The long & short of it

An international team of researchers compared measures of height, both genetic and physical, with the presence of more than a thousand traits in more than 280,000 US adults, confirming suspicions that height is linked with a number of common diseases.

“Using genetic methods applied to the VA Million Veteran Program, we found evidence that adult height may impact over 100 clinical traits, including several conditions associated with poor outcomes and quality of life – peripheral neuropathy, lower extremity ulcers, and chronic venous insufficiency,” ………

"We conclude

Scientists have known for some time that tall people are at greater risk of a variety of cancers, not to mention conditions like ruptured aortas and pulmonary embolisms.

Not that shorter folk have it much better, facing increased chances of coronary disease, stroke, liver disease, and mental health disorders

Sorry, hit the submit button by accident. Too much sun from gardening today.

Link below.

The long & short of it is we’re all doomed.

Happy Friday, all!

AW

https://www.sciencealert.com/massive-new-study-confirms-bein…

4 Likes

I liked the part where “tall” is 5’-9" and above.

intercst

1 Like

An international team of researchers compared measures of height, both genetic and physical, with the presence of more than a thousand traits

Let’s see. At the 5% significance level, for how many traits would we expect to find a correlation? The exercise is left for the student to calculate.

DB2
Who is tall physically but not genetically…

Not that shorter folk have it much better,

Only one group of humans has as much risk as people who are shorter than 5’9”, and that is people 5’9” or taller

1 Like

My father was taller than his father by a couple of inches (and probably a foot taller than his mother) and my mother was taller than her father. I’m taller than my father was by a couple of inches and taller by a few more than my mother.

I figure nutritional differences and environment had as much to do with my height as genetics, so dietary and life-style differences between tall/short people as genetics (and at 6’ 2", I would have a completely different definition of “tall” than the article).

The study just shows that by manipulating variable limits, you can prove anything you want with statistics.

Jeff

2 Likes

… you can prove anything you want with statistics.

Exactly*!*

Statistically six out of seven dwarves are not Happy*!*