The is a new conductor in town

And he has up ended a lot of electrical theory.

“Scientists have discovered a way to create a material that can be made like a plastic, but conducts electricity more like a metal. The research shows how to make a kind of material in which the molecular fragments are jumbled and disordered, but can still conduct electricity extremely well. This goes against all of the rules we know about for conductivity.”

I do not know how this will play out, but just the sentence, “This goes against all the rules we know about conductivity” means we have opened a whole new avenue of research in materials science.

Cheers
Qazulight

10 Likes

Qaz,

My immediate thought is fuel cells.

More thoughts semi conductors and super conductors. This will be one family of materials and there may be other families of materials.

1 Like

The material is Ni tetrathiafulvalene tetrathiolate.

Because the molecule can be substituted with several different metal ions (iron, nickel, palladium, platinum and tin) there are lots of potential combinations to be tested.

This is an exciting new concept with lots of potential applications since the polymer is formable and stable.

Wendy

9 Likes

Wendy,

My thinking the first hint of this for humans was about five years ago when Li batteries were found to be more stable when their structure was asymmetric.

Or possibly a first sight of another study set to find its way to the Journal of Irreproducible Results. No special insight at all beyond the fact that this is a gussied up press release and these articles never err on the side of circumspection pending decent peer review.

Certainly seems like an exciting proposition but, full disclosure…absolutely no knowledge, skill or expertise in this field in order to be due an opinion. Fortunately the article is from Science Daily which, at least, usually adds the caveat that the article is actually based on the material supplied to them by the research institution along with the link to the primary document. It’s behind a paywall so the limited amount that I could see confirms that it’s well above my pay grade for full understanding…

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-05261-4

2 Likes

My BIL MIT Physics Professor is impressed and surprised. Sees the authors as legitimate.

1 Like

Well, I’m surprised and impressed also …and in no way am I trying to imply lack of legitimacy on the part of the authors…but per the banner headlines, this seems quite new and quite novel (and no publications in this field listed for the first author) I think most researchers in the field might be waiting on follow-up studies to demonstrate reproducibility regardless. It certainly wouldn’t be the first impressive and surprising publication to fail the reproducibility test, though, would it.

This is really very exciting. Thanks for posting it here!

My first line of wondering is how wide/tall it can be and still work? Can it be several molecules wide/tall and still conduct? If so, it may even have applications in the semiconductor world (as mentioned in the article). The whole “lasagna” analogy is interesting …

3 Likes