil/buckwheat stew. Add water and it’s a soup! :wink:

I like the small green fat lentils over the other larger, flatter ones. They don’t get mushy! Types of Lentils - Complete List and Guide - Northern Nester

Ingredients:

Half a cup of small green lentils
Half a cup of buckwheat
Mix, rinse well, and soak for about an hour. Less cooking time and more even cooking.

A medium or half a large white onion, diced.

Three or four cloves of garlic, chopped fine. Amount depends on your love or hate of garlic.

One medium carrot. Dice for stew or cut into thin round slices for soup – they look nice – learned from a Portuguese chef.

3/4 pounds of lean pork, beef, or other meat. Dice into byte, no, BITE sized bits.

Herbs: Chives, parsley, cilantro, oregano, mint goes nicely with pork, whatever suits your fancy or you happen to have at home.

Olive oil, apple cider vinegar, black pepper, paprika, salt.

Knorr chicken cube bouillon – my mom insisted on Knorr.

Water.

Preparation:

Rinse and soak the lentils and buckwheat. Set aside.

Dice the onion. Set aside.
Dice the garlic. Set aside.
Dice/slice the carrot. Set aside.

Trim the fat and sinew off the meat of your choice and cut into bite sized chunks. Set aside.

Add olive oil to a large deep pot. Heat on medium. Drop a small piece of onion into the oil, when it starts to bubble, add the onions. Stir to keep it from burning. When soft add the garlic and stir. The idea is to flavor the olive oil, not to brown the garlic. After a minute or so add the meat and stir until it is seared on all sides. Add two or three cups of water, enough to cover the meat twice over. When it starts to boil add the chicken bouillon cube, salt, pepper, paprika, and a dash of apple cider vinegar. Stir, lower the heat to minimum and cover.

Depending on the meat you are using let it cook for half an hour to an hour. Test for doneness. Before it’s fully done add the lentils, buckwheat and dry herbs. Add water to cover if need.

Some 15 or 20 minutes later test the lentils for doneness. Add the carrots. Add the fresh herbs of your choice. As the French say, ‘correct the seasoning’ which in my case usually means add salt. Cook another 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the soup/stew stand for a few minutes.

Enjoy!

The Captain

5 Likes

Thank you dear Captain! I will gather the ingredients today and start the cooking.
I just had my breakfast but now I’m hungry for this soup. :slight_smile:

Lucky Dog

Always skip to the bottom to see the conclusion. Big time saver. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: